Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

NihilCredo posted:

i think I'd enjoy a ball pit if i were on acid

they are pretty great this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Ludwig van Halen posted:

my hello world app has 80mb of node modules

pretty sure this is all plaintext

The compilation tools and all of those deps sure. A hello world bundle for react in development mode should be a hair over 1mb, and far less in prod mode.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
vstudio and its related build tools is like a couple gigs isnt it? same idea

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
relay is a method for fetching data, isnt it? flux is for managing the applications local state.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

As a Snake Person I posted:

try looking at them on a 20 inch crt

yeah can confirm it looks way better that way. just tested it out

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

gonadic io posted:

Does npm really not install dependencies of dependencies?

it does and flattens it out poorly now.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
oh yeah shrinkwrap is hilarious. supposedly makes builds/deps deterministic but it is 100% not.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

You should; elm is neato

whats a good getting started guide for elm? anything better than the official ones, or are they a solid starting point? i want to poke around at rewriting a toy interface with it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

fart simpson posted:

whats your background? like are you familiar with haskell or ocaml or f# or something like that already? or do you know javascript and web stuff like react? something else?

im vaguely familiar with haskell/f# but haven't really built anything with them. ive done a lot with react/redux, which is where i first heard about elm.

im starting to go through the Elm Complete Guide and looking at the architecture repo for now, which looks like it may be enough to get me off the ground. but any resources that would help a non-functional guy get a better grasp on this would be great.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

fart simpson posted:

theres not really that much stuff that i know of right now, idk. some guy is working on this: http://www.elm-tutorial.org/ and it looks ok i guess? starts off more basic than the elm architecture tutorial at least. there's a paid (like $20 i think?) video course on pragmatic studio that i heard some people say was good but i obviously can't really tell...

if you have any questions though you can ask them here and i'll likely be able to answer them

great, thanks fart. well see where im at after pushing through the official guides and trying to build some basic stuff. it looks a lot simpler than i remember.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

fart simpson posted:

a word of advice though re: the elm architecture: don't get stuck on stuff like stateful subcomponents. you can't completely hide state from the parent. there's a single, basically global, state object. if it feels like you're running up against the constraints of the language, you're probably trying to do something that you learned before but which elm intentionally makes difficult in favor of other ways of doing stuff. there might be some other stuff you feel weird about at first, but that's the big one that seems to get most people in the early intermediate stage. i recommend trying to just accept the standard elm way of doing things and stop fighting. most people seem to appreciate it once they actually try it and see how simple it ends up being

having used redux for most of my react work the single global state object shouldn't be too jarring (redux is heavily based on elm concepts i think, dan definitely references it a lot).

thanks for the tip though! ill keep it in mind as im building this frontend out.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Barnyard Protein posted:

how are PR's typically done? per feature, per bugfix? my current project is also the first one we're using git for, and its massive PRs everywhere.

we try to keep a PR to one jira issue, be it a feature or bugfix. commits always reference a jira ticket with [PROJECT-###] in the start which links it back for tracking (which makes it possible to have multiple commits per feature if it makes sense)

if its a large feature we make it an epic and have several stories inside, each story gets its own pr. no mondo integration branch (unless we cant prevent it which happened recently), once a story is done it should be able to go out immediately without the rest of the epics requirements.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
after a little playing with elm im starting to get the hang of things. one thing is really bothering me, however: the debugger does not work with StartApp.start, only StartApp.Simple.start. the randomGif sample in the arch repo shows the issue https://github.com/evancz/elm-architecture-tutorial/tree/master/examples/5 (debug mode fails with some forEach error)

my app will have a whole bunch of effects, and this makes it impossible to debug poo poo.

how the hell can i debug an app with effects?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

necrotic posted:

after a little playing with elm im starting to get the hang of things. one thing is really bothering me, however: the debugger does not work with StartApp.start, only StartApp.Simple.start. the randomGif sample in the arch repo shows the issue https://github.com/evancz/elm-architecture-tutorial/tree/master/examples/5 (debug mode fails with some forEach error)

my app will have a whole bunch of effects, and this makes it impossible to debug poo poo.

how the hell can i debug an app with effects?

turns out ports break the debugger until a fix from nov is merged and released

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

fart simpson posted:

um yeah this currently sucks. theres people working on improving it a lot and i guess it will be fixed in 0.17, which should be here in march/april.

