Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

My friend used to be a huge Palladium fan, and he went in for that Heroes of the Megaverse or whatever book, where you basically just donated to Kevin and he put your name in a book that had a picture at the front and then just a bunch of names. When he got the book it turned out they spelled his name wrong.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Kevin discouraged us from collaborating.

Uh. Was there some reasoning given or anything? That's a fascinatingly bad thing to do to your own products. I'm intensely curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

clockworkjoe posted:

I'd like to hear more about how the Coalition War was hosed up. I never read into it. The last book I read about the CS war was the military campaign book that stated the CS had 1 million SAMAS units in storage. One. loving. Million. SAMAS power armor units.

This is from vague memories based on skims and second-hand information, but…

Tolkeen's characterization changes. They were just these guys in a magic city, except now they've got demon pacts and poo poo that never came up before. Because Kevin didn't want the war to be as morally one-sided as "Gandalf vs. the TechnoNazis" sounds.

Part of the scenario is that the Coalition forces trudge through Xitizik-or-however-you-spell-it territory. This is basically a giant hive of xenomorphs from Alien and/or the Brood from Marvel. Lucky for them, all the Guaranteed Death Aliens just happened to be asleep because it was hibernation season or whatever.

The biggest problem is that the Coalition lacks the infrastructure to really fight sentient teleporting nukes, which is what a powerful wizard could be. Hell, low-level teleport spells just to send powerful explosives to a chosen destination opens up tons of possibilities and really fucks the Coalition's chances.

Sure, there're probably safeguards around high-level personnel—probably even magical ones despite the hypocrisy of that. A relatively small team of dedicated wizards could still completely decimate them. But they don't, because then instead of a bunch of books, you'd only have to buy a five-page pamphlet about how the Coalition doesn't exist anymore.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The first "amateur Poser-style" book cover I saw was some Shadow World module in the early or mid 90s. It was only some tower on a crag, but it still looked like poo poo. I'm always baffled by actual professional companies (even Palladium) going that route. You could pull some hand drawn drek from the bowels of DA, probably for even cheaper than mom's friend's cousin who torrents Maya 3D, and it would still look 100x better.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I only just started reading, but: Jesus Christ, trying to act like the quarter-century dead TMNT license is at all relevant to Palladium today, or that anyone who didn't already know about it would give a poo poo. And thinking anyone by now who wants to know any of this crap didn't already find it out long ago without a ridic huge wall of text KS update.

Extra :laffo: at mentioning the movie deal. Keep that flame burning, Kevin!

Edit:

quote:

We thought we had all our bases covered. And we did. But only to a point.

:psyduck: You dense motherfucker…

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 7, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"We had no idea how fulfillment would be done; we just assumed Ninja Division would handle it."

:psyboom:

Also:

quote:

But again, I digress.

Also also:

quote:

To make a long story short

A couple paragraphs before "Oops, we hit the character limit for KS updates, please see part 2!"

Edit whatever:

quote:

To be honest, we have been so savaged for the many delays and changing release dates in the past, that we are afraid to offer release dates or certain details until we are sure of them. That has resulted in fewer updates over the past few months. In fact, I have had several advisors tell me not to even say that we are trying hard for an end of 2015 release for Wave Two. But we really are. That’s what I want more than anything. If we can make it happen, we will. Again, going into all the reasons for the delays or why we might not be able to make a release date is excruciating and we are not going to put ourselves or you through that pain. We just aren’t. We will, of course, release what we consider to be reasonable information and data as we get it. And we’ll try to do so more often. PLEASE remember this is all a work in progress. Things change.

What in the everliving gently caress was the previous one billion words?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 7, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

10,149 words.

10,149 words.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I cannot stress enough how hard it blows my mind that product fulfillment was just a loving mystery to everyone involved until someone in China was all "Okay, we are done with the first batch. Where do we send them?" For all that goons as a whole talk about TG industry incompetence, I am gobsmacked that even Palladium spent literal years twiddling their thumbs not figuring out how their millions of dollars of product would reach customers.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 7, 2015

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I went to the Palladium forums to see if there was any good grog after that interminable Kickstarter two-parter, and I guess it's policy that they don't read their own forums or Kickstarter comments for feedback. Even after specifically requesting feedback. A moderator suggested that perhaps PMs or e-mailing the KS account would work. Maybe this is old news, maybe I even knew about it before and forgot in the months or years since I last went there, but I feel like I'm falling down an incredibly stupid rabbit hole.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I fully believe that he's just being a sincere enthusiastic consumer, which is why it's so funny that it looks like bullshit spam.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if it turned out he's getting paid to advertise, though.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It looks like some of the stuff isn't so unreasonable. Disney cels seem to rapidly climb in price the older they are. On the other hand :lol: at photocopy proofs of recent magazines, even though I'm sure they'll sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Depends on how much you're influenced by first impressions and how much you care about layout, writing quality and mechanics. There's an energy to the original, but that's really all its got going for it.

• Locked thread