Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Nomnom Cookie posted:

if history substitution is enabled, ! is a special character within "". however, if you escape it with \ then bash doesn't remove the \. what if i want to substitute a variable into a string containing a ! ? afaict the answer is gently caress you or use a heredoc

this drives me loving batshit whenever I try to write git commit messages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Zlodo posted:

lol @ serious posting for like 100 pages about loving filesystem paths

you loving nerds

welcome to a world called...

yospos

*screencrack*

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I kind of want to learn an erlang but I don't know what I could use as a learning project

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
yisss

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

Why in the world would microsoft even entertain killing an objectively good thing?

hahahahahaha

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

rsjr posted:

i got a job offer doing erlang backend for a telephone company

it pays ~20% more than what i currently make. what should i do.

"i don't know erlang at all"

"you're really smart it's cool, u'll learn"

"woah you guys are pretty cool i am smart"

sounds good. go for it!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

i once worked with a guy that would constantly commit gigantic loving diffs that had almost nothing to do with what he was working on

turns out he c/ped some poo poo into his .vimrc that woudl poorly regex the entire file on every save to try to change soft tabs to hard tabs. but he also ahd some completely contradictory settings somewhere else in his vimrc that set vim to insert like 4 spaces on every tab. so his diffs ended up as some horrible mix of tabs and spaces and he would infect every file just by opening and closing them, he didnt even have a clue

well thats when i decided vim was worse than butt cancer hope u liked my story :tipshat:

the real horror story here is the guy who doesn't at least glance at his diffs before he commits

shameful

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

man you're dark today

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

nrook posted:

poo poo I forgot c# had nice anonclasses like that, it's been too long. also I'm not sure I ever knew there was a select that gave you the indices. in that case yeah the linq way is better

and yeah good code would not require a list of indices ever. But I was passing them into bad code, which wanted the list of indices. doing dumb things with sequences to pass them into various functions is a really, really common thing to have to do, so good languages make it easy

ah well, I (think?) java 8 should make this better anyway

hm, it's almost at though bad code begets bad code :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Socracheese posted:

i played with webgl a lot thinking it was gonna be the next "thing" and holy poo poo its slow and horrible

also imagine writing a game engine in javascript :suicide:

i found some google-written physics engine where you could ramp a toy car into a wall made of 9 blocks, as soon as the collison happens and it has to start calculating physics it drops to like 4 fps

on the other hand: have you seen runescape

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
man pages are completely unreadable. google forever

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

you don't have PMs so here's a thing

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

3-5 month sprints

hm

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

oh that makes sense

so "from module import *" is not a great choice in most situations?

I once worked with a codebase that used "from import *" heavily.

it's bad enough when you're only using it in a few places, but it effectively applies recursively - running "from foo import *" also imports everything that foo imported...

there is probably some situation where "from ... import *" is appropriate, but I can't really think of one off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Actually, I'm great.

• Locked thread