Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
[quote="“ThePeavstenator”" post="“476588170”"]
When you plug speakers into a computer, it’s able to better project sound in a larger area.

Headphones/earbuds also allow you to get more volume while not forcing your coworkers to hear your Irish pirate metal playlist. No I did not pull that example out of my rear end.
[/quote]

i get it im just stunned that anyone would do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

goddamn if someone could replace that ferret with the goland gopher it would be :perfect:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

oh boy my first "real" rust hobby project i put out there is getting used and people are commenting on it. now i get a whole new class of people to disappoint with my programming

that's great!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i hate it when there's some computer science word that i dont understand and it scares me and then i finally learn what it means and it's simple

today's word is isomorphic

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quiggy posted:

jesus christ why are you doing this in c++ code, make that a const size_t (or maybe a static const size_t depending on context)

hi quiggy hope you're good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

darthbob88 posted:

Yep, but it's still the only real option for front-end stuff. :suicide:

what if i told you...that not all frontends are web

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
react seems like the best poo poo ever if you are comparing it to old school es5/jquery/etc

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 6, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm rebuilding my parents website in elixir/phoenix is hoo boy i forgot how much i like the OTP methodology. i'm not good with it yet but it's such a cool concept.

not having a type system is a huge headache though. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I keep forgetting that I can't rely on the compiler to blow up if I compare different types.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
before i landed on elixir/phoenix i was trying to use akka and went as far as writing a AWS authenticator for it but holy poo poo that framework is impenetrable. way too much work for my parents website and not at all necessary.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sapozhnik posted:

:psyduck:

da h*ck does your parents' website do that can't be solved with a plain simple python server-side app talking to sqlite

assuming it isn't a totally static website that couldn't just be generated from like jekyll or hexo

my parents run a production company so it's a full blown video content management system that they use to stream private videos to their clients. it does a lot of transcoding/video junk. plus a blog and all that.

but your point still stands. i'm definitely doing this for a chance to pickup some new tech / have some fun. phoenix is actually a decent fit though. akka absolutely was not.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 6, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

should have used asp.net

i might be taking a C# job. seriously considering it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

HoboMan posted:

i want a real qa team so bad

currently it's a bunch of BAs that are supposed to do it in their down time. guess how well that works?

so you basically have a full time QA team, is what you're saying

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
making sure you have good requirements is probably everything

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 7, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
[quote="“CPColin”" post="“477145304”"]
Also a good place for multiple, sightly different implementations of the same post!
[/quote]

but i thought golang was unpopular here

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i like gnu make a lot just not as a build tool

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

FamDav posted:

there might be a new post, we just have to post harder to see it

FamDav posted:

there might be a new post, we just have to post harder to see it

should we remake this thread? i feel the bug is fitting but it's getting a little old i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
new thread is here!!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836929

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 9, 2017

• Locked thread