Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Am I a weirdly easy tenant? Are there that many people out there who make trouble for property owners and cost them crazy amounts of money and make renting unprofitable? Is it because I rent in newer buildings that don't require expensive upkeep?

Yes, basically you're a model tenant in a nice building. I worked for a local landslumlord for a bit in high school, and the poo poo his tenants would pull was ridiculous. 4 college students dumped most of a keg of beer in the basement (finished and carpeted) and left it for a month or so before moving out. Lady kept her dog penned up in the enclosed porch, never letting it outside, then moved without cleaning. Both of those ended up being "gut and replace" rooms, both tenants were essentially uncollectable so he lost a fair bit of $ on those. Tenants that don't pay, don't pay on time, wreck the place, etc are all too common (especially if, like him, you don't screen them well and rent crappy places). Some tenants call about every burnt out lightbulb, or every time they clog the toilet (seriously, people need to learn what a plunger is). Some will never call unless the building is on fire (and even then, they'll wait an hour or two).

If you want to find out for yourself, it's not hard to become a landlord. Read the fatwallet thread or any of the other RE investing forums out there to get a feel for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Yeah, my area (Hong Kong) is in the midst of a ridiculous property bubble that when it finally bursts will make for some great real estate investment opportunities. And I've always been a more conservative investor in that I'd probably prefer long-term renting over short-term speculating.

Again, it looks like the easiest job in the world from the perspective of a (apparently) model renter, but I guess if you get a bad tenant they can really mess things up for you both financially and make your life uncomfortable.

Yeah, people think it's really easy until they do it. Done right, mind you, it's not hard, but it does take effort, especially to set up everything to do it right (eg: have to have someone to handle all sorts of emergencies, must "train" your tenants to pay on time and not gently caress up the place too badly, have to screen tenants, and navigate the local courts when it all goes wrong).

For example on costs: the lady with the dog mentioned before ended up costing ~$3500 in damages along with $900 in unpaid rent when she left. She left a $900 security deposit behind. $3500 is about a year's worth of profit on that house, in addition to the month it was off the market for repair (another $900), and having to find a new tenant in the off season.

A bad tenant can easily kill several years profit. My old landlord ended up $20k in the hole after one of his rentals went south on him (OTOH, that was largely his fault for renting section 8 without understanding the program properly, then being a dick when he got called on it by the Housing Authority).

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007
Has anyone owned rental property in the DC area? Wondering how bad DC landlord-tenant laws are and how expensive it ends up being to keep the place up.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

TheLizard posted:

MD, DC or VA?

All three. I'm in VA, but looking at jobs on the MD side as well, and a few in the city proper. I'd prefer VA, since I know the law on this side of the river, but there's not too good rental property in the suburban sprawl that makes up this side of the Potomac.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Generally, renting the place with furnishing like a washer or a fridge for the increased rent, or having the place completely bare and the tenants supply their own poo poo (to break).. which makes more sense from the cash flow perspective?

I have some things that I could leave in a rental, or I could take them and sell them and get some money straight away. I guess it depends on the tenant, if they're decent (which is a result of the property you're renting) then it's a long term earner. If they're dumb kids then they'll break poo poo and quickly.

That heavily depends on your local market. EG: Here in the DC area, there are very few rentals (at least in the <$2500/mo markets) that don't provide most appliances. Higher end places are always down to what you work out with the tenant, but IME, most tenants expect a fridge, stove, washer and dryer (if the unit has hookups for one) or laundry in basement, etc.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

DNova posted:

Does anyone in this thread own commercial property? Man, it seems so enticing to lease out a property on triple net terms, but in my area it seems like you either have tenants permanently or a constant flux of tenants going out of business rapidly and leaving you vacant more than not.

edit: I don't have any commercial property, but I like the idea of it.

Sounds like you want a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_tenant_lease. Hope you've got *deep* pockets.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, you only get a CTL if the lease is long, with a nationally known tenant, triple-net or bondable, and the property is typically brand new.

Mixed use properties (commercial + residential) would not qualify. CTLs are typically single-tenant new buildings (eg: 7-11s, CVS, Dollar General are all common names).

Multi-tenant retail, particularly strip malls, has been hti really hard lately; banks are getting a bit shy on lending without solid numbers, experienced ownership and long leases from good tenants.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

Can anyone speak to the unique differences between managing a multi family property versus a SFH?

I'm running numbers on a pretty distressed triplex, and the comps I see seem too good to be true. Like 3-4% of the purchase price plus repairs in total monthly rents.

Are the problems just dealing with the tenants maybe not getting along? Noisy upstairs tenant, whiney downstairs one?

It's mostly that you'll have more turnover (people see apartments as a place to live, where a house is "home"), and possible tenant conflicts (though I've found those are pretty rare). A lot of 2/3/4 unit properties in older areas are shoddy conversions from single family houses, and that can cause some major issues WRT permits and construction quality when you go to fix something.

That said, 3-4%/month!? Where is this place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

I posted this when I was looking at just numbers, but just the purchase price and rental income don't tell the story. I actually did a walk through and found out the previous owner was a straight up slum lord. Roaches everywhere, holes big enough to fall through in the floor/ceiling between units, water damage everywhere. I like the location, but I don't have the cash to gut it and fix it, and I'm not going to keep the current situation as is and just rake in the cash.

The numbers are even better now as the price dropped. Triplex is $49,000 and monthly rents are $2150.

That's a ridiculously good price:rent ratio, even if the condition is crappy. I couldn't buy the land for a building like that at that price here (DC area), much less a building. Even the crack-den slumlord specials here are more like 2%, and that's with all utilities paid by the landlord.