Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Never played a Palladium game before, but I backed Robotech - latest news on that is that despite all the poo poo they stirred up by declaring they were going to sell it at GenCon before backers got theirs despite promising this would never be the case, and supporting that with a fake vote and an angsty backer update, and then that they had used a loophole to get out of a playing space fee by having their demo games and product in the RPG room instead of the minis hall, it now turns out that they made no allowance for potential customs inspections in their timetable.

Their container got flagged, and now it's not going to get to them in time for GenCon :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Alien Rope Burn posted:

But "fake vote"? You have anything more on that?

After they announced what they were doing there was a massive backlash in the comments, so they held a yes or no vote, except any backer who did not vote at all was going to be counted as a yes vote by default. Since the fix was in, most people didn't bother to vote and they got to trumpet a healthy 72% in favour of their bullshit.

They've also overpromised and undelivered on the minis, both in terms of delivery date, and the final product they've shown in photos. Single shipping in December last year (after hinting at and missing a possible October delivery) has turned into a first wave of some of the things in the starter box in August this year - which they have again missed, after missing January, April and May - and the rest in a second wave at a date they now refuse to publish because "too many people jumped on them" when they announced other dates, as though that were our fault. The minis are over engineered, too many parts, ugly seams, poor detail.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 9, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bieeardo posted:

Good god. I saw seventy-some new posts and thought something spectacularly awful had happened to the Robotech miniatures game, or KS had finally completed his metamorphosis into an alien intelligence.

I thought Kevin had burned the place down to stop creditors getting their hands on his stuff

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

North America is supposed to be complete, Europe is just starting now, and people in Australia and New Zealand won't get theirs until 6 months after retailers in the US have stock because Siembieda is a liar and a thief

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My first wave of Robotech arrived today, a year and a half late, and a week after the kickstarter campaign for the first major expansion of Deadzone kicked off - Deadzone being the similarly sized and financed project that run on KS at the same time as Robotech.

It's going to take me a while to get all of these many, tiny pieces assembled enough to play with the rules a bit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Who wants to read a Kevin Siembieda ego trip, sob story, blame game, credit grab, and money beg all in one?

Part 1: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/1255963

and because he hit the character limit

Part 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacticstm/posts/1256008

Absolutely no understanding at all that he and his company are the sole reason behind this failure. Mismanagement to the extreme.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ninja Division is a combination of Soda Pop Miniatures (Super Dungeon Explore, Tentacle Bento) and Cipher Studios (Hell Dorado, Anima Tactics), both of which are studios that used to work under Cool Mini or Not, but recently broke away to form their own company.

About the only positive spin I see is that Siembieda credits Thomas Roache pretty hard, and it's about fuckin' time. He's thanked him in the past, but there literally would be no Robotech miniatures project at Palladium without him pushing it. As for him squeezing fans for money, see the "Raw Preview Editions" above, or him trying to sell signed galley proofs of books at conventions. At least he's selling something that isn't just a byproduct of the publishing process, even if it is $22 for a 6mm figure. (What really distinguishes Max or Miriya's veritechs at the 6mm scale, anyway? Wouldn't a good paint job fool anybody but a tiny minority of hardcore Robotech fans?)

Actually, not even that is 100% true - Jon Paulson is the real reason there is a Robotech minis game, everything he did predates Thomas Roache by a few months. He got the idea, he cast the first prototypes, he started the facebook community with a couple thousand people joining it, and he took the prototypes and the concept to Siembieda to propose making a miniatures game for them. Siembieda declined throough lack of interest, then immediately turned around, took the entire concept out and shopped it around himself and got Ninja Division on board.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Not that Tom Roache did nothing, I think he was pushing that it would be a really good idea to have a Robotech minis game, just that Paulson was doing the hard yards sculpting and casting.

