Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

i am right now leraning javascript.

comments and opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

not even getting paid for it

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

Use // or /* */

/*its a bad language*/

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

is it more or less shameful that im doing it for unity3d

ive never heard a good thigng about javascript before so i would not have chosen it otherwise. At least unity can enforce strict typing?

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

yeah but this page makes it seem like a pain in the arse: http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/index.Writing_Scripts_in_Csharp_26_Boo.html
javascript is much more integrated in unity

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

maybe... its u

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

why dont they teach programming in skool

i had a java class in school

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

heh. java class. programming humour for programming people.

Nehacoo fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 9, 2013

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

not sure who u are but this made me laugh... u're in

finally, my dreams have come true. 3 shitposts and im accepted in yospos

thanks obama

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Sorry to all programmers out there

im gonna do it. im gonna write in javascript.

I'm so sorry,

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

chef

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

all programmers are bad. some are just better at hiding it

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

foonykins posted:

your autism is showing

oh dear *pulls up zipper*

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

wide stance posted:

so is programming like driving where the best consider themselves mediocre and the worst considered themselves good? or from reading this thread, the best consider themselves as complete maggot trash filth.

what makes you think they arent complete maggot trash filth? me, i sure am

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

c tp s: can someone help me understand basic c++ vector semantics? when I pass a std::vector to someone by value and they push things onto it, should I expect the caller's std::vector to change? it sounds like vector does dynamic memory allocation under the hood and that screams to me like reference semantics so im a little confused.

std::vector owns a dynamically allocated array and if you copy the vector object it performs a deep copy of the array as well. So if you pass it by value and the function pushes things onto it will not affect the original vector object. If you want to the function to modify the vector you need to pass it as a mutable reference, like so:

C++ code:
void function_that_modifies_an_int_vector(std::vector<int>& vector_to_modify) {
    vector_to_modify.push_back( /* something */ );
}
This goes for all container types in C++. They uniquely own the contained objects, whose lifetimes are connected to the lifetime of the container, they will be destroyed along with the container.

Edit:
BTW it's perfectly fine to return a container by value from a function, because this invokes a move which lets the receiving container 'steal' the contained objects from the source container (in practice, copying a pointer).
C++ will invoke moves instead of copies whenever it's safe to do (i.e. when the source object would no longer exist anyway, as in a return statement).

Nehacoo fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 3, 2016

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

The hardest problem of computer science: naming things. What should I call the general interface for any source of input events in my game input system? Like it can be a keyboard key, a mouse button, a joystick/gamepad button/axis, etc. Right now I call it InputSource which isn't very descriptive.

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

Why would I want git support in my editor? Someone mentioned that a page or so ago, I think, and I'm genuinely curious what the benefits are. I usually just keep a terminal open in another workspace and use git cli there and I've never felt constrained by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehacoo
Sep 9, 2011

carry on then posted:

almost like different people have different workflows that fit them best

Yeah, that's why I asked :rolleye:

Chalks posted:

In VS you get little captions at the top of functions saying "Last updated by Dumb rear end in a top hat 5 days ago with a commit note of 'Farts' and work item 'Needs more farts'".

That seems pretty cool

• Locked thread