Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

unit testing is annoying, tdd is dumb, "agile" is dumb, stories are dumb, ruby is dumb, over-abstraction is a nightmare, obsession with oop/functional paradigms in everything is dumb, and programming is terrible.

i lust for death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

hi sulk how is work in ur programming job

poo poo

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

and then everyone at work is like how do i use ur code??????? well idk dumbass did u look at the wiki pages or the javadoc or the functional tests. why fuckin bother

saying to read the specs to see how the code works is the worst argument, made only worse when non-native english speakers are writing some of your code

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Tori CMOS posted:

lol, you live a charmed life and were handed a golden opportunity and you whine and you're going to piss it away

lolllll

yep

i think it doesn't help that when i get home i don't want to look at a single line of ruby but i don't want to touch anything else either, or rather nothing that i can't use with a static analyzer

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Tori CMOS posted:

i was born in to utter poverty and grew up with seven other children in the woods in a 1100 square foot house and was on welfare all my life, and couldn't afford to go to college or finish high school

i hate you, you can't even recognize that you're blessed and want to piss away things most people dream of

i get that i was lucky to be offered it, but i'm not really capable of doing the job as it is and i'm not getting any help. the team is composed of a number of contractors/offshores who can't speak english all that well. it was pretty clear that the employment was/is at-will so i could get shitcanned any time; i just didn't expect to get virtually no assistance whatsoever beyond the first week. the code bases are bad. no one knows what documentation is, and ruby being a language where terseness and abstraction are everywhere, this makes things a nightmare if you didn't write the code yourself. other projects are done in clojure which i'll never touch.

i'm depressed for a few reasons, but mostly because the job isn't very rewarding and the environment isn't making things any easier.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

poemdexter posted:

I left industry about a year ago because i was tired of crystal reports and db query writing. Now I'm in consulting doing crystal reports and db query writing. I sit in my driveway when I get home wondering if I should go inside or just hit the road and drive off a bridge so my wife and child can live off my life insurance for a few decades until she finds a husband that isn't a terrible husk of a human being with no purpose but to fix some reports that no one is going to see except some middle manager in the middle of nowhere. They probably won't even save the PDF after viewing.

finally, a thread for me.

:smith:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

c# is probably the only language you should learn if you want reliable tools/debugging/to not kill yourself

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

standardtoaster posted:

which is better, a compiled code or an interpreted code if i want to run a programming on an rpi

compiled

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Orbi posted:

doing a cs degree in uni atm and i think i've blasted past the point of not caring. should've swapped to something sane like reg IT when i had the chance but im $12k deep already (gently caress the aussie government and their bullshit immigration policies)

gently caress c++, its probably good they're teaching us it cause of core concepts but its so goddamn unfriendly

nothing you learn in college involving c++ is actually of use hth

also lol 12k, even in eurodollars

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

K&R for C/C++
Allman for Objc method blocks, but K&R for inner conditionals
Allman for C#

all language syntaxes are ugly in their own way though

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

not that I can't afford it, but I hate the idea of trying to justify $70 for sublime text (not that you ever have to pay for it really)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

even sulk realises that paying for a text editor which its only saving grace is it is pretty is a stupid as gently caress idea. get it together cjs.

yeah I mean it has a very nice package system if you install it (it should be default installed in 3 if it isn't already) and you can get a lot of nice themes but it still shouldn't be more than $20. at that price the guy would get a lot more sales, too.

I can get around in vim if I have to (commit messages and poo poo), but I'm still not a huge fan of it I guess

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

why pay for an editor when vim 7.4 is right around the corner

they just said that multiple user editing was a most requested feature, if they can get that built into it then there will never be a singular reason to not be able to work from home and pair program if you need to

there's some ok options out there but that poo poo should be built into something by now, it's 2013

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

chumpchous posted:

jquery really difficult to understand

lol

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

has anyone here used f#

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Papes posted:

Looking at objective c's syntax and it looks pretty weird compared to java / c++. Is there a good book or website to learn objective c ,or would i be better off making little dumb programs on my own and use the official documentation?

