Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i found a site that used register_globals today, it was just a random site on the net

i used it to put form submit POST data into a GET query string

nothing malicious

but seriously gently caress those guys for making my job easier, cuz, it was a cute hack at the moment to send a link that had form post data in the URI

but yeah dont do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Doc Block posted:

It costs $99/year to be in the iOS developer program.

The language people use to make native (ie good) apps is Objective C. You can use C# with MonoTouch if you really really really want to, but that's 3rd party. The only high level frameworks and APIs from Apple are for Objective C, with the low level stuff being in C.

edit: you can download Xcode and run stuff in the iOS simulator for free, but if you wanna test on a device and publish in the App Store then you gotta pay $99/year.

btw this is not because apple gives 1/2 of a gently caress about that $99 but it sets a (low) bar to entry so that not every idiot who downloads xcode shits up the market with garbage fart apps 24/7

not that it stops it, just filters out a ton of it from ever even appearing.

if you got actual dev skills and an idea for an app, 99 bucks is gonna be nothing to you.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

gucci void main posted:

test on production

irl this is just shortened to "production"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Moist von Lipwig posted:

what's a p-lang? a language that starts with 'p'?

why is javascript terrible?

its shagger lumping together prolog, pascal and powershell as being poo poo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
im not naming names but there is a shortlist in the industry of "who you don't want to work for" and it's not terribly difficult to come up with it if you piece together things

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
of course people still will go to them out of desperation or a big offer, but they generally don't last unless they just happen to deal well with the various horrible aspects

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
sorry you don't poop in your own yard when there are other yards that are far more guilt free to poop in

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Bloody posted:

i hope you've at least named and shamed on glassdoor.

nah, business is business.

just think "hey have you heard an awful lot of people talk about how bad some place is to work for?" then maybe take that into consideration

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

lots of places do contract to hire these days, unless you have an indication that they don't typically convert I wouldn't worry about it

ya my place of hire does a lot of contract to hire stuff, in fact that is how i got my foot in the door

i was a contractor first doing leased line like T1/T3 stuff repair from a NOC side, which i was gonna get hired on for perm i found out except my boss called me up on the weekend like "hey your past exp on your resume is all (computer network) stuff, call this lady" and i did and got the job internally in a different group doing what i do now.

owns.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as a contractor you exchange low job security and poo poo benefits for higher pay and some control over your hours

as an employee, you take a shittier salary in exchange for the warm embrace of corporate life -- reasonable job security + bennies/perks

so when you post a contract-to-hire job, who the gently caress do you get as applicants?

contractors don't need to be hired. they just want to get paid. advertising "contract-to-hire" indicates you don't really want to pay top dollar. only a truly desperate contractor will even apply, because all his normal leads have dried up and there are no other advertisements

potential employees don't want to be on a contract. they want health insurance and an FSA and a 401k, and the assurance they won't be fired if it can be avoided. what kind of reliable, risk-averse company man signs up to be a contract just for chance at a job offer at the end? the unemployed, hapless loser kind

contract-to-hire just makes no god drat sense as a strategy

contract to hire is a great way for someone to get their foot in the door somehow and prove themselves, in my experience.

i dont think anyone takes a gig like that unless they are looking to move up, or are struggling to find work, but its a good setup for both those jobseekers who are, and the companies to them it gives them a "real" interview of candidates that may be useful elsewhere in the company, or that are poo poo and it's no harm done

for the job seeker, its a chance to get in somewhere without any real lead in / foot in the door

i dont hate on contract to hire at all. it's pretty transparent

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

he places I know that use c2h do it primarily as an extended interview process so they don't have to be so fussy up front

I'm not saying there's not jerks who don't abuse it, just that there are reasonable use cases for it

exactly.

6 month contract to hire gives people time enough to learn systems, get access, and display actual real world benefit, or display an utter lack of ability to do so

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

by advertising c2h, you guarantee that you will only get the most desperate candidates

if the fear is that you have to be really fussy in normal applicant selection, c2h is gonna make that problem worse

i know i'm responding to rotor's reply, but i dont know how it makes the problem worse.

everyone is fussy in normal applicant position when you are talking about a 401k-having salaried type position. either you come parallel from a role at another company (and scrutinized why you are leaving them, because lovely workers try to bail sideways all the time), or more commonly, jump ahead based on relationships you have

i dont see how that changes, i mean HR is crazy and i dont understand it but it doesnt seem to me like applying C2H for jobs you need filled ASAP changes the desk job hiring process that much.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you are already excessively fussy facing the general population of applicants, targeting the most desperate 10% of applicants is gonna put you in an even worse position
you're not contracting the 10% job seekers to do that, you're giving any applicant a chance to prove themselves below, at, or above a basic position. many stay doing what they were contracted for forever, you do a job you keep the job etc.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you're worried about why people make lateral moves, you should be 100x as worried about a candidate who would be willing to consider a "lateral" move into a contract-to-hire, a job that is a step down in every way

c2h i said was a step up kind of job.

lateral moves from people who suck i acknowledge as a thing and C2H only helps out in that becuase they aren't bought by the new company, and their retardedness usually shows itself in that time, before costing the company TONS on them

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

c2h will scare away the top 90% of job seekers, for the reasons i enumerated earlier
and as i've said it's to move UP not down or ideally not sideways. the top majority already have prospects above that. those who suck rear end and/or have bitter pasts at former employers yet list "good jobs" face extra scrutiny, i'd figure

moving up here meaning you're out of a job, don't have a good lead in, just need to get a job and you're not an idiot.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

soliciting applicants for c2h is scraping the barrel. you are consciously choosing to interview the most desperate candidates.
i disagree. the barrel is often extremely wide and there is talent out there that just doesn't have the foot-in to show itself without a gamblers chance.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they may not be desperate because they're bad. as you pointed out, some of them may be struggling to advance themselves. a c2h ad might get a marginal applicant an interview his resume would never have otherwise won him

exactly, lots of people are struggling to find work who have real skills, if you can find a c2h in a company that does things you're good at, you can quickly advance and find a role.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
just send a status update email at the end of your day saying "i changed this and that" no need to complicate stuff with that bullshit

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
fwiw i have some systems in operations that require commit messages for no reason and i like to just include random facts.

i'll be arsed to put in "added a customer (customername)" thats stupid. ill put in like, a world record in sports from the 1800s or something.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

china is two bad harvests away from open revolution

i think some of america is close to two bad cop shooting innocent minorities for the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

rotor posted:

write a bean, do a shot

3 coffee beans in the sambuca

• Locked thread