Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i just spent an hour trying to figure out why this windows call that finds spotify's window title for sending to my arduino was loving up half the time

i have atmel studio running and it was finding the SpotifyController project instead of the actual spotify window and sending that to the AVR :eng99:

but now i got a sweet program running that shows me the artist/song playing on spotify :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dear yospos how do i programming job when i live in florida and make $9 an hour and can't afford to move to the west coast where all the jobs are? tia

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

not here for what i know how to do (python web dev) but oh man if i knew php or vb.net i'd be in business and probably want to kill myself

i'm a big retard and somehow ended up in project management and computer security classes in college instead of learning anything useful. let me tell you all about waterfalls.

i did apply to the one python place and they called me and talked to me and said they'd be in touch but it's been 2 weeks so they prob realized i'm a useless poo poo like everyone else

i'm really depressed is what i'm saying

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dont all python guis are terrible

real answer: pyqt? never used it though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

yeah i'll just pull 5 years of asp.net/oracle webserver/vb.net/whatever the gently caress they're asking for experience out of my rear end, maybe by 2016 i'll know enough languages to find a non-retail job

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

stoutfish posted:

should of started grinding out those langs in high school

i did that. unfortunately it was python frameworks and mysql databases with 50 million rows of tf2 hats instead of things people actually use irl.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Nanami Madobe posted:

Protip: quit your job and collect unemployment checks so you can go smoke weed all day.

they haven't legalized that in florida yet!!!! it would probably help with my crippling anxiety attacks though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

stoutfish posted:

are you white? you may be able to get away with it

nope, while florida isn't The South the police are literally buford t. justice and they'll throw white people away for years for it

anyway now that i'm over that attack i'll just go apply for everything non-management within 40 miles that's in a language i've used at any point and let them worry if i'm qualified which is what i should be doing anyway

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 18, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btw if you already know django and python, you can learn asp.net in your spare tiem in like two weeks

and 90% of that time will be spent learning c#. the actual asp.net lifecycle/libraries will be cake to anyone who's done django

well i do have vs2013 ultimate installed thanks to my college i can find some dumb thing to write

coffeetable posted:

have you tried applying for anywhere

well yeah to things i think i'm qualified for

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

whoa half an hour after booting up vs2013 and google i made an application consisting of an html form that sends data over the COM port to my arduino to make it say yospos bitch followed by whatever i type into the box c# owns

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

i have anroid and ios listed on my linkedin and get multiple linkedin mails per day from people that want me to work on their disruptive toilet app or w/e. learn mobile get job

I did start learning objective-c and write an ios app for my website at the height of tf2 hat mania but never submitted it to the app store because they don't accept mspaint logos and i literally can't draw inside the lines irl so i gave up

i did in my darker days however write a really lovely android app for the site that got 36,000 downloads (even though it only works on the model of phone i had at the time) but there is no goddamn way i am doing loving android development oh my god what a shitpile i'll learn mumps before i work with the ADK ever again

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

tef posted:

there is some old loving saying about comics, writing, drawing etc that you have thousands of bad ideas in your system and you have to just get on with writing them and developing them before you get close to being good at a thing

but if this is the case why is vince russo still a terrible writer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

huh i feel better now that i'm applying for literally everything on monster with a language i've ever used and i started messing with c# funny how that works

funny computer

i read some shsc rant about idiot web dev coworkers who only know how to write skins for select queries and type php errors into stack overflow and had an irl meltdown for a while, i mean i know i'm not like that but ~i was triggered~ anyway

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

So this is a throwaway because I simply feel stupid asking this.. either its a viable option or it's going to come across creepy/stalkerish and i'm not at all intending that. I'm simply a guy who's oblivious to dating stuff, never had a sister and not many friends in the world at the moment to get feed back on this so i'm turning to you.

Here ya go.. while doing the online dating thing I come across a profile that's unlike any profile i've come across before and really stands out... we're talking 5+ years of online dating here.

I send a message but 2 weeks go by and she hasn't been back online since earlier in the same day that i sent my message... I have never met this girl but know where she works... it's not the place you can just drop in and bump into her so creating a random-hapenstance is out.. but i'm curious would it be creepy or whatever to send this girl flowers and nudge her to get back online to find the message or try to connect with her that way?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shaggar posted:

use java or c#

SkinSuitFactoryFactoryFactoryFactoryFactoryFactoryFactoryFactoryFactoryFactoryFactory

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

it's because you updated your linkedin profile, not because they read or understood what you put in it

yeah let me tell you about all the emails in broken english that start with dear sir trying to get me to do things not listed in my resume 400 miles away i get when i update my linkedin profile

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Morkai posted:

seriously what is in your profiles that you're getting sanjeep or xiao and not daily email from pretty ladies that speak perfect english? maybe it's my location?

