Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's... possible? I admit I haven't experienced it. I know there are some specialized builds that break the game, like a M.A.R.S. build that takes a bunch of armor options to end up with an armor rating in the 30s, or a Burster build that does 50+ damage. The balance in the game is to some extent by "feel" - Glitter Boys and Flame Wind Hatchlings get the most points for their packages, but the Glitter Boy does only one thing exceedingly well (do damage) and the Flame Wind Hatchling gets a poo poo-ton of advantages but isn't particularly great at anything. Mind Melters are the worst off on sheer points, surprisingly, but they have one of the broadest powersets. Of course, a lot of that is based on how Savage Worlds quantifies things and stuff like edges and drawbacks aren't super-tight in their balance.

But yeah, you can do stupid things with M.A.R.S. builds if it's allowed, it's something I'd put the kibosh on if I saw it. But given the M.A.R.S. builds I've seen for my game are a perfectly reasonable cyber-warrior or a d'norr rogue scholar skill monkey, I'd say most M.A.R.S. characters will be okay unless they deliberately know Savage Worlds and try and do a degenerate build (and / or get great rolls for whatever they're trying to do).

Mind Melters are actually fairly bad though I think. The other iconic frameworks generally have some reason you'd consider taking them over a M.A.R.S. character trying to do the same thing, but a Personal Concept Option Master Psionic is basically just a better version of the Mnd Melter if you have even middling rolls. They also don't really have extra flexibility when compared to the other power-based iconic frameworks. Even with the loose-ish balance they could stand a bit of a power boost.

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread