Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I went to an open house as a potential renter once. Nothing weird about it, actually made me want to apply sooner to try to get in before other people who were there at the same time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Is the tenant typically responsible for the landscaping? I've never heard of this; it seems like a recipe for a dead lawn. I see that it was in your lease but has anyone ever had a tenant ever keep the lawn and garden looking nice? Other than that, everything seems reasonable to me, the layman.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We are currently renting a house which has a detached in-law suite (we call it the cottage). When we started renting the house our landlord said that we were welcome to rent the cottage out to someone else if we wanted (most of her previous tenants had done so). My question is about taxes. I believe that we would have to claim the rent we collect as income and then we could deduct the rent we pay for the cottage using some reasonable justification: square footage of the cottage a percentage of the total house + cottage sq footage for example. We'd also then deduct a portion of the utilities and cable, etc.

I'm fine with doing this but I'm curious what would happen if the sub-tenant were to pay their rent directly to the landlord instead of to us. We'd then subtract their rent from our monthly payment so that the landlord ended up with the same monthly rent we currently pay. It'd be a lot easier tax-wise on our end but would it be legal?

Our landlord already wants to have the sub-lease be through her that way if we were to move out, she would have a legal relationship with the sub-tenant. Apparently in the past, previous tenants had sub-leased the cottage without her knowledge then moved out resulting in a weird arrangement with the sub-tenant.

We love our landlord and have a great relationship with her, want to keep it that way. I'm hoping to minimize the hassle on her end but at the same time make sure she's appropriately involved. If I can do that while keeping my taxes as simple as possible, that'd be grand too.

Does anyone have any experience with sub-leasing?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Rurutia posted:

I expect that the liabilities are different and the landlord doesn't want to deal with renting out the properties separately and having to find tenants for both themselves.
Yeah pretty much this. Our landlord lives far enough away that she doesn't want to be responsible for showing the place or finding the tenant. Also there'd be no benefit to her for doing it that way since, as-is, we're on the hook for the full rent every month no matter what the sub-tenant were to do. Finally, since we'd be sharing the back yard and giving up some privacy, we'd like to have the right to screen the tenants too (don't want to get into murky landlord discrimination issues here though obviously). And since it'll be month to month, we'd like to be able to give their 30 days notice if it's not working out or we decide it's not worth it.

I guess it sort of feels like a roommate situation where one person pays the full rent every month and the roommates cut checks to that person rather than everyone paying their portion to the landlord directly. Technically, would that person who pays the full amount have to claim their roommates rent as income? Or is it not like that because those people are on the primary lease, whereas here they would not be. Maybe I'm making it all more complicated than it needs to be.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Taxes are really the least of your concerns when it comes to assuming responsibility for a subletter.
I'm sure you're right, which is why we've put off finding a tenant since we moved in 6 months ago. We can cover the rent fine without one but an extra $800-1000 / mo would sure be nice.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Well if she owns half of the house, she could theoretically rent out her half to a random while she's gone right? It'd be a hassle for her so maybe his offer of paying market rate for rent might be generous, but paying some amount in rent doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don't think owning half the house automatically entitles you to being able to rent it out. What if it was a 1 bedroom? Would that mean that the OP has to share a bed or get bunk beds?
Yeah, good point.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
poo poo I just found out my landlord died of a heart attack. She must have been a good landlord because I'm legitimately sad about this. I'm guessing this will not be good for my hope of subletting the guesthouse in the next few weeks.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Does anyone have a recommendation for background checks on potential tenants?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We're just renting a single in-law suite, worth it for us to spend a little extra (money and time) for the peace of mind. Most people in our area charge at least a $40 application fee.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Anyone used mysmartmove.com, cozy.co, tenantbackgroundsearch.com for background screening?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Well we have our first tenant, they seem great! fave this post

We're subletting the in-law suite out back and it's now covering >50% of our rent. The Bay area housing market is so hosed.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Back when that was posted, there was a parallel discussion going in the doomsday economics thread in which he was on the other side if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I rent a house and sublet the in-law suite because we don't need the space. Do they make kits for those who want to self-guillotine?