Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

THE DISCIPLE gets a speaking part!
No! Yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Spoilers! It wasn't Ciclope!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This is a perfect example of the nonsensical booking WCW was succumbing to all throughout 1998. La Parka is already Chairman of WCW; why should he wrestle for a mere heavyweight belt? At least they're actually putting him on TV instead of writing him off like they did with Flair, their other top star.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Public Enemy vs Barbarian and Hugh Morrus

Chris Benoit vs Fit Finlay

SICK BOY vs Mortis

Chris Adams vs The Giant
Very very sad that I'm going to miss these.

When I was young(er) and dumb(er) I thought Chris Adam was some lovely worker who knew a little karate and stumbled onto the superkick, because I'd only seen him wrestle after he was a total wreck.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'll be late to the party, but I'll be there. Don't let the name scare you or fool you, baby.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As the resident fellow in Warrior Studies research, I am very sad to have missed this historic Nitro...perhaps the most important Nitro in the history of our sport. I was moving.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Speak to me, Warriors!

Talk to me, Warriors!

Last week, after years of absence and a sporadic career, I stood face to face with the man I, at one time, looked up on as my mentor.

It’s common knowledge that if you want to excel in any field, you study the masters, emulate the champions, model the virtues of the preeminent individuals in that particular field.

You, Hogan, were the model of champion, the master of everything I tried to emulate. Yeah, last week, when I looked through your eyes into your soul, I saw little or none of the virtues I remember, or anybody here remembers.

And if there are any, they lay shrouded beneath layers of deceit and infamy!

Frankly, Hogan, how your present condition manifested itself isn’t the material that needs to be analyzed and brought to closure on the world’s number one wrestling program. Bottom line is, you sold out to mediocrity. And when that became difficult, you sold out to mindless self-pity.

You traded being one in a million, for becoming one of the millions!

I hear you! Patience, Warriors. Patience is a great virtue.

You, Hogan, miscalculated, for you never assumed someone would come forward that knew the difference between a rebellion and a revolution. And that, Hogan, will become your gravest mistake. For tonight, Hogan, everything that you revere is now, from this moment forth, threatened!

Tonight, Hogan, your entire world is going to turn completely upside-down. For tonight…for tonight, Hogan, I launch, unleash the power of the Warriors! I let loose the O.W.N. revolution. The One Warrior Nation revolution!

A Hero, a one-time hero, with an unlimited yet undisciplined mind is a dangerous thing.

I intend, the Warriors intend, to eradicate that danger. You, Hogan, will be destroyed. I intend…I intend to show the world that a revolution is built on better ideas, not belligerent idiocy. I intend to show the world a revolution is based on magnificence, not malfeasance. I intend to show that a revolution is based on courage, not cowardice. And that, Hogan, is all that you need to know. Next week, Hogan, the revolution continues. Same Warrior time, same Warrior place, same Warrior channel!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DynamiteKidd posted:

Also Mongo; every time Mongo has a match you expect it to be a quick squash but he spends most of them getting beat up by guys who've never won on Nitro.
I suspect that was because his offense was truly awful. It's kind of amusing when he would do one of those not-quite-a-moves and Schiavone would say something like "Mongo definitely did an actual takedown there!" He really challenged the play-by-play skills of a guy who already calls way too many things a "side slam."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Writer Cath posted:

Man, we might need a replay on this episode, because I'm super sad I missed it.
Yeah, some of us do stuff on Labour Day Weekend! :argh:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

If you guys want to rewatch something it always stays on the playlist until the next Nitro airs.

Yes but the attendees in the chat missed my seminar on Warrior mythology.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
We got to see La Parka twice when he wasn't even on the card. A great Nitro.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I had no idea that Prince Iaukea was a legit shooter and trained by Dean Malenko. I don't remember ever hearing him speak, and in the 90s I was a big mark for all the WCW midcard workers but I couldn't be more bored with the barefoot island guy.

Looking at the stats, apparently my birthday present in 2000 was WCW not putting The Artist Formerly Known as Prince Iaukea on Nitro anymore. Thanks, WCW.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 29, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm never sober for Nitro. Well, more sober than Scott Hall.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

It would be a pretty long run.
That's like less than a third of a mile. Are you confusing Goldberg with Warrior?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

He might run through the competition but he can't run through buildings.

