Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Someone send me about $300(*) and I'll make the platform.

* Will need to double-check lumber prices. I hope a rope is okay, I don't have a forge

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

so discussing the state of the industry and driving forces behind it is off-topic at this stage? what are the whitelisted topics left?