Reading some old posts, Paulson went to Harmony Gold first, they liked the idea but had to direct him to Palladium because of the rights deal.

quote:

This week, Palladium Books signed a deal to expand its current Robotech® license with Harmony Gold USA, Inc., including the right to produce and sell pewter game pieces of Robotech® mecha and spaceships. This has been one of the secret projects we’ve been working on for months. Our thanks to Tom Roache, Jon Paulson, Jeff Burke and Carmen Bellaire, along with many others, for their help with our investigation and research on the subject. How soon can you expect to see 1/285 scale mecha available? Probably not until next year sometime. We’ll keep you posted. Sculptors wanted.

An update from Palladium, after the approach, but before signing with Ninja Division I believe.

Paulson decided to make his own game instead http://www.mechafront.com/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think Ninja Division were excited to get a big deal contract, didn't realise until they were in it how toxic a three way relationship with Palladium and Harmony Gold would be, got out once the terms were completed, and now don't want to talk about it at all. People have tried asking them at conventions and they change the subject, like that lovely ex who sold all your furniture to buy meth that you never want to mention again.

I've heard a similar story about a nascent Starcraft minis game that died before it really started, taking 3 months just to get a list of necessary changes to a sculpt back to the sculptors from Activision, and each approval needing to be stamped by a sea of managers along the way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The mod on the Palladium forums has Koolaid running through his veins, everything short of sunshine lollipops and rainbows usually gets locked and end in a ban for the poster, apparently.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JohnnyCanuck posted:

If you don't think KS will demand that he be buried with his precious IP and that nobody else ever gets to touch it...

Not if Palladium gets wound up he won't, which is what will happen when people launch legal action for the wave 2 stuff not being delivered - and as much as KS is not a preorder, Palladium did continue to sell everything from the KS using Backerkit, which is a preorder is far as US law goes

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Of course the best part is that after putting out Robotech RPG Tactics wave 1 in 6mm scale, and then wave 2 in 6mm scale, Siembieda has decided for everyone that he's going to immediately switch to 15mm for the next two eras and any future releases of the first era, essentially invalidating everything anyone has bought up until now. All of this because he's decided Invid and Cyclones in 6mm are going to be too small.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They're having a predetermined poll in the update comments - Kevin already deccided he wants 15mm - on whether or not to make all future products in 15mm, mixed scale, or the original 6mm, making games between eras incompatible, as well as other stuff like terrain. All this because Kevin decided 6mm scale Cyclones would be too small, after all this work has been done already.

quote:

6mm.

My favorite part is that someone in your office was savvy enough to pull all the backerkit emails and subscribe them to PB's Weekly Incompetence Update but do not the same thing for a Surveymonkey.

Your track record says you'll do whatever you want either way, but I can't help but feel sorry for whichever of your hapless knob-polishers has to make the gesture of sorting through all these pages to count votes. For a potential line extension to a product you've spent 2 years not completing. You're burning labor that could be better spent re-packing & hawking tangentially-related miniatures to people with whom you haven't fulfilled initial orders. Most likely to drum up cash to produce something you've already sold. No wonder people have stolen from you.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

EverettLO posted:

So Robotech Tactics is 80% off at DGI. Is this game any good aside from the issues with bad sprue space usage/miniature design? The rules look workmanlike and functional but I've never seen anyone actually playing it. I was wondering if the sale linked was indicative of bad sales for the game line or if it's just business as usual.

I haven't been able to play it, but the general gist is that it has a good core, though it's weighed down by excessive Palladium RPG style minutiae, and has a problem with missiles being too powerful. Nothing a good balance pass and an editor with wargame rules experience couldn't fix with a FAQ.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

unseenlibrarian posted:

I can only hope that one of the terms of the agreement was that PEG handles everything about the kickstarter because they do good work on those, and pretty much deliver on time for the prediction or even a bit early.

Oh, you sweet summer child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Especially since they appear to be out of money, while still being on the hook for half a million worth of Robotech minis

• Locked thread