Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

AlsoD posted:

IDE evangelists are the worst

the real funny has nothing to do with the checklist :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

intern.png

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

lol

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

spacegrey supremacy

e: i forgot it goes by base16

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Valeyard posted:

what about githubs atom

i just looked and it closely resembles sublime hmmmmmm

it's really loving slow because it's written in loving nodejs and can't open files > 2MB last I read

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i'm the very slight hint of cleavage

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

always make sure your using properly prepared butts

please don't describe my sex methodologies

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

stoutfish posted:

i'm the bin

i'm the lx Tip

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

haskell is a useless language deemed as such by its lead designer and exists solely for the purpose of improving more useful languages like c#

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Dessert Rose posted:

we both have a copy of the repo. you do some work. i do some work. now we both have a revision claiming to be "r55" but what is the common ancestor? we both also have r54, r53, maybe r52 but those are different between our repos because we haven't pushed our changes yet.

if i push my changes, do your commits suddenly all increment in revision number? when and how does this happen?

what does "how far in the past" even mean? time? commits? source code diffs?

the way git does it is the only sensible way for a dvcs to do it

epoch timestamp it

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

slam your head on the keyboard repeatedly and let the static analyzer fix everything for you

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

no parentheses on method calls without parameters is the loving worst aspect of "proper" ruby code

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

double sulk posted:

using ruby is the loving worst aspect of ruby

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

raruler posted:

Sung to the tune of "The Flintstones"
Firmware
Open Firmware
It's the appropriate technology,
Features
FCode booting
Hierarchical DevInfo tree.

Hack Forth
Using Emacs on the keys,
Save in
NVRAM if you please.
With your
Open Firmware
You can fix the bugs in no time
Bring the kernel up in no time
We'll have an FCode time!

lmao

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

if that is distributed information management 3, I don't want to see digital distribution management 1 and 2

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Werthog 95 posted:

anyway, somebody teach me javascript, please.

http://jquery.com/

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the most distant part of northern england is 300 miles from london

the idea that this is a serious problem for you is p. laughable from an american perspective

i get that he doesn't want to be in a smaller city but yeah, the drive from london to edinburgh is five hours which is still less than the distance from philly to pittsburgh alone. it's about the same as philly to boston.

nevermind the fact that you're a 1-3 hour flight away from pretty much any desirable place in europe you'd like to go to

as long as it's not in total bumfuck it's probably not a bad idea. also just out of curiosity, what is considered a good salary in london, like 55k? from what i've gathered it seems like 35k is unlivable in the same way that 60-70k is unlivable in new york

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

People who say taxes are lower in the US are probably full of poo poo too, I lose half my paycheck before I ever see it.

i think something like 25-30% comes off of mine and it's maybe $1400.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

look at it this way: you get to be a newcastle fan

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i never understood vcs integration into an ide. what's the point?

people are lazy i guess

personally i don't trust any of it except maybe a checkout. command line is fine for small commits and for larger ones i'll just use sourcetree. speaking of which i've finally started using jira for the first time and based on the small time i've spent with it, i loving hate it compared to pivotal

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

so i was looking at a scala library that someone tweeted needed help, popped open one of the test files and

code:
  trait M[T]

val mi: M[Int] = new M[Int] {}
  val ms: M[String] = new M[String] {}
  val md: M[Double] = new M[Double] {}

val mimsmimimd = mi :: ms :: mi :: mi :: md :: HNil
  val mimsmimimdList = mi :: ms :: mi :: mi :: md :: Nil
  val mimsmimimdSized = Sized[List](mi, ms, mi, mi, md)

import language.existentials
  val mExist: M[_] = new M[Double] {}
  val mimsmimemd = mi :: ms :: mi :: mExist :: md :: HNil
  val mimsmimemdList = mi :: ms :: mi :: mExist :: md :: Nil
  val mimsmimemdSized = Sized[List](mi, ms, mi, mExist, md)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I don't have much of an urge to write or learn any more Scala than I have to which is probably bad since it's the main language my company uses.

(Disclaimer: I'm a terrible programmer)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

tef posted:

it's kinda lina a java with the bits that didn't work well or were used well removed, and some of the things that were missing that could be added because jvm compat wasn't an issue. but unlike another java descendent, scala, c# is for mortals

Scala makes me feel dumber than I already am and I don't like that.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

It's good that Mozilla brought Steve Klabnik in full time since he's certainly putting in the work on the Rust docs. I'd like to spend some time with it but it still seems pretty unstable at this point and I have another few hundred pages of Programming in Scala to cover.

Mozi posted:

use scala

I've been feeling pretty apathetic about it (Scala) lately though, which is certainly not good considering it's my current job's primary language. I feel like it's not a great thing when a programming language requires me to have a PhD and/or be completely insane to be able to contribute anything to a majority of libraries being developed.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

coffeetable posted:

and while checking that i got the names right for those, ive just spotted Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks which is deffo going on my reading list

I bought this today as I think it seems like a nice book. It has a little blurb on the back from José Valim who is a cool guy.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Gas.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

someone please tell me what i need to change in iterm 2 for osx so that i can jump between whitespace i dont feel like figuring this out right now

right now the function key jumps to the start of a line but all the other meta keys dont do anything

Just use Terminal.app, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

unibomber?

Uncontrollable Bowels

• Locked thread