Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
i just finished reading this thread after starting it like three months ago.

my favourite character was "Luigi Thirty"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

hackbunny posted:

that's nice. never used c99 much outside of the obvious little things like declare variables anywhere, single-line comments, etc. tell no one, but I even used a VLA once! :wth:

compound literals are excellent

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

There are certain html elements that aren't allowed to wrap, like <a>'s around <a>'s, the behaviour of which is I think is unspecified in response to malformed HTML. Same deal goes with certain <table> constructs.

ime this is specified in excruciating detail with test cases already written for you, so if you've genuinely found some unspecified case that's prolly a bug in the spec.

doesn't mean browsers all do the same/correct thing

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

that's because its creators were once smart but dropped out of the industry in the late 1970s and don't believe anything done since has any worth

in other words, they're arrogant idiots

but I thought everything good in computer science was first done in the '60s and only now starting to trickle down to common langs

checkmate????

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

does anyone know of a thing that will check my HTML in a strict way? i can't find anything obviously wrong with it, but it's a huge file.

https://html5.validator.nu/

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

guess you've never used ojective c

idgi

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm just saying that in my many years of programming i've never had to parse a uri that wasn't a url

now igi

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

all you c# boosters should be legally required to say how bad nuget is anytime you bring up something good. it's somehow worse than cocoapods!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

cocoapods was built by people with a fairly solid grasp of dependency management, but so little understanding of build systems that they didn't even realize that they were actually building a build system that happened to be able to fetch dependencies until it was far too late

nuget managed to avoid being a build system, but is loving awful at dependency management

you mean in the sense that nuget distributes binaries while cocoapods distributes source? I guess that makes sense, and explains a few things

while I'm pissing on dependency managers, does pip not actually resolve dependencies??? that's helpful

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

GameCube posted:

pip usually installs whatever packages my package needs. or are you talking about something besides that

indeed I am

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

rust's cargo is basically the cocoapods approach done right: the build system and dependency manager are fully integrated so that if you so desire you can build your project and all of its dependencies from source in one shot, but critically they actually know how build systems work, and are able to design everything from scratch to work together well

glancing over the guide in the docs, cargo looks well done. I imagine the swift package manager owes a lot to cargo (or the authors share inspirations) as it looks at least superficially similar. though spm somehow managed to make the manifest file executable swift code. at least there's still time for them to avert that blunder before 1.0

also whoever was bitching about carthage before: setting up a target in your xcodeproj is the admission fee to avoid a cocoapods-style fuckup. you'll notice that cargo and spm both work like carthage

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

Not sure what thread to ask this in, so I'll ask it here: what's the etiquette for saying thank you after someone helps you on mailing list? Someone helped me on the open-mpi users mailing list today, and it seems rude not to say thanks, but I also don't want to spam everyone with an unnecessary "thank you" message. (Yeah yeah mailing lists are dumb, but it seems to be the standard way to get help for open-mpi stuff).

if you phrase it as something like "that worked perfectly, thank you" then it is a genuinely useful confirmation for anyone silently following along or coming across the archives via a search. that would not feel spammy to me

alternately, just do it until someone asks you to stop

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

HoboMan posted:

gently caress, i don't know how to do poo poo

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

basically if you are still making GBS threads your pants about how bad jsx looks or something, you don't understand react yet, so just keep working with it, and you'll get how simple and good it is.

also you can just not use jsx while still using react if you're having hang ups about sticking your markup in with your code

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

I wish somebody would make a popular language with a switch statement that was a SLOC savings over if-else

swift

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

i know nothing about java. is there a useful database migration tool/library? it's a small project, so "don't bother" is a valid answer.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

sweet thanks

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

logback and slf4j both seem really cool. does that mean I'm correctly doing the java?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

log4j2 even better, do stupid poo poo like colour highlighting.
code:

<PatternLayout pattern="%highlight{%d %-5p [%t] %c{1}(%F:%L): 
%m%n%throwable}{FATAL=magenta, ERROR=red, WARN=yellow, INFO=green, DEBUG=cyan, TRACE=blue}"/>

yikes

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

GameCube posted:

resharper seems neat but there sure is a lot of overlap between its features and vs2015's. all i want is the drat code coverage and now i've got this thing offering to fix every god drat line in my solution

resharper is massively overhyped and this gets even worse as vs integrates the genuinely useful pieces

