Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

UGH a goddamn enterprise java dev got ahold of my immaculate code and RUINED IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

that was me

dependency injection owns, dwi

i'm fine with dependency injection, it's the fuckin long-rear end names for everything
just because i've got two widescreen monitors doesn't mean i want one line of code to span them both

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i am trying so hard to understand the horny and i'm just not getting it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

nrook posted:

I dunno, I don't think node is that bad. Like it's definitely bad, but it's not really worse than any other p-lang. npm is a reasonably good package manager too.

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Space Whale posted:

Anyone here experienced with tasks/await/async in C# got anything to say except "thou shalt not loving use async void except for message handlers"?

if you're aware of this basic fact, you already know more than most people do about async. most people just throw asyncs and awaits in until the red squigglies go away

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

but yeah use ConfigureAwait(false) unless you can't, and if you don't have to do anything else after awaiting an async call, you can just return that task instead of making this method async. that's the stuff i have to keep explaining to my coworkers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

vs2015 owns owns owns

i'd be on 2017 already if xamarin hadn't hosed something up

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

we're doing xamarin on vs2017 for a few weeks and oh god i can't loving *blink* without something breaking in the build -> deploy -> debug toolchain. and the errors are always 'hope you find a stackoverflow answer 'cause you sure ain't figuring this one out on your own' level of useless

though tbf almost all the show-stoppers have come from the android sdk side of things rather than the .net one. also we started on vs2015 and things weren't much better

speaking of crappy tooling, pro tip for vs2017 f# folks: the visualf# tools in the rtm are still the old buggy ones from the release candidate, you can actually get the latest version here: https://github.com/Microsoft/visualfsharp/wiki/Using-CI-Builds which fixes a ton of stuff (inline rename most notably)

i subscribed to the xamarin.android github project to stay on top of certain bugfixes and it kinda seems like they're bad at everything

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

current terrible programmer status: tfw u look something up on stack overflow and find that you've already upvoted the answer

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

im doin a thing for a high school javascript programming class so i thought i'd port one of my dumb python things to javascript to show them how to do cool poo poo with APIs and omg javascript is so bad. like i'm doing poo poo with the spotify api and yeah a nodejs wrapper exists but i still have to go look up the endpoint docs to see what kind of response to expect, and then just hope that i don't mistype some json key because i won't find out until runtime. ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

you already know python. its just pseudocode

• Locked thread