Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

i'm a new and lovely programmer and wasn't a CS major and i know this and am trying to get better

is that too much to ask :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

whats the best programming language????

G because then you can understand labview

oh who am i kidding no one understands labview

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

4 space supremacy

(i use python)

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

git clone trooper posted:

ive realized that. most people in yospos outside of the games thread have realized that. then theres the 40 year old developer who loves to talking about his LARPing on the weekend like its not something to be kept secret between yourself and your therapist.

as a new dev and working with other ones, this this this

i don't want to talk to you about the chip design in a sega cd

ripping your own games from discs is not a good investment of time

i don't care. talk to me about rock climbing or something

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

~Coxy posted:

guy at my work uses comic sans 14 pt bold as his ide typeface

recently former coworker did the same

hmm

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Soricidus posted:

webdev update: loving hell I do not envy anyone who has to do this full time. how have you not killed yourselves yet. how in satans name did this clusterfuck of terrible languages and terrible libraries using unmaintainable hacks to reinvent the wheel on a worse foundation become accepted as the future of computing

you just kinda...do it

idgaf i get a paycheck at the end that is significantly more than almost everyone in the county

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

unless we are talking about backbone.js, then bro what is a controller??

but yeah i look at it as a gateway to other stuff. webdev beats the pants off of any other job type i have ever had

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

syntaxrigger posted:

just curious how many people who have this opinion of IT and programmers live in cali

I am from the lovely south and IT isn't so bad

then again my career is still young

this kind of work is a lot better than what i used to be doing, even if it is a dumb poo poo start-up

most of the other people i work with are pretty ok, but the ones that arent are ~really bad~

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

tef posted:

when they say "the right tool for the job" they don't mean it, they mean "the one i've used before or read about on hacker news"

this one. i don't really read hacker news and all of a sudden we're interested in trying out unproven languages to solve all our problems???

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

man between here and the cjs thread the last few days have been an eye-opener about how not to conduct business attitudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i've finally been on the other side of the programming interview

it sucks. it went not great and it just felt like i was failing the interviewee by not phrasing my questions properly.

it is not so bad if you just let the other coworkers ask the major technical stuff and you just do "cultural fit" BS questions instead

• Locked thread