Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I am definitely enjoying the writeups, and am looking forward to seeing who you take a look at next.

Now that the new version of fate is out, I am taking a look at it to see how well it would handle a rifts game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

BerkerkLurk posted:

I'm playing Rifts again as a Dog Boy and some of the quirks of the system are jumping out at me. Here I am in a master psionic class with a ton of ISP and nothing to do with it. The magic sniffing powers that the class is built around are free to use with a percentile roll. The sensitive psionics you get on top of that, like Sense Magic or Sense Evil (which only works on ghosts and such) are redundant with crappier range. I will never, ever run out of ISP and as a Coalition soldier I'll probably never get to use it on techno wizardry.

Sixth Sense is great and See The Invisible has utility, but again, I better be creeping around a haunted house and not flying through the air having laser battles.

I always loved the concept and idea of the dog boy, but gently caress actually trying to play one.

Actually, that's pretty much rifts. I really need to spend some time with FATE and maybe throw together a couple classes. Then find a group to play with :effort:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I've been thinking about giving it a go in FATE, which let's me drop out the worst of the rules and use aspects and stunts to better define a character.

But I think MDC is a terrible concept and am going to drop entirely.

The only thing I have found lacking so far is gear in FATE, but if my players really want that then I will figure something out.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

drat you're good. Stunts are something I really struggle with

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I still struggle, but I've been practicing, at least. Stunts are kind of a place you can go sideways and do the complicated bits of design you otherwise don't see in Fate's core rules. Stuff like Atomic Robo and Breakfast Cult are my standout examples for good stunt design and ideas, but I still haven't explored Fate implementations extensively.

If you want, I could share some of the preliminary ideas I put together for Rifts skill modes and the like. Warning: it's kinda dumb! But I did write some.

I have been looking at inverse world fae for my inspiration.

I would love to see what you got.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This is reliant on being familiar with Atomic Robo, but here you go.

I like it. I was planning on keeping the standard AR skill list though. I think most OCC's and RCC's could be covered by modes of existing skills.

What I have been struggling with is how to make a general purpose spell caster like the Ley Line Walker. I could make one generic magic skill that lets you do all 4 actions, but that is kind of boring.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

I can't wait to see how Kevin fucks this up.

If they are involved in the Kickstarter at all, I'm probably going to avoid it like the plague. Or back at the cheapest pdf level to watch the glorious blaming updates that will inevitably follow.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I can only hope that interference from KS is listed under Challenges for this Kickstarter.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/rifts-for-savage-worlds

Hit the goal in less than an hour.

Now with awesome stretch goals like:
- $90,000 D-Bee: Grackle Tooth Race information for playing one of the more beloved Rifts® D-Bees, the Mighty Grackle Tooth! (PDF)
- $110,000 D-Bee: D'Norr The D'Norr "Devil People" are a much misunderstood, often maligned D-Bee race, but there's a lot of fun potential in playing one.
- $160,000 Northern Gun Body Armor Set A set of three specially designed sets of Body Armor from Northern Gun: the Cannonball Ride Armor, the NG Maverick Riding Armor, and the NG Peacekeeper Armor. (PDF)
- $190,000 V61 Gunwolf Robot Armor One of Northern Gun's more evocative designs, complete with the wolf head, designed for monster hunting. (PDF)

It seems like all the garbage tier Dbees from War Machine are making the new version for some reason.

On the other hand, there have added PSI stalkers and Dog boys at stretch goals which are much more interesting to me.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Just got my books! Anyone played this yet?

Still haven't given up my dream of using Fate Atomic Robo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Much like Palladium, this thread gets just enough attention to not slip into oblivion.

• Locked thread