Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

it's a half-dozen concepts i don't really understand like "service contracts" and "data contracts" and magic words in brackets that go in front of the class and/or function definitions and there's this "service stack" thing that's supposed to simplify it, but it's still weird and involves web.config files and dtos and apphosts :psyduck:

i know none of those things should be terribly confusing by themselves, but not understanding any of them makes it tough for me to actually do anything

(yes, i know this is the wrong way to learn something new; i was like this with perl until i finally understood the basics of the programming language, and then all kinds of poo poo suddenly made sense. ultimately, it's my own fault. also, i need better air conditioning)

Oh cool, I think you and I both have the same awful learning style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
350 rich assholes, probably

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what cyberpunk actually is

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
does real java use the same awful infinitely nested brackets/paranthesis syntax that javascript uses?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i use big data instead of sql so its not a problem for me

the orm cloud

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if it's a console app why not just use ssh or public key encryption??

awfya

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

DiabloStarCraft posted:

im pretty sure my companies program is the worst program.
basically each seperate function is a seperate exe, the whole thing is built in visualbasic based on a codebase from 1984, the back end is a collection of mdb files, the program doesn't support higher DPI settings which is great for a program mostly used by older people, the program requires admin privilages and full access even on network locations, etc etc etc.

fortunately we're shelving it soon, and replacing it with a html5 butt based app (that doesn't work exactly right in anything but google chrome)

sorry, you fail at the worst

http://www.studiosuite.net/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

I'm...genuinely confused. Does this stream golf to my modded Xbox?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

easy solution: establish what the TRUE TIME is, and measure everything from there. the past is a foreign country; we don't have to care about hurting their feelings

jesus did this for us already

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Ericadia posted:

C++ is when you drop nails and pennies on the inside of a grand piano.

uh no that's called prepared piano

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
would someone reccomend me a resource for learning c++ that is organized in a sane format? like basically imagine a guide written for a p-lang, but in this case it is for c++.

maybe something that keeps me kind of motivated to keep learning instead of just hitting me with everything i could ever need to know about defining functions, none of which i can use because i still don't even know how to make an array?

i'm being hyperbolic here but bjornfjords book is not very good for learning. his technical explanations are good but i'd like to see some common c++ design patterns and maybe some examples of why the language is useful. maybe show me some neat stuff i can do with templates instead of just giving me the definition and moving on. i also don't need idiot's first programming language guide to c++. i just need something with pictures

tia

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
c has the worst style of comments and doesnt let me use dots, no thanks

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
objective c is a really stupid language seriously use ruby motion and if you need something to be fast write it in c

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh yeah, have fun trying to learn anything from apples site. here are some helpful links that will help you get used to apples documention:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#space/qasd91

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/qa1712/_index.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40013349

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/qa1032/_index.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS4000749

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/a_really_helpful_link/_index.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS4000749

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the web was a terrible platform because people were putting all of their scripts in a bin and then apache would run those scripts on request and this was "web development"

or at least, that's how i imagine it worked. i know about as much about how the web worked back then as i do about how fires were started in the neolithic era

ruby and python are basically the same thing but with really different syntax

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 22, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think all of the bad stuff in ruby is from people starting with rails and then moving backwards to ruby and applying all of rail's design idioms to their ruby programs even though they don't make sense in that context.

like me for instance

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
numbers as objects is cool, it lets you do things like
code:
class Numeric
   def prime?
      #find if self is prime, return bool
   end
end

3.prime?
=> true
of course overriding base classes is a terrible idea if you're working on a large codebase but it makes personal projects like project euler a lot of fun

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
just use sublime text

it's the perfect editor for the choosy programmer who is not crippled by autism

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

*pays 70 dollars for a text editor*

*calls other programmers autistic*

my primary reason for using sublime is that it makes me feel good. if feeling good isnt worth 70 bucks you're probably autistic

plus it's free if you just hit cancel now and then

(i got contract to pay for my sublime and my SFTP text so heh)

[the contract was my dad's website]

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 24, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Once I realized I could export editor=subl I stopped ever having to use vim.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

same but replace 'text editor' with 'lovely 70 dollar program that does the exact same thing as programs 40 years its senior'

you know sublime text is completely free to use, it just pops up every few hours with a "hey, trial version" message that is very easy to dismiss.

just give it a shot

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if your work lets you use vim they probably don't give a poo poo about anything

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mido posted:

use the tools that enable YOU (you personally, not you generally) be productive and get stuff done, your tool could be notepad.exe and you could be judged eternally for it but if for some horrible reason you have a medical condition that prevents you from using a modern editor/ide and notepad.exe is all you can manage to get things done with then w/e, meet deadlines and write good code, tia

wrong

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so i'm working on a thing to do loudness monitoring for broadcast TV. basically i'm just trying to implement this algorithm:

http://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bs/R-REC-BS.1770-3-201208-I!!PDF-E.pdf

pretty sure i've got the algorithm figured out but holy christ my program takes like 10 minutes to go through a 20 minute AIFF file. it should be near instant. i've never dealt with inputs of this nature.

basically i'm just using libsndfile to read all of the PCM signals into a really huge array (48000 samples/second * 2 channels * 60 seconds * 20 minutes). clearly this is not optimal. how should i go about optimizing this?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Doc Block posted:

If you can, load it as-needed instead of loading the whole thing first. Maybe have a thread that does the loading and another that does the processing. Or, even better, break the thing up into chunks and have each chunk processed in a separate thread if you can.

Yeah, this was my first thought, only because i've seen it suggested elsewhere. it's pretty easy to understand why breaking it into chunks and multithreading it will make it a lot faster, but the idea that loading as-needed will help is hard for me to grasp.

is there any reason to spawn more threads than I have cores?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the slow as poo poo version was a rough out i did in ruby, just to make sure i understood the process -- which obviously accounts for a lot of the slowness. now i'm redoing it in straight C with LLVM, but i havent started yet. i did quite a bit of profiling when i was doing objective C stuff, so I'm fairly familiar with those tools.

thanks for the help. i'm officially drinking now, but i'll respond in more detail tomorrow

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

i don't think i've ever written code that i found pleasing to the eye two weeks later

dont you write perl

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

could somebody explain why the first is okay but the second is bad? :confused:

Wow what the gently caress??

Does it work if you do i = i + 1?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

sorry. guess i missed a page :sigh:

No I'm just amazed

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

tef posted:

ps should i make a smart dog book thread in CoC and then argue about stuff?

make one here

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ruby's active record/active support/active model libraries are so good i cant imagine ever needing anything else

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ruby is a joke

sayin' that around here sure takes some monads

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would use haskell so i would decompose easily

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would use objective c and then use GCD to dispatch myself

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
no but it's awesome

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
your recurrsing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mido posted:

sacramentian spotted

haha yeah all the tech jobs i've heard about here are maintaining archaic software and are also horribly mismanaged

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

well there's also the intel campus in folsom if you like working in a gray cube farm in the middle of nowhere

haha yeah but i'd need actual chops for that and then i would just kill myself

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
who is travis and why does he keep showing up in my rails projects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

I just don't like doing accessors that way, but w/e. I've never used android Linux java but I would guess theres some option to make it auto scale to you're items on screen, but who knows

no the os is open it doesnt support constraint based layouts

• Locked thread