Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
kill others then yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

op here's som code i wrote for you hth

Python code:
if programmer.needs('safe space'):
  programmer.threads.gas()
  programmer.permaban()
  programmer.kill()

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

that is pretty cool smythe i like hacks and poo poo for games because it feels like you're breaking the rules of the /matrix/

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

i have two guys on my team that aren't programmers but who program things

had to teach one of them about source control today, like really basic stuff like "no you don't have to check one file in at a time"

getting to old for this poo poo sick of being a team lead

next job i'm just gonna pretend i'm autistic so they stop putting me in charge of people

hhah yeah 'pretend'

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

hey man how'd ya get so good at pretending to be autistic

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Socracheese posted:

imposter syndrome and i have it but its actually true

you don't have it because there's no way to diagnose it

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Oldsmobile posted:

I am an arrogant, flesh eating dominant white male and I have gotten to where I am by stepping on the faces of losers!

saem

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

hey shags if i wrote a java thing i wanted served on my vps what is the most lightweight, painless way for me to do that

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

i want to write a command line app with brain dead argument processing, good json/yaml/sqlite support, brain dead html templating/escaping, and which is type safe and can compile to native binaries. also not golang. is there any language that fits this description or am i scroogled

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

well that's what i get for asking the terrible programmer thread

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

pram posted:

but that is what he should use instead of being a contrarian imbecile

it has literally nothing to do with being a contrarian and instead it has literally everything to do with the creator of the language's recommendation for who should use the language, that is, large teams with diverse levels of language experience and familiarity who need to hit the ground running in large codebases

a single person codebase is none of those things so there is no reason for me to use go, sorry bout your completely ineffectual cheerleading

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

pram posted:

lol go is simple, it doesnt require a large team? are u retarded

read->comprehend->post

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

pram posted:

i comprehend it. you seem to believe that go is structured in a way that it makes a single person programming in it completely impossible which means your perception is thoroughly retarded

wrong

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

i did the first 15 or so eulers in rust and then started porting some other code into rust and im hooked too. i really like it

out of curiosity what do you like about it

triple sulk posted:

i used to be a ruby programmer and now i am a c# programmer and have a much lower desire to kill myself

i have a soft spot for ruby because rails made me care about web development but i haven't written anything in ruby in 5-6 years and my life is the better for it

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

when was this written? 2006? "HTML5". node js picking up steam!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Janitor Prime posted:

Why does everyone forget Perl :( it's much better than bash

:barf:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Janitor Prime posted:

well yeah but my point is that why would you ever choose bash, even poo poo old *nix have perl

why would you ever choose perl

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

surebet posted:

my local market is 50-75$ for a junior dev and 100-150 for a senior on a contractual basis, dude bid 45

he still managed to rack up thousands in billables which i'll be going over because there's no loving way stuff like changing 100 pictures from 10mp to 640*480 should take 3 hours when you don't do any actual work on them

hell, if you're not completely retarded you just install this https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

he somehow got control of the domain though so that's going to be pretty lol to resolve

why on god's green earth would you install "Image Resizer for Windows"

here

code:
$ for image in *.jpeg; do; convert "${image}" -resize 640x480 "resized/${image}"; done

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

imagemagick is proof that god loves us and that all image manipulations can be done on the command line

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Dessert Rose posted:

none of those options lets me bill 3 hours tho

no, it just means you don't do 3 hours of work

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

eschaton posted:

it's also not hard to follow a few simple rules that will lead to always writing correct code

1. know if the platform you're working on imposes any major concurrency constraints, eg on OS X and iOS and many other platforms you must interact with the UI on the main thread

2. know the threading constraints for basic data structures on your platform, eg on OS X and iOS the basic immutable value classes and collections can be used on multiple threads safely and the basic mutable value classes must be protected from access by multiple threads

3. know the basic high-level concurrency constructs offered by your platform, eg threads, operations, queues, locks, semaphores, so you know how to do work in the background and actually protect shared resources from access by multiple threads

4. you probably don't need to use any low-level constructs yourself, leave that for the implementors of the high-level constructs. really. this includes atomic operations, barriers, volatile, etc.

5. look up everything else. always. never assume anything, ever, you will get it wrong.

these rules should apply on pretty much any platform you see

yeah man, concurrency isn't hard to learn, just avoid anything having to do with the hard parts of concurrency, and you'll be good at concurrency!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

DaTroof posted:

Dear fellas, I can't believe how fast things move in a startup. I saw a gantt chart once when I was a freshman, but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big drat hurry. The HR department got me into this halfway house called a "hacker hostel" and a job running automated tests. It's mind-numbing work and I try to keep up, but my head hurts most of the time. I don't think the QA manager likes me very much. Sometimes after work, I go to the pit and pretend I'm drowning in balls. I keep thinking a developer might just show up and say hello, but they never do. I hope wherever they are, they're doin' okay and makin' cool apps. I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm drowning in balls. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a virus and infect the network so they'd send me home. I could dox the manager while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I have too much college debt for that sort of nonsense any more. I don't like it here. I'm tired of being annoyed all the time. I've decided not to stay. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss. Not for a nondescript CJ like me. P.S: Tell Shaggar I'm sorry I made fun of Microsoft. No hard feelings.

jesus christ

• Locked thread