Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

TheLizard posted:

I'm moving soon and don't want to sell my place, so I'm going to be a landlord soon enough. DC area; my realtor takes the first month rent and 7% commission each month. This seems to be standard in the area.

My biggest concern is that in MD you can't discriminate on criminal history or section 8 status. I do NOT want section 8 renters in here; this is my first house, I've owned it for 9 years and put a bunch of work into it, so I don't want trashy people destroying it. I'm sure I'll get heat for that, but I don't care. Every place I've lived that has had section 8 renters in the community you could tell which house was theirs.

Raise the rent. My friend's parents own a rental duplex not far from me, and were renting it for what was a pretty drat good deal for the nice neighborhood it's in. When they were looking for new tenants, they'd get a shitton of inquiries about whether they accepted Section 8 (not sure about how Section 8 discrimination works in PA) and lots of low-quality applicants in general, so they just arbitrarily raised the rent by a few hundred a month. After that, only folks inquiring were quiet grad students, young professionals, and well-to-do young families.

Also, don't ever rent to undergrads. Ever. My downstairs neighbor is one of my landlord's maintenance guys, and oh god the stories he tells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
^^That sounds like a nightmare.

Bloodnose posted:

Am I a weirdly easy tenant? Are there that many people out there who make trouble for property owners and cost them crazy amounts of money and make renting unprofitable? Is it because I rent in newer buildings that don't require expensive upkeep?
I'm one of these tenants. I totally hosed up on getting the lease in on my previous house and it got rented out from under us. I talked to the landlord (a big one in my city), and he remarked that my roommates and I were super good tenants and then bent over backwards to get us set up in another one of his properties down the street. It all worked out in the end, and his maintenance guy downstairs is happy to have non-lovely upstairs neighbors for the first time in ages.

My current building is over a century old, but well-maintained. It got a new roof recently, but that had nothing to do with lovely tenants. Otherwise, with us replacing a pack of slobby college kids, all units in the building are occupied by easy-going, long-term tenants (I plan to stay here a while), I'd imagine it would be a nice building to maintain. Maintenance guy has some fun stories about the previous batches of tenants in my unit. Like them not knowing how to use a thermostat.

My dad keeps encouraging me to buy a house here (even though I'm loving broke), and that the way to do it is to buy some hulking Victorian that's been chopped up into apartments so that I could have built-in tenants to pay down the mortgage, and then boot them out one by one as reabsorb the divided units and restore the house to its former glory. I mean, I want a cool old house, but I don't know if I want to deal with tenants while trying to restore it. :psyduck:

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Isentropy posted:

In the city that I'm in, the Victorians sit on prime condo/apartment land, but cannot be redeveloped due to heritage rules. What many people have done is divide them up and rent them to undergrads. In a few years, they are so beyond repair that they lose the heritage status and the owner can do whatever they want with the property. Maybe this is what your dad wants?

Quite the opposite, actually. My dad builds houses on the side (he's in commercial real estate development), including remodelingrebuilding our century-old family house. It's essentially a new house built on the footprint of the old house (which disintegrated during dismantlement), with some of the original flooring still intact. Since it was a 'remodel', he essentially got to follow 1900 building code and even built single-pane counterweight windows (that look just like originals). People gasp in surprise when they learn the house was actually built in the 90's. Role model architects include Bernard Maybeck and Julia Morgan.

Getting a house with rentable units would just make it easier to afford (and a better project - my dad LOVES projects and I think he's trying to live vicariously through me and my hypothetical house).

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Peven Stan posted:

You know renting to undergrads is bad when i took out all the trash and swept and wiped my unit down during moveout and the maintenance guy loving hugged me because nobody in my building had ever done that for him.
At my last place, we had a dishwasher, but the landlord was not required to maintain the dishwasher according to the lease. So the dishwasher broke, and we stopped using it and didn't say anything about it. Then it started leaking foul, stagnant water all over the kitchen floor. I called, expecting they'd just uninstall it and leave us with a gaping void, but instead we got a new one. The maintenance guy said he was so happy to help out good tenants that actually cared about the upkeep of the house, and that the worst part of the job was going into these college shitholes and fixing stuff knowing that it'll just get broken again, neglected, or otherwise trashed. Probably why they don't cover non-essential appliances on the lease. lovely college slob? gently caress you, we're not fixing that (until you move out) because your lease says we don't have to. I mean, if I were an undergrad slumlord, then I certainly wouldn't reward kids' mistreatment of my property with a shiny new appliance. So yeah, after seeing how kids treat houses, I definitely understand why the lease is so stingy about what the landlord says they will fix.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If you do rent to undergrads, have a party clause in your lease. Ours says no gatherings of more than 10 people. They will ignore it and still have parties, but if they clean up well you'll never find out. If they ruin the place, you can hammer their rear end for lease violations. The legality of this may vary by state so you might want to check.
Heh, I went to a gathering at a friend's house, and we were hanging out in the basement being quiet and smoking cigars, and then his ice-bitch housemate comes down and pulls the party clause on him for having nine people over, the maximum being eight. She also yells at him for the cigars, even though she smoked in the house too. It was then I understood why my buddy was like the third or second third roommate in six months. But that was the first time I'd heard of a party clause.

Probably a good idea, even if just to enforce it in case things get out of hand. Like, hosting a big Thanksgiving for all your classmates that couldn't get home? Awesome! Raging kegger where windows and floorboards get broken and the cops and fire department gets called? Yeah...

ANMAN posted:

In some states there are certain thresholds that can be triggered when you remodel a house.

This, pretty much. And I probably meant retaining old zoning in some cases, not building code - the building code stuff was namely getting away with the single-paned windows, and the multiple wood-burning fireplaces (which might be a zoning thing), and probably something about window:wall ratio or something. You can't do that poo poo with new houses. Otherwise, the construction was all nice and modern with proper insulation and a foundation (the house originally had no foundation and was single-wall construction, like literally, plaster and shingles mounted onto opposite sides of the same boards). As for zoning issues, the remodel enabled us to keep the house on its original footprint up in the corner of the property. Tearing down and rebuilding would have reset the zoning, requiring us to place the house in the middle of the lot and on top of my great grandmother's mature garden, which includes an absolutely giant and beautiful cutleaf maple, and that was unacceptable. Oh, and we would have had to reduce the number of stories from four to two with new construction. My dad got away with a lot of poo poo, and the town council still hates him 15 years later.