Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maluco Marinero posted:

ah I get it, ghost posts break the offset feature of Awful.app (where it only loads the new posts)

initially we had last unread post being show as read. then thread began pointing to non-existent post at n+1, causing page load issues on the last post of the page since it then points at a thread that does not exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

if my calculations are right, there will be a 13 post window opening in microsoft thread after 3 more posts

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

atom is basically like significantly slower, worse visual studio code. they recently shat an "ide" addon out through the door but it's still hot garbage clown bait

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

imo i'd go with typescript unless type system impedance mismatches are going to wreck the ball hard or you really can't get flow in something adequate (say, webstorm)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how long is it gonna take y'all to learn emacs is the one true path
never, or even longer if you are the voice

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"computer programming tooling was solved in 1754 by otto von bismark XVIII" - notorious bsd

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it was written in good javascript

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what makes emacs + elisp better than atom + js is that there's already tens of millions of lines of pre-existing code to glue emacs to everything you could ever need. to use atom for something useful you have to reinvent the wheel three times before breakfast

granted, elisp is poo poo, but it's no worse than js.

atom has like twice the number of packages emacs does since every stereotypical web developer uses it. granted, the focus is not as "do anything" as emacs tends to be about, but no one reasonable cares about bootstrapping a single tool into everything. before you start clamoring about "everything, and the best!!!!" for the n-thillion time, please do show me how to use pycharm's debugger from emacs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

python integrates with pdb, not pycharm

it's fairly amusing that atom requires a second, better IDE to be installed in order to get debugger support for python

it's fairly amusing to read someone not knowing poo poo they argue about this much

anyways:

1) i have no loving idea why you apparently think i use atom
2) pycharm is a complete ide (best in class in fact), and does neither need, nor can be run from under atom, a text editor with coat of drying up diarrhoea
3) pycharm does not use pdb. pdb (much like pydbgr, pudb, ipdb) is woefully incompetent compared to pycharm's pydev.debugger, which is a highly customised fork of the original pydev's debugger

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

I should check out pycharm again someday

its great, and community edition is both free and can be used commercially (if costs/use are something holding you back). you need professional edition, primarily, if you want to cython things up or if you are working with web stuff (like 90% of professional edition features are all the web frameworks, x-compatibility with other web shite, databases, and remote development)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pycharm is a good and cool ide and i'm not knocking it

it's atom users who are dumb and should be using emacs

atom is bad but solution is not to go back to the prohibition era programming tools

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Facebook open-sourced Thrift, donated it to the Apache foundation, and then a few years later open-sourced a different version as FBThrift.

let me find that facebook mobile app code breakdown thing, one sec

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

while you're at it can you find the one where facebook and android worked together so the facebook app could use way too much memory on android

http://blog.timac.org/?tag=facebook here's that one (i think its that one, i dont have link saved anywhere but the breakdown images and 20% bloat look familiar)

not heard of the facebook android thing, so let me look it up now i guess

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:psyduck:

i mean, its impressive, but wow, just wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

go post in new thread guys

comedyblissoption posted:

also if someone is interested in emacs i would heavily recommend spacemacs (emacs w/ sperges managing your config for you)

sperges sounds like a computer-literate au pair

• Locked thread