Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My family has a rental property in a college town that I managed until I moved too far away, so all of our tenants are college kids. We always make them have cosigners so if the kid is a deadbeat and doesn't pay rent we can hit up the parents. We haven't seen too many problems... yet. Mostly them being overdramatic about routine maintenance issues ("the garbage disposal is making a funny noise! WE ARE GOING TO DIE"), or them ignoring issues until we call them going "yo WTF?" after receiving a $100+ water bill (normally ~$40) and them going "oh yeah a toilet's been running..." It's mostly issues that arise from them being away from mommy and daddy for the first time and not really knowing what's "normal" for apartment living.

We include water/sewer/trash in our rent because if the kid decides they don't have to pay bills (a lot of college kids don't realize you have to go pay bills and they don't magically pay themselves :psyduck:) then it can come back to bite us since the town can place a lien on the property for unpaid utility bills. We don't want to get into legal/credit trouble because of some dumbass tenant. This is definitely a thing you need to look into when buying a rental property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

That's just sad. I'm planning on a week of thorough scrubbing of my place after I move out.

Renting to undergrads is both good and bad-- you pretty much have guaranteed occupancy so your place is never unoccupied for long and you can require cosigners on the lease so deadbeat tenants aren't too much if a problem; but you have to deal with kids living on their own for the first time which is often disastrous.

If you do rent to undergrads, have a party clause in your lease. Ours says no gatherings of more than 10 people. They will ignore it and still have parties, but if they clean up well you'll never find out. If they ruin the place, you can hammer their rear end for lease violations. The legality of this may vary by state so you might want to check.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Edit: misread that as you renting from a company with lots of litigation against it, but I think my post should still stay here:

As someone who owns a unit in and lived in a complex with a bankrupt management company with all sorts of litigation against it, RUN.

The individual unit owners couldn't take over the HOA till they'd sold a certain number of units, but they went bankrupt and never finished selling or even building the remaining units so we were poo poo out of luck (and still are).

Here's a wonderful sampling of poo poo that happened to me as a tenant:
  • They did all the land grading wrong and flooded the neighboring neighborhood and got sued, halting construction for nine months
  • During the nine months they put us in temporary units at another complex, who then evicted us due to non-payment by the management company
  • Decided to move us in to the few finished units before the complex was finished being built, but with the odd instructions to not put anything on our porches and to park our cars behind the buildings which we thought was odd but chalked it up to construction hazards but actually...
  • ...it was because they never got the occupancy permits from the town,
  • Who then evicted all of us (eviction #2) and since we'd already been evicted from our temporary homes they had to put us all up in hotels for "a couple days till they get it sorted out"
  • Which then turned into a month of living in a hotel
  • During which the realtor was MIA, we later find out because she was in rehab for a cocaine addiction
  • We eventually move in for real, but since the complex management is bankrupt they can't afford to finish construction so there are 24 people living in a complex designed to house 150+ people. Let me tell you, it's really hard to rent out an apartment in a complex full of abandoned half finished buildings with only a handful of college kids living in it.

We'd already put money down so we stuck it out. There's no way I would've put up with that poo poo if we hadn't already put down a downpayment.

I lived there for three years during which no one new moved in aside from people's roommates moving out and new roommates moving in, it was really fun as a college student because all of our families owned our units so we could basically do whatever we wanted without landlords getting upset, but as a landlord it was a freakin' nightmare.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 30, 2013