Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

I enjoy programming in c++ because when I actually manage to do something useful with that language, I feel like a goddamn genius

This is me and C#. Hobby programming is all I end up doing since my very important CJ work doesn't have time for any code jibba jabba. Making little windows programs that automate tedious tasks helps me not top myself for one more day.

Thanks for being kinda handy, cee sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

FamDav posted:

we encounter so much mediocrity in our day to day lives that it infuriates and depresses us that people who do not put in a sincere effort can be rewarded as well or even better than us. we have to accept that our reward for hard work and persistence is the knowledge that we took the more difficult path and succeeded.

only then will you find happiness and comfort.

but first...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAF95RBuJso

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

MononcQc posted:

I would be so amazed to have to maintain code like that that I might just silently deal with it, in a strange mix of hatred and respect.

:aaa: Lookit that big drat thing. It's hideous/beautiful!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

then implement something with terrible design. if u can tell that ur doing something bad thats good enough for a babby dev. u get better with practice but u DONT get better from reading a text on UML and making diagrams for a month

WHAT??? son, you better see me after class.

heh, school programming is some seriously misleading stuff. oh well, it has its purpose but it's been a lot of fun to just strike out on my own and try and build stuff in a new language. i know i don't know Good Practices in there but thanks to visual studio and online docs holing my hand i can build little dumb apps in c# and that's pretty neat.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

same but replace 'text editor' with 'lovely 70 dollar program that does the exact same thing as programs 40 years its senior'

i'm mad as hell about sublime and i'm not gonna take it no more! :tizzy:

vim can suck a dick, BBEdit 4 lyfe! :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ronald Raiden posted:

no, libraries are what define us as people. If we don't use the hip new ones we arent' cool. Sulk is right to check with this thread before using any framework or library. We are the arbiters of lovely code.

i'm teaching myself some python to automate a little task at home. i hope this isn't offensive to the code gods. :ohdear:

• Locked thread