Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
sleep sort is a cool algorithm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

I'd rather hire someone who took the time to get it right, document it, unit test, and abstract it into nicely aesthetic code. What's the point of writing code if other people can't understand it? I have a lot of experience with companies who hire like this, and I usually end up proposing that it would be less time consuming and more fun if we just started the entire codebase again from scratch than spend weeks trying to figure it out. I end up leaving those companies out of frustration.

hard work is hard, more up at 11

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Moist von Lipwig posted:

rewriting code is so much easier than trying to figure out what the gently caress someone else was doing the first time like 80% of the time

...drupal :smithicide:
.net reflector is cool because you can disassemble real code that people sell and you realise the people writing it were fuckin nuts

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

A Sloth posted:

recommend me a babby's first programming book tia

C# in a nutshell maybe

use one of the ancient c books if you want to hate yourself

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i make my code look like other people's code because i assume that they know what they are doing and thus by extension it will look like i know how to write code

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

this is the only reason i am confident having publicly hosted code

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

we can all become better shitcoders with a coding lesson!

came across a fun little fuckup today. what are the two bugs in this code??
code:
uint32 jerkiness = diff_sec ? 
    (listener.frame_count() / static_cast<uint32>(diff_sec)) : 0;

dont use inline if statements, gross

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

oh man that is shameful

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i know gently caress all about unity3d but wikipedia says you can use c# with it, do that instead it's definitely guaranteed to be less lovely than writing games in js

and c# owns too so you're set

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

maybe it is unity that is the pain in the arse

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

gently caress

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

gucci void main posted:

c# is probably the only language you should learn if you want reliable tools/debugging/to not kill yourself

ya

standardtoaster posted:

which is better, a compiled code or an interpreted code if i want to run a programming on an rpi

assuming it works basically like any other linux, python for easy poo poo (its gna be slower tho but this might not matter depending on what ur doing), c/c++ for hard/fast/low level poo poo

we had someone come into our work doing a marketing thing with a tweeting vending machine and it was all run off a raspberry pi and written in c which was p impressive from a programming side (kill all marketers tho, eugh)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Resplendent Spiral posted:

wow

apparently this is a style, too

pre:
while (x == y)
    {
    something();
    somethingelse();
    }

finalthing();

the correct style is the visual studio default one

here have some bad code for free

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Shaggar posted:

ugh, the default vs theme is too bright.

no that's just the tabs, i screenshotted that from github b/c that was easier than loading visual studio (it is slow to load)

(terrible SSD-lacking programmer hideout)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

sublime's autocomplete is real good and i don't have assburrgers so im never gonna learn vim

vs's autocomplete and intellisense is better tho

sublime for plangs and scriptin, vs for proper programs

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

prefect posted:

resharper says to do "var whatever" instead of "SomeConvolutedClassNameHere whatever". (http://resharper.blogspot.com/2008/03/varification-using-implicitly-typed.html) but when you do that, the autocomplete says "gently caress you, i'm not going to try to figure that poo poo out" :saddowns:

it works fine 99% of the time unless you're combining it with a load of LINQ queries and some other weird poo poo that i forgot that occasionally makes the compiler/VS get pissy but its rare

also using var is "the c# way"

its great tho it means you don't need to worry about types all the time which is neat. u do still need to worry about types like in any other language i guess but vs and c# make it rly pleasant

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i want to do more iOS dev but i don't have a mac which is kinda annoying b/c im obvs not gonna get a mini when i can get a rMBP for twice the price.

how much worse is xamarin than native iOS stuff b/c im a massive big gay c# baby and xamarin seems nice to use from their tutorials

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Bloody posted:

i strongly dislike the use of var in c# because i once came across a project that exclusively used var and in trying to read it i almost died because it was pointlessly hard to read and using intellisense to figure out what every loving method returned so i could have some idea of what the hell was going on in this program was pointlessly inconvenient

yeah but on the other side if you changed any of those types most of the code would just work b/c it's using implicit typing

also

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

sounds like the hubris of a lovely programmer. you've come to the right place.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

hover over with intellisense bitch

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

yeah this is the whole point of intellisense. that also f12 if you're really stuck or retarded or more likely the original author was retarded

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

some person did some very scientific research (i ignored that bit it was boring) and apparently c# devs write the best code or some poo poo

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

i didn't find that but i found this instead which is good too

C/C++ [edit]
  • "Tsk, tsk," said the Hatter, "what a mess you've made."
    "It is perfectly fine," replied Alice calmly. "I will leave it for the garbage collection service to recover."
    "Don't expect any garbage collection here. Furthermore, your polymorphic variables won't ever be properly deleted, because you haven't declared your destructor to be virtual."
    "My what to be what?" said Alice, starting to get worried.
    "Declare your destructor. You must have a destructor. Everything that is constructed should be destroyed; it's only natural. Furthermore, if you are ever not quite what you seem, you should declare yourself to be virtual."
    "A rule to remember!" roared the Red Queen. "Never make a mess without cleaning it up first."
    "You can ignore her," whispered the Dormouse, picking up the tea cake Alice had just set aside, "but you shouldn't cast away const so lightly."
    Alice began to feel that this new world she found herself in was not quite the same as the cozy sitting room she had just left.
    Timothy Budd (C++ for Java Programmers)

