Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't really get a strong response in the GM advice thread, so I thought I'd ask here -

1. What would be a basic outline for a oneshot of Rifts? I'm still not really sure what you should do with the setting. I'm thinking something simple like:

"You're on the outskirts of a Coalition outpost. There is a MacGuffin inside. Get in, take it, and get out. No restrictions on collateral damage"

2. What kind of opposition would be appropriate for a group of starting characters? It seems like most characters would have access to MDC weapons, so I was thinking like a dozen Coalition Grunts in the Dead Boy armor scattered across the outpost. But then someone just might take a Glitter Boy and blow up everything from a mile away, or does it not work like that?

3. Are there any restrictions or guidelines you'd place on character creation? I'd like to keep the rolling mechanics for stat generation, but then allowing people to assign rolls to the stats rather than in order, and maybe if they want to have a particular class, to increase any lacking stats to the minimum.

Are there any classes that I should consider "banning", or at least keeping an eye out for with regards to the larger group composition? I mean, Vagabonds seem like they'd be a joke class to throw in alongside everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

occamsnailfile posted:

1. "What do you DO with Rifts" is perhaps the game's most significant problem. They set up hooks sometimes but often they just toss the kitchen sink out there and expect you to figure it out. So, "fetch MacGuffin from Coalition guys" is a perfectly valid hook, as long as your adventurers have a reason to be working together--Rifts often seems to have the assumption that you're some kind of mercenary team, but it never explicitly states this as an expectation, or gives hints on how to connect a Hydra, a Glitter Boy, a Techno-Wizard, and a Godling together. If you're making pre-gens then that part is easy at least.

Thanks. The concept of The Tomorrow Legion from Savage Rifts was something I was hoping to leverage as a justification for a bunch of different persons working together in a common cause. I just don't like the Savage Worlds ruleset at all.

occamsnailfile posted:

3. Allowing people to assign stats is fine for humans, but a lot of nonhuman races get modified stat rolls. For those cases it's easier to just increase stats to the minimums or ignore the minimums anyway because they're not well thought out. ARB explained the really deeply broken combo that can be made with the Sea Inquisitor previously but I doubt most people would think to do that, Godlings are a more likely threat to game balance--they're just plain superior to humans but then they get an OCC as well. For a one-shot it doesn't matter as much but if somebody is really determined to play a Vagabond you could just give them some better gear or magic items maybe. But yeah banning a lot of the 'useless' classes might be a good idea.

Thanks. I was thinking of just using the Corebook for now, so I don't expect a lot of "dumpster diving" for obscure OCCs/RCCs from other soucebooks.

Kai Tave posted:

Rifts is basically sandbox D&D but with power armor and Dragon-Blood Neo-Juicer Borgs instead of elves and fighters.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If you have time on your hands, I did audio reviews of Rifts Game Shield & Adventures and Rifts Index & Adventures 1, which have bad adventures but can give an idea of intended play. Like Kai Tave said, Rifts' intended structure is basically a Points of Light D&D with mostly overland questing instead of a lot of dungeons (though there is the occasional dungeon-styled affair).

Thanks. It seems a lot simpler to think about it that way.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I would have people at least roll an extra d6 for stats in place of the bonus d6 they get for high rolls, personally (save for powerful supernatural creatures like Dragons, I'd leave their stat rolls alone).

Do you mean just a straight 4d6 roll, rather than 3d6-with-another-d6-if-the-original-is-high-enough?

• Locked thread