it's not really that weird after about an hour. just read stephen kochan's programming in objective c book, as it's basically the bible for the language. it's not too hard to learn, the real difficulty is in getting used to using the cocoa framework as objc itself is completely useless without it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

xcode has a (for the most part) fantastic static analyzer and even better code completion

you can say that it's a verbose as gently caress language, but considering you use xcode for development, you really only have to ever type out part of the method/object name and then tab/type out the rest of the args and poo poo

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

c#'s configuration manager is bad rear end.

you mean piss

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

code:
- (void)function withArgument:argument
{
	if (expr) {
		result;
	}
}

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

f# seems like a neat functional language that isn't haskell. i'm so sick of hearing about haskell at work

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

polpotpi posted:

ruby is neither slow nor horrible

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

all languages are terrible, much like real life ones

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

test on production

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

y'all just got trolled

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

MeruFM posted:

There's no terrible languages. Only terrible people like everyone in this thread.

no, they're all loving terrible and much of the communities are especially terrible. it varies greatly but the only redeeming thing about the profession is the money as long as you can tolerate insufferable nerds with autism

I'm not familiar with the java/.net communities, but I'm going to assume that the normalcy of a community is inversely proportional to how far it's trying to get away from corporate culture

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

prefect posted:

in my (limited) experience, the perl community is pretty sensible :shrug:

probably because its a bunch of old dudes from the 80s who just truly loved the profession. they're just nerds and not toy language startup zealots

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

people who offshore work/hire nothing but contractors out of country are scum

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

AWWNAW posted:

my group desperately needs more developers but we're located in the American south which means we ain't finding poo poo and my boss doesn't want to hire remotely and I can kinda sympathize with him

the remote dev we have now is constantly confused as to what's going on

also I committed several shameful hacks today that will later blossom into bugs

remote still being in the US? I think good communication (agile :barf:) helps that but really it shouldn't be that bad

I still kinda want to learn C# but I don't really know if I feel like making Windows Store Apps for Windows 8 Pro or Windows Phone 8 Apps for the Windows Phone 8. ASP.NET MVC gets you into the same exact realm as just doing Rails and at that point it'd probably be more worthwhile learning Play/Scala or something

assuming you basically wanna say gently caress anything but the 1-2 good phones right now, how miserable is Android development? basically right now I just want to make apps/anything that's not web apps and obviously iOS is the biggest market, but there's a billion iOS apps

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

what's a good way to use some c# without having to write web apps cause gently caress web apps

i was thinking about getting the lumia 521 cause it's dirt cheap and has wp8 and making an app for it or something. i know there's always ios but the ios market is terrible + flooded and android dev is probably miserable unless you ignore 99% of devices

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

all the oses that run c# are dead or dying, pick up cobol or fortran while there's still a bit of (terrible, broke-rear end, academic) life in those

i wish this wasn't true

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

THC posted:

Im inclined to think the entire message passing concept is apple being different for the sake of being different. (NB: I realize this is not the actual reason why obj-c has messaging but to someone raised on c/++ c# and java it is just so very peculiar.) they just get turned into function calls at compile time anyway so wtf

apple had nothing to do with the initial design of objc fwiw. it's a 30 year old language based on smalltalk, an also old language which iirc started the concept of message passing.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

this is what every student thinks until they graduate, get a job, and start learning to program.

im learning java

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

congrats. its pretty good.

its gonna be in the context of android programming because gently caress web apps, but theres a lotta oop concepts you dont/shouldnt really use in plangs even if you can technically write w/them in "oop" style and i wanna get better at it

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I'm too drat new for this poo poo. I actually need mentoring and someone to slap me on the head if I do something retarded so I don't get bad habits.

but you see, every company needs senior developers

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

polpotpi posted:

theres three time zones you need to care about because they cover like 90% of the market you actually want to sell to.

Eastern, Central, Pacific

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

plangs:

python
perl
php
ruby
javascript

"php is the exception which proves the rule." --tbc

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010