• I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind.
    Alan Kay [1]

• What you see is all you get.
    Brian Kernighan [citation needed]

• There are only two things wrong with C++: The initial concept and the implementation.
    Bertrand Meyer [citation needed]

• Fifty years of programming language research, and we end up with C++?
    Richard O'Keefe [citation needed]

• A C program is like a fast dance on a newly waxed dance floor by people carrying razors.
    Waldi Ravens [citation needed]

• The evolution of languages: FORTRAN is a non-typed language. C is a weakly typed language. Ada is a strongly typed language. C++ is a strongly hyped language.
    Ron Sercely [citation needed]

• Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out.
    Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++

• In C++ it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you blow off your whole leg.
    Bjarne Stroustrup Stroustrups FAQ

• C++: an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
    Steve Taylor [citation needed]

• C provides a programmer with more than enough rope to hang himself. C++ provides a firing squad, blindfold and last cigarette.
    dandelion in talk.origins (see here)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Doc Block posted:

LOL if having everything be an anonymous type is considered good code in C#.

C# devs think it's a good idea to put the class type in all methods and variable names.

neither of these things are true but please tell me more

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Doc Block posted:

Disclaimer: I've only dabbled with C#, and it was a long time ago.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ff926074.aspx

this is what you are looking for hth

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Hellsworn Barn posted:

or even better
code:
public void SomeMethod()
{
	try {
		EveryMethodYourProgramCallsThatThrowsACheckedException();
	} catch (Exception e) {
		throw new RuntimeException(e);
	}
}

your braces are hosed yo

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Jabor posted:

its funny because even in C# you still need to handle the exception when you open a file that doesn't exist, because someone could have deleted it after you checked for it but before you actually opened it

fun CJ knowledge: when using MS programs to edit files, they delete and recreate the file when u change one line in butts.docx so u gotta have delete permissions on the directory to edit, not just edit

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

that is every programmer

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Bloody posted:

gently caress c

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

uG posted:

just learn C first so all the 'candy' of C++ isnt confusing the poo poo out of you and then just never bother learning C++ because you are a C programmer and too smug for that

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

rule 36 pay lots ofmoney for expensive poo poo purely because u can. usblime supremacy. wtf are u rms lmao

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

do you guys remember the yospos dude that signed up for blackpeopledating.com as a mother of 5 or whatever who only looked after like 1 of her kids (i.e. loads of red flags) and stood loads of people up on dates

literally paid a like $20/mo subscription just to do that

yospos bitch

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

sublime is good because out of the box all you gotta do is pick a different color theme and it already works better than vim or emacs default config

i would have no problem paying $200 for an emacs config that worked as well as sublime defaults

different color theme? :getout3:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

polpotpi posted:

VS2012 + C# + Resharper is literally the holy triumvirate of programming

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

this new xamarin + parse stuff looks amazing, brb building a million generic CRUD apps a second all in C# :toot:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

the only sad thaing about xamarin is that the business tier with VS is super expensive so u can't really justify it as an indie dev (not that u need it, its just nice)

everything else owns owns owns

also i spent days trying to figure out code generated db stuff with ADO.NET and WCF service to make a quick API and got it like 99% working, got stuck on the last bit and gave up for a while

then i discovered parse and that you can literally abstract all of those things away ~~to the cloud~~ in baiscally one method call. this owns owns owns

yeah sure it's probably gonna have some loltastic issues when you hit web scale but whatever

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 26, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

well yeah exactly who cares

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

how hard actually is scaled load testing

like if you know you're going to have 10k people using your service to do a defined thing at a certain time, this is trivial to simulate right

im just curious becuase my university says every year its figured out how to do it for their results/module enrolment systems and every year they still fail hilariously

e: despite staggering it by year groups this year too lol

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

this is why when anyone says "oh yeah you can do useful poo poo in c" they are wrong and dumb and enjoy pain and all this stupid poo poo to make C behave like a normal language

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

like C works great when you create a load of structures so you can use dot notation and stuff and basically make it like a normal language, apart from everything being really linuxy and stupid and lets stick some control characters all over the place to read and write poo poo thats a good idea.

and all this reinventing the wheel to use list/etc style structures in a sensible way

gently caress c basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

so last night i really sat down with django and made a web sight

http://290.dyndns.org:8800/

it works!!!!

already far more comfy with it that i was with rails

im surprised that this data is freely available with exact addresses isn't it a bit of a privacy concern

v cool tho

• Locked thread