Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

poemdexter posted:

I left industry about a year ago because i was tired of crystal reports and db query writing. Now I'm in consulting doing crystal reports and db query writing. I sit in my driveway when I get home wondering if I should go inside or just hit the road and drive off a bridge so my wife and child can live off my life insurance for a few decades until she finds a husband that isn't a terrible husk of a human being with no purpose but to fix some reports that no one is going to see except some middle manager in the middle of nowhere. They probably won't even save the PDF after viewing.

finally, a thread for me.

lol owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i started out writing reports, it was actually useful to my career because the one thing programmers are consistently terrible at is database design and writing sql queries for a year really teaches you about it if you apply yourself correctly

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Cold on a Cob posted:

i started out writing reports, it was actually useful to my career because the one thing programmers are consistently terrible at is database design and writing sql queries for a year really teaches you about it if you apply yourself correctly
by using an ORM and/or SQL abstraction to skip the whole learning sql poo poo :getin:

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

poemdexter posted:

I left industry about a year ago because i was tired of crystal reports and db query writing. Now I'm in consulting doing crystal reports and db query writing. I sit in my driveway when I get home wondering if I should go inside or just hit the road and drive off a bridge so my wife and child can live off my life insurance for a few decades until she finds a husband that isn't a terrible husk of a human being with no purpose but to fix some reports that no one is going to see except some middle manager in the middle of nowhere. They probably won't even save the PDF after viewing.

finally, a thread for me.
          \
            \
              \

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

uG posted:

by using an ORM and/or SQL abstraction to skip the whole learning sql poo poo :getin:

i, unlike the esteemed mr. shaggar, do not immediately discount orms but they're only really good for crud stuff and won't help you with performance bottlenecks, indexing strategies, proper 3nf table design, etc

i've used orms but i don't believe code-first works very well at all

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
one time i took 2 d2hackit scripts for shop bot and pindlebot and made the pindlebot check the shop for sick cruels. dang ownage poo poo right there

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
recommend me a babby's first programming book tia

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cold on a Cob posted:

the best part of being a coder is going back and looking at old code and being like "what the hell is this poo poo this is terrible" then checking the repo history and seeing it was u

this takes about two weeks

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

A Sloth posted:

C# in a nutshell maybe

use one of the ancient c books if you want to hate yourself

Apr 7, 2003

uG posted:

sql is simple as poo poo and those other things are hilarious because of how they complicate poo poo

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

A Sloth posted:

i've been working on this one for the past seven months, it's going pretty well

i've already learned how to code that pizza snake thing and some kids hands

Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i, unlike the esteemed mr. shaggar, do not immediately discount orms but they're only really good for crud stuff and won't help you with performance bottlenecks, indexing strategies, proper 3nf table design, etc

i've used orms but i don't believe code-first works very well at all

shaggar is right

the one I'm most familkiar with (Cognos) just converts everything to really lovely bad sql anyway

my favorite one so far started "SELECT ((((((("

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

idg how so many people are bad at database design, i mean i don't even like that poo poo but somehow i still find myself exhaustively explaining to people that many-to-many relationships absolutely need to have an intersection table and that data duplication is a goddamn terrible thing and what the first three normal forms are. usually i get a dumb response like "well, they are just guidelines and don't always need to be followed". look shitheel, your solution involves 1) data duplication 2) broken referential integrity 3) inefficient. this is just the way it's done. you know, this is the way it's been correct for half a century of database theory.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Tori CMOS posted:

shaggar is right

the one I'm most familkiar with (Cognos) just converts everything to really lovely bad sql anyway

my favorite one so far started "SELECT ((((((("

tbf (i hear) cognos is the worst of the worst but yeah i've seen some pretty hilarious queries from nhibernate

and then you get the bright idea to start loving around with hql and it ends with an ankle bracelet, house arrest, and 300 hours of community service

Hellsworn Barn
Apr 11, 2008

hi
nosql nosql NOSQL

Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

tbf (i hear) cognos is the worst of the worst but yeah i've seen some pretty hilarious queries from nhibernate

the output is nice, but boy god is it a piece of poo poo to work with (my job is to work with it)

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
but if we replicate the data, we'll have one less join to do!!!

