Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Most Palladium games before Rifts Ultimate Edition are written in the form of early-eighties games, where rules were just something you generally threw into a game without too much handholding. Explanations of play, turn order, and other clarifying stuff that's standard to RPGs now just doesn't exist in a lot of Palladium games.

Yeah, I think somebody on rpg.net noticed a couple months ago that apparently none of the (older?) Palladium main books actually explain how skills work. The actual mechanical process of "roll percentile dice looking for a result under your skill total" is completely unmentioned and just left to inference.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That would be Transdimensional Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. No shame there, I think it's probably the best book Erick Wujcik did for Palladium Books.

TTMNT is pretty sweet, no doubt about it, but I'm also really fond of the flying leap into gonzo mysticism he took in Mystic China. Puke bombs of living energy into your enemies! Play a reformed demon punching his way towards reincarnation as a human! Or a demon hunter wearing spiked football pads and wielding a three-foot bronze statue as a club! Avoid the Six False Methods of Immortality!

Then again, TTMNT has the amazingly petty "I will burn all my time-travel spell-slots to prove you ate the last cookie" example of play. Oh, I can't choose.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 15, 2013

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I'm always so torn on Rifts. On one hand I'm deeply attracted to the :black101: of the setting, but on the other hand the descriptions of the rules really make me shudder. I've had the main rulebook for years but have never played a game and it was usually the 'heh, why don't we play Rifts' joke option.

Tenra Bansho Zero does a drat good job of delivering on Rifts' kind of gonzo without the cumbersome and "go balance the party your loving self" parts of the rules. You can trivially play a psychic ogre ninja, cyborg wizard, or mecha pilot carved from a tree. Hell, wormspeakers from Wormwood are just straight-up in there. Been enjoying the hell out of it every time I've played.

• Locked thread