speaking of that though, there's a guy right now working on elm reactor to get the following behavior:
1. it works with ports and effects and stuff, of course
2. it saves all events that happen
3. events are exportable and importable from within elm reactor, which means that
4. someone could be testing your app, find a bug, and then they literally send you the event file which is guaranteed to reproduce the issue exactly as they saw it
5. which will own, own, own

is there a place i can see this yet? a branch, or pr?

i think my biggest gripe right now is that a fix for ports and the debugger has been available since _november_ and its still not released. bug fixes are a thing, yall.

overall though i am enjoying my first dive into the language. people in slack have been very helpful and responsive. theres just some organizational things that could be either better or easier to access.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

fart simpson posted:

im expecting that organizational part of it to get better though. evan recently switched companies and the new company is heavily involved & invested in elm as a language and growing it. they announced that there would be some organizational changes to address some of this stuff but no details yet

yup, NoRedInk right? there seems to be some communal effort towards improving things, but its always slow to start. things like elm-tutorial.org are a good start

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

fart simpson posted:

yeah, noredink. oh also you should use sublime text with the elm plugin because thats my plugin and i need to see my users count go up :twisted:

nah im one of those idiots who cant stop using vim

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
why is it that !someNegative() has remained so prevalent? i just dont get the thought process that leads to that instead of creating a somePositive() to call instead.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

never used ef before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but the big thing is that i'll want to query this data in a few different ways to list files by various pieces of the data (by directory, by metadata, alphabetically, etc). does ef allow that level of flexibility?

yeah, you can still query on whatever you want. i had some struggles setting up sqlite + ef in the past, hopefully they made that easier.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Bloody posted:

use the sqlite.net driver it's first-party and then use sql like an adult

yeah thats what i ended up doing last time i tried sqlite + ef.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
redux is based on the elm architecture for state handling. im pretty sure the time traveling debugger in redux was influenced by the elm one.

there's a one-line "fix" for the elm debugger when using ports; ive been waiting for the rewrite for a while now and ended up building the toolchain myself so i can use it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, don't use attr_accessor, use attr_reader and then make your own setter, if needed.

defining your own setter changes nothing in that example

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
yeah just email yourself, or maybe sms if you want something a lil different

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

also does anyone actually curry things in javascript

mostly for event binding and callbacks but yeah

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

GameCube posted:

does plain old mono do guis?

yeah but as datroof said they have problems. ive worked on a cross-platform .net gui app with a bunch of forms and its at a point you basically have to hand-edit them or it wont compile on mono.

to be fair it was targeted at .net 3.0 i think so it may be better with newer releases.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
you need CORS for cross-domain ajax requests to work. basically an OPTIONS request is sent first and some headers come back saying what the client can do (which methods on that route)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Access_control_CORS

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Bloody posted:

ya. why is iis doing that and not routing the requests to the webapi application

theres no route at / according to that error. its trying to show a directory list and denying that

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
yeah get postman is great for testing web apis

or get really comfy with curl

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i dont have to download .net every time i close and open an application

node isnt usually in the browser though

web tech sucks but it pays well and i didnt go to college so ill take it

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
maybe slightly less poo poo

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

today i deleted 400+ lines of code from a routine no one has updated in nearly a decade and nothing changed or broke. this naturally makes me think that there is now an insidious barely detectable bug lurking waiting to gently caress me at the optimal time to ruin me the worst

if your lucky it happens after your gone and nobody has any loving clue.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
yikes. knowing someone is judging you makes anything tough. good luck!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
sounds like you need a monad

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
we have been gifted with typed json to fix all of its issues lets celebrate
https://tonyarcieri.com/introducing-tjson-a-stricter-typed-form-of-json

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Condiv posted:

does that typed json seriously support float as it's ONLY decimal type?

well its the typed javascript object serialization format and javascript only has floats

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Server needs to support it. Its an OPTIONS request plus headers. Any web framework worth its salt will have a middleware for it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
subtrees are better

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

subtrees are a different set of nightmares

if you had to pick one which would you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

HoboMan posted:

i just redesigned a new "feature" that was originally being worked on by our former dba. my design not only works better but was easier to implement than their original design and was literally the first thing i thought of. how are people this bad at things????

e: getting praised for this is making me v uncomfortable

everyone is terrible including yourself you just happen to be slightly less terrible

• Locked thread