Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Police Academy III posted:

I've a sneaking suspicion that there's only a very low number of people who are in any way decent at programming, but they've realized that there's no way for them to transmit that knowledge to the rest of us and so are content to let us keep running around like retards and making grand, overly generalized proclamations about programming on hacker news.

half right

programming was easy for them to figure out so they assume it'll be easy for everyone, RTFM again or maybe you're just a moron who has no business programming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think maybe the community has gotten better, I haven't really paid attention since I stopped following slashdot

the problem with programming education is there's so much stuff that's non-obvious and counter-intuitive and it doesn't make "sense' until you've been browbeaten with it enough that you pretend it does, and at that point you still have no idea how to explain it to anyone else

best example I can think of is pointers. what is a pointer? a variable that points to another variable. this is a circular definition but it's what's in the books.

pointers didn't make sense to me until I started playing with assembly. need to store a string of text, or other multi-word data somewhere? put it somewhere in memory and then write that memory address down somewhere. now you can look up what's at that address and change the data, or you can change the address too maybe. it's like a reference of a memory address that points... at your data. a pointer. C-like languages make this more confusing because it can be hard to tell when you need to "dereference" a pointer or just pass the pointer as-is. You can think of a pointer as a variable that stores an address but you need to have some fairly precise understanding of what variables even are to understand why pointers are useful in the first place and it's just generally not taught

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hey I forgot this thread existed and it's tl;dr so here's my masters thesis on why ~pointers are hard~

a pointer is a variable that stores a location in memory. ok, that part is easy

you "dereference" a pointer by using the * operator. not too hard but the terminology is a little unintuitive

oh you have some code that expects a pointer but you need to pass a variable? fine! pass it with the address-of & operator

still pretty simple on the surface, but hey this spaghetti code is using pointers and & and you don't know why they use one here and another there and oops you need a pointer here but you don't have one and oops you dereferenced that variable which isn't a pointer &c &c

it's a simple concept but bad commenting and handwavey documentation really trips up new programmers

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

learned ansi c, only ever professionally worked in the kind of c a 2005-era compiler on a dead unix can use

lol might as well use COBOL

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

expert sexchange

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Run scenario. Add printlines when methods are called. Find where the code breaks, add more printlines in that section, repeat.

lol if you haven't had to debug by programming infinite loops of different lengths and identifying them by the noise over an am radio

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

wordpad with papyrus font

I can get into this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

9 processors most of which are on the same memory bus

QUADS

libraries that are beyond obfuscated with documentation badly translated from Japanese

QUADS???

quads are just funy sprites

• Locked thread