:colbert:

There probably wasn't even a Starbucks then, so no temptation to stop.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well then it's a 15 minute walk and Jericho will open the door for him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If the only way I can see Scott Norton is by also seeing the Cat, I'll take it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, he must have copypasted from his post in the PSPTV thread yesterday. I have a ton of poo poo to do before I leave on vacation tomorrow but I want to Nitro so hard tonight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The best thing about the NLS vs. the West Texas Rednecks was how the Rednecks were supposed to be racist heels, but that doesn't work when a) they're vastly outnumbered by a horde of sorta-uniformed, faceless goons we've never seen before, b) WCW likely had an older, more rural audience than WWF, and c) Master P is really loving obnoxious. Then "Rap is Crap" started getting airplay on country stations and they had to flip it.

I'm still amazed at how much money they blew on the angle. Besides what they were paying Master P per-appearance, didn't Swole have like a $300k contract? Maybe that was over three years and they released him long before they'd paid out, but that's still a ton of money for another nobody that nobody remembers.

I remember absolutely hating the No Limit Soldiers, in a "get off my screen" sense. It's like they hired a bunch of nobodies from outside an already overstuffed company, to do all the things that the company was already doing wrong. A dozen guys running in to kill the momentum of a match, at least once every Nitro. Ugh. IIRC I was getting fed up with WWF having Corporation mass beatdowns several times every Monday night, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Also I'd like to see La Parka and/or Scott Norton win a match some time. Just throwing that out there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm not sure what's worse: seeing The Cat beat Scott Norton, or seeing The Cat vs. Prince Iaukea.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Great, great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Nothing compares to Great Flair vs. Malenko in a Catch-As-Catch-Can match, with Malenko being the guy who forgot how the stipulation works.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Dario the Wop posted:

Holy rear end, it never occurred to me it would be wiki'd. Reading this, I was immediately reminded of seeing it used in Golden Age comics.
Yeah, it was a staple of drat near every Marvel (well, Timely) Golden Age comic. The hero is a beast who can fight 10 men, but then one of them coshes him in the back of the head and he wakes up tied to a chair.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Did Nitro occur as planned? I tuned in late and only saw a Jan Terri.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

1st AD posted:

oh man the best nitro match ever is coming up
Disclaimer: This individual is lying. La Parka was not booked on the October 4th, 1999 episode of WCW Monday Nitro!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Because of this thread, my wife now refers to getting drunk as getting "bowdy bowdy and rowdy rowdy." Thank you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What made Rick so bad? I mean, he's bad, I'm not taking up for him. He was boring, a bad worker, and his segments were meaningless, but I could say all those things about several other guys.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

He lost a ton of mobility at a time where wrestlers were becoming more mobile and was a moody gently caress.
If he was old, slow, boring, and difficult to work with, why didn't he shoot to the top of the card in WCW? :haw:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

norman smiley needs us all tomorrow night. he needs our support. anyone who isn't there watching norman in his quest for gold is no friend of mine
Jesus is watching Norman.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DJExile posted:

This was basically a half hour show stretching itself into 2 hours and literally everything was complete garbage.
Except Daffney.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Shiki Dan posted:

So now we segue from WCW being extremely dull and non-sensical bad (Kevin Nash era) to entertaining car-wreck bad (Russo era), to a fusion of two into "Holy poo poo we're losing 60 million dollars a year and all of our draws and even our midcarders and we have no idea what to do anymore" appallingly bad.
If I remember right, some of the best (i.e. least worst) shows from late-era WCW were right after somebody had left, and Sullivan and the other guys left on the booking committee booked more-or-less sensible shows, without a bunch of crazy nonsense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why do I have to be moving during Wednesday Nitro??? How much Daffney have I already missed?!?!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah they still got Kidman.

exploded mummy posted:

Hogan don't wrestle no cruiserweights.
I missed most of the past few weeks. Has Hogan crushed Kidman in like 3 PPV matches yet?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
How old is this picture of the RocknRoll?

https://twitter.com/kingofkingsport/status/887733987099148289

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This will probably be less biased, self-serving, and ahistorical than the DVDs WWE puts out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I have to agree with whoever said that The Death of WCW really oversold Vince Russo's ability to "write a really good first chapter."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is that why they didn't do more with Norton? poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I wish I hadn't missed this one, but Blood and Black Lace was playing at the Alamo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
available now at clips4sale