"i know all these languages and uhhh i did a semester of java 3 years ago and i am in tampa and i do not want to relocate" = "dear sir i am zhou would you like to write java test cases using this framework in des moines?? must have 10 years experience with windows 8"

i rewrote my profile to make more sense and i already got an email in proper english about django so let's see if that goes anywhere

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 21, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

thanks shaggar you're the best

now make it say "yospos bitch" to a device attached to COM6 when you press a button and you'll be on my level :smug: :smug: :smug:

also some place wants to schedule a phone screening with me :yaycloud:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

So what you're saying is there are many arguments for what goes in what on mvc????

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bloody posted:

no

there are people who understand what mvc is (shaggar, me) and people who are idiot troll hellfucks (tiny bug idiot)

you're agreeing with shaggar but arguing with tiny bug childe.

god who do i believe!!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol if you don't turn away potential customers because they're not hip enough

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Valeyard posted:

i was taking olympic medal data and putting it into a tree strcuture and i was really short on time. this seemed like it owuld be faster than looking for whatever python libraries im sure exist for doing this

it actually wasnt as quick as i hoped because it took forever trying to keep the strings properly indented

also you can see at the bottom i print out it all out to the console and then I would manually copy over thousands of lines for each continent, so it wasn't even fully automated

you mean like python's built-in xml and json representation?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Damiya posted:

*writes a PHP*

Nice!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i had a phone interview today. the guy seemed impressed by my tf2 hat and eve online credentials. he was also impressed when i told him about my latest hobby, embedded programming, and talked about using erlang on the raspberry pi. he asked me about availability and salary and everything.

he said i'm 1 of 4 they're considering and they'll get back to me next week

i hope i get it yospos :ohdear:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

it's you, the grovergrammer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

i wish i could post the clusterfuck I just found at work.

the embedded software behind our most successful product is 3100 lines of dynamic c without a single subfunction

there are approximately 200 variables named something like tmp1, temp1, temp01, tp3, etc

every operation is surrounded by an if with very specific constraints like some kind of primative quasi state machine

it is so awful that it fills me with joy to look at. the cure for imposter syndrome is really, really bad code

the software controlling those toyota ECUs that killed people had 10,000 global variables with names like that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

well hey it took the only place that's ever responded to my resume a month to tell me they're not interested

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

no i'm afraid of posting there because i made a bunch of shitposts when i was having really bad panic attacks and people are still like "wow i read your posts in there you're a bad poster"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I have a parachute account but i think it got heartbled

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Is that the guy who wanted to unit test his fizz buzz program

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

coffeetable posted:

speaking of, torpedo'd myself with a recruiter yesterday by showing less-than-absolute enthusiasm for the position. lesson learnt.

same but accidentally picking up a recruiter cold call and hanging up on him when he asked me how much i made in my position as a CJ at [chain store] then laying in bed for an hour hyperventilating

uhhh maybe i should go to a therapist instead of sh/sc

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

some place wants to pay me $22 an hour to write unit tests for their web program in a browser automation thing or something

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AWWNAW posted:

selenium blows

is it worse than janitoring computers for 80 year olds (no)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i do not have experience in that maybe you could enlighten us

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The tao of cp? mods

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

com.ge.oven.thermostat has stopped working. *house burns down*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i recently discovered lisp and it seems pee cool to mess around with but how do i make it talk to a mysql? there's like five zillion libraries with lovely documentation and they all don't work unless you have a specific lisp implementation pirated from a DEC backup disc in 1975 or whatever the gently caress. i'm just using whatever apt-get install clisp downloaded i ain't got time for that jibba jabba

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

comedy answer: continue using python

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tbh in 2014, if you want to experiment with lisp, i would point you towards clojure

upsides:
  • usable, finished, documented libraries exist

• clojure<=>java interop aint perfect, but it is scads better than CL's C ffi

• it's pretty fast

• not designed by committee

• you can package and distribute an application as a jar (instead of a 500 MB 'world' image w/ complete sbcl runtime)

• maven and lein are way friendlier than asdf

downsides:
  • it's very, very fp-focused. CL makes it easy to write OO or straight-imperative code. clojure does not.

• it's not standardized. clojure can change underneath you

• it's pretty pokey compared to sbcl (but still faster than e.g. clisp)

i read some of the lisp thread and they talked about clojure having really lovely error handling and documentation with the dev solution being "fix/write it yourself or dwi" but i will download that as well and give it a try

e: or scala. or haskell! i can download them aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shaggar posted:

anything more complicated than basic is all great if you want to massively complicate your development efforts for no reason

• Locked thread