Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Remember, there's a whole genre of fiction out there that's essentially military sci-fi about Hard Men Making Hard Choice up to and including the guy who had, what was it, de-aged SS officers leading earth's glorious defense against alien invaders? What I'm saying is that Sembieda gradually trying to turn the Coalition into cool dudes for fun gametimes isn't terribly surprising. The same thing happened to Warhammer 40K over the years and that's a game whose roots go back to Thatcherite Britain and 2000AD comics making fun of fascism and now it's pretty much unrepentant Space Marines Are Good Guys stuff. People fuckin love robots with skulls on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Rifts is basically sandbox D&D but with power armor and Dragon-Blood Neo-Juicer Borgs instead of elves and fighters. This is (one of) the game's (many) flaws, which is that underneath all the 80's action figure sugar-rush hyperactive 12-year old dress it's yet another game where the general throughline is "a bunch of rootless wanderers wander rootlessly, killing bandits and raiding dungeons for loot and/or quest items." Like you can try to make a Rifts game that had a much stronger sense of plot or story about, I dunno, liberating the Coalition States or battling the machinations of one of the twelve billion hyperintelligent alien overminds/AI cores/demons/whatever that are constantly dicking around with earth, but it's not like you couldn't do that sort of thing in sandbox D&D already, so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks. It seems a lot simpler to think about it that way.

I mean I'm admittedly being a little lovely about it as is the way of our people but I'm also being serious, Rifts is essentially just a giant sandbox sorta game with no greater goal or purpose than what you give it, and most of the time that's going to be trekking to X in order to get Y for Z or fighting random Coalition patrols on your way to...actually I'm not really even sure that there's a huge exploration element to Rifts because it likes to talk up the apocalypse but honestly it's a post-post-apocalypse setting, I'm sure there are some ruins and underground labs and stuff but for the most part society has made a lot of headway towards pulling itself out of the post-rifts chaos that toppled the old world.

• Locked thread