*ignores fact that there will be 10x as much data to join over*

Apr 7, 2003

ur a join

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

guys i need to learn 2 python real quick help!

Hellsworn Barn
Apr 11, 2008

hi
Pro tip: always catch exceptions and log them straight away you can't trust that calling methods will catch it in fact you should have exception handling and logging in literally every method everywhere!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

how do i make a webpage with it

with a form and ecommerce and a sweet flash intro

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

petition to revoke "safe zone" status from the thread

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Martytoof posted:

at least i've never tried (or wanted) to learn how to create flash things

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

idgi should i be using a perl instead

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Martytoof posted:

idgi should i be using a perl instead

i unironically love perl and i don't care who knows :swoon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

prefect posted:

i unironically love perl and i don't care who knows :swoon:

ok so how do i ecommerce with it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

ok so how do i ecommerce with it

oh no if it's ecormmerce i think u gotta use lisp here is a link to a webzone to help you out:

http://paulgraham.com/

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

standardtoaster posted:

i've been working on this one for the past seven months, it's going pretty well

i've already learned how to code that pizza snake thing and some kids hands

"example programs that feature ravenous monsters, secret agents, thieving ravens, and more." Cool, this manchild is buying this.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
first class functions are great. i love some of the language concepts in javascript (prototype inheritance is cool once you get it), but holy hell that implementation is so terrible.

please tell me there is a language as fun as javascript but actually good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tef posted:

it was the practice of programming by kernighan and pike

i found it on amazon for a dollar amount and then continued to google and found it from a different supplier for free. stoked

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
this thread is seriously inspiring me to be a less poo poo coder, i went from awful terrible retarded shitfuck coder to awful terrible retarded coder and i really want to get up to awful terrible coder before i retire :unsmith:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just want to write some code that I feel okay posting in public

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i make my code look like other people's code because i assume that they know what they are doing and thus by extension it will look like i know how to write code

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

this is the only reason i am confident having publicly hosted code

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

And so it begins...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
we can all become better shitcoders with a coding lesson!

came across a fun little fuckup today. what are the two bugs in this code??
code:
uint32 jerkiness = diff_sec ? 
    (listener.frame_count() / static_cast<uint32>(diff_sec)) : 0;

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Martytoof posted:

Angry Moo Cow posted:

<html>
<head>
<title>Go gently caress yourself</title>
</head>
<body>
<p>loving fucker gently caress gently caress</p>
<p><marquee>hail satan</marquee></p>
<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><blink>free kim</blink><BR><BR><BR><BR>
<a href="http://www.gofuckyourself.com/guestbook.htm">Sign my guestbook!</a>
</body>
</html>

Hope this helps.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ok the answer is

1) diff_sec is a float so it can evaluate to nonzero path but still round to zero in the cast and kaboom
2) jerkiness is a measure of differences in frame intervals, while frame_count / time is a rate. Since 30fps ~= 33ms nobody noticed that the jerkiness value was measuring totally the wrong thing

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010

quote:

Suppose you are digging in your backyard and uncover a bag of 20 gold coins. The next day, you sneak down to the basement and stick the coins inside your grandfather’s steam-powered replicating invention (luckily, you can just fit the 20 coins inside). You hear a whiz and a pop and, a few hours later, out shoot another 10 gleaming coins.

Briggs, Jason R. (2012-11-26). Python for Kids: A Playful Introduction to Programming (Kindle Locations 285-287). No Starch Press. Kindle Edition.

Cool it's like bitcoins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ok the answer is

1) diff_sec is a float so it can evaluate to nonzero path but still round to zero in the cast and kaboom
2) jerkiness is a measure of differences in frame intervals, while frame_count / time is a rate. Since 30fps ~= 33ms nobody noticed that the jerkiness value was measuring totally the wrong thing

3) who gives a gently caress

• Locked thread