Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
one of these days i should learn to program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

why dont they teach programming in skool

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

" man you ain't learned nuffin in skool"

-every mongoloid on the Internet

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Who det queen er austrailier

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Sorry to all programmers out there

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

i suck at programming guys help

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

but i herd c was dumb poo poo for idiots. right in this very thread

(for real though i need to learn to program, i can only cut it so far in this science gig without it)

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

well if you're just a scientist and programming is not your main focus, then the C path may not be the best way to go

however, there is nothing dumb or for-idiots about C. your OS kernel and drivers are written in C, along with many important userland libraries and programs. virtually all modern programming languages are implemented or at least bootstrapped in C, and their foreign function interfaces use C calling conventions. C is basically portable assembly. it's the closest you can practically get to what the machine is really doing

after learning C, in many situations you may want to use a more convenient, modern programming language. but because you know C, and you know how computers actually operate, you'll understand when these other languages are appropriate. it can be hard to reason about non-trivial issues in high-level languages (especially wrt performance) without SOME understanding of their implementation, and C gives you that

Well im definitely a fan of understanding underlying systems. youve sold me. got any recommendations for learning c on an in depth level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

these genes aint gonna sort them selves

• Locked thread