Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what do build engineers do. is there supposed to be like a 30 step manual process to release a build. i have a feeling my company is rear end backwards in every way but im a terrible programmer so idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seaside Loafer posted:

I suggested a topic a few pages back in an attempt to divert, whats your response to it? Id be interested.

imho animal-to-computer UI is coming up

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
rotor wants everyone to know his hardy works

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Javascript should only be used to progressively enhance your mouse cursor icon.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

FamDav posted:

no no man in order to do dependency injection you {insert spring tutorial here}

the reason you need a DI framework is because you can't do partial application with java constructors :(.

i thought that's why we have the builder pattern

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the best way to do C# on a mac? On mono do I get all the same frameworks like ASP.NET MVC?

I don't want to spend money

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I already use java at work. I was just wondering about C# because I want to leave my job (my first job and ive been there 8 mo, i cj and write plugins for rational team concert lmfao. and now they have me maintaining this previously outsourced j2ee app part time....) and there seems to be a lot of C# in the area I'm looking at. so as a resume booster i was thinking about doing a c# project that would involve some topic thats a gap in my CS knowledge

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol the OS I'd have to use isn't important to me. my mac is just my home computer. at work im forced to use linux and I'm using the this terrible company-branded spinoff version of rhel, so anything would be a step up

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
maybe i can abuse this to run VS? https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it doesn't sound bad at all. im just hoarding money for my emergency fund right now and also i wanted to make myself more hirable by learning the other big platform, but i happen to have a kind of old mac that i dont want to cj if i dont have to (i ran into a lot of problems with doing linux and boot camp before )

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bhodi posted:

I hate OEL too

its actually "ibm open client". using wifi gives me kernel panics lol

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody posted:

get windows 10 tech preview and shove it in a vm?

oh awesome this looks like it'll work. thanks!

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
when i got hired i had to sign something that said anything i create outside of work also belongs to my company but then i got something else that said 'youre in CA so that actually doesn't apply here' . do people in other states have to like abandon their githubs?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Subjunctive posted:

edit: if you can get the company to agree to them not owning anything you release under an open source license, they're basically letting you do anything and they should fire their counsel

huh even if it's outside of work and not on company owned equipment??

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
after getting used to vi&emacs for so long it really sucks using something without those keybindings

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squinty Applebottom posted:

i guess learning emacs is ok if you want to be a developer for the rest of your life but holy lol @ that

you can use org mode and M-x tetris no matter what computer job you have

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it would be cool if there was a good workhorse gui editor that was as good as vim or emacs

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
if the keys are the same in every map you're combining then the values will be trampled every iteration, so it makes sense why only the last map's values would show up

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squinty Applebottom posted:

if you're taking a big data class you deserve everything you get

what's wrong with taking a big data class?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what is devops?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Valeyard posted:

i need help bad. but im not asking for help with a solution, im just trying to understand the question. thats not so bad, right?

im confused about the use of "iteration" and what exactly its meaning here, as well as "periodic exchanges", is this meant to be different from an iteration?

i just cant understand where to even start here

i had this assignment in school too :x

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
periodic exchange is the part of the dv protocol where all ur nodes broadcast their poo poo every once in a while.

iteration means step of your sim. eg. they wanna be able to specify how many steps to run your sim and give the network time to converge i think

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
shorten the variable and function names

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the most important feature of node is that when you use it you can talk about how you use node

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im pretty sure 90% of my haskell dependencies don't do actually anything. its just imaginary math stuff

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

haskell has side effects it's called virginity lol

in other words, it enforces purity?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
ooh isn't there a way to do that by using list as a monad :p

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i haven't tried it, but how bad could it be in comparison to scala? it's written by the jetbrains people so the ide support is already better. i think i'll be looking for some small tasks to use it for at work to give it a spin.

im also curious. is there something horribly wrong with kotlin that makes nobody want to use it? just looking at the docs, i like what i see, better than java groovy & scala

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
altho looks like it doesn't have sum types

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaggar posted:

"i know these fad langs have bitten us in the rear end over and over but this time it will be different" - ruby devs switching to go

i think they're moving to elixir now.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
in jax-rs what's a good way to do api auth? this is for an internal app on 1 machine with very few api consumers. right now we're hand-rolling it and it just checks api key query param against a hashmap in a post-routing filter

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
math is fake

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
braces and semi-colons w/ comma and semi-colons at line beginnings is the best haskell style

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Luigi 180

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there an eli5 of every big data database thing i dont know about. i dont know anything about any of them. like maybe a guide that differentiates each one from postgresql capabilities

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
but there's so many of them

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brain Candy posted:

divide and conquer is good but doesn't give you a good filter to differentiate noise and domain knowledge.

so. computers are really loving fast. consider doing things twice once you think you've pulled out a bit so you can have your users do some testing for you before you roll out your changes for real

code:
def butts():
    old = old_shitty_way()
    new = wonderful_clean_way()
    if new != old:
        # your logging method goes here
    return old
this is obvious, but I find it's psychological obscured by the desire to 'do things right' when that's not really the problem you are trying to solve

omg. why didnt i think of this

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lmao lately 100% of shrughes posts i see are followed by someone not getting the joke

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
when you get there push them to rewrite in nodejs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
wrote a quick shell script to sync my code to my vm

code:
$ ./send.sh