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

please at least use a proper html parser

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

good luck parsing html with an xml parser then

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

one possible reason is if you're a terrible programmer whose first insticnt is to poo poo out some code rather than pausijg to wonder whether the wheel might possiblly already exist

hi

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ErIog posted:

Joke's on you, turns out it's bespoke hand-written artisanal HTML written by Seth in Marketing. Also, he's dyslexic and sometimes makes syntax errors. Have fun!

syntax errors? html?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

is the hint "car extends vehicle"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

code:

type Car struct {
	*vehicle.Vehicle
}

this is called a tagged gounion

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

christ, what an rear end in a top hat

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

i honestly don't get why they added exceptions to swift because it doesn't really provide any value over Either<Result, Error> and it can't be used asynchronously which is where reasonable runtime errors happen more frequently-- network requests, I/O, location stuff, etc.

the only reasonable, catchable thing I wound up writing in my (small) iOS app was with NSJSONSerialization. The other usages were all asynchronous. I wrote extensions for NSURLSession and stuff so that I could map over promises with Either<Result,Error> inside

they didn't add exceptions, there is no stack unwinding involved in a failed try. it is simply, as you've pointed out, a shittier version of Either/Result, plus a smidgeon of syntax and compiler niceties

you can call NSException.raise() in swift but you can't catch it in swift

imo swift try is kind of a stopgap. it's obviously better than the out-param NSError garbage it explicitly replaces but it's obviously worse than a proper Result. my guess is they couldn't muster the combined engineering and political capital to get all the way in one step. but I'm just a random jackass opining on the internet. you could ask rjmccall to weigh in as the (sole? main?) doer of swift try

on the plus side im pretty sure the whole core team knows all this already and generally want to improve it

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

fritz posted:

also bisect

bisect doesn't require "linear stories" tho, just the occasional commit that actually compiles.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I use git bisect maybe twice a year, and it's totally worth the "pain" of not being a gaping rear end in a top hat with your commits

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

that's a club???

actually though that's p cool

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

List<KeyValuePair<String,String>> allows for dupes where Dictionary<String,String> does not

also the list is ordered, dictionary is only arbitrarily so

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

yeah, you know who else lived in gmt+2?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

why did i have to poke my nose into my html parser. of course the spec has changed pointlessly. <menuitem> works like <option> now u guys. countless lives presumably saved as exactly nobody implements this latest irrelevancy

if node is in the special category then jump to the part of the adoption agency algorithm labelled done but don't forget to reconstruct the list of active formatting elements and furthermore :suicide:

also somebody started another html parser in objc for some reason? you'd think one reinvented wheel was enough for this dying language

anyway 1.0 :toot:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

raminasi posted:

hard tabs are illegal characters in f# source files lol

f# was right

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

even now people will see clear and easily understandable code and say "here's a gist where I rewrote that code to be more swifty" that takes a bunch of untangling to understand but is marginally more ~*~ functional ~*~

on the other end of this spectrum (and I think horseshoe theory applies) are the asshats adding new answers to every loving stack overflow question with "the correct answer, in swift!" and it's the shittiest swift code that's so obviously just poorly transliterated objc. who the gently caress is that helping

sometimes that answer has more upvotes than the one it's ripping off. idgi

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

kalstrams posted:

how is mac for servers nowadays. or, to that matter, ever at all since os x times

some ios shops throw a mac mini in the closet with jenkins on it.

maybe itunes runs on mac servers (unless the java port of webobjects runs elsewhere? or am I talking out my rear end)

that's probably it

the os probably works fine as a server but the hardware is such a waste of $ if you're not directly touching it daily

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

git really is shamefully bad

maybe it's good at what it was designed to do, but as someone who doesn't mail Linux patches around how would I ever know

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

im really surprised no one has just copied the git model of version control but made it easy to use and more featureful

i mean, i know people have tried, but its weird that no one has succeeded. honestly i dont think git will ever go away. its hit critical mass.

I feel like it should be possible to take the git internals and transfer protocols and whatever but come up with a console ui that is not shamefully bad. tig is cool but not really what I'm after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

also I love all the suggestions that the reason I think git is shamefully bad is because I don't understand it. terrible programmers thread indeed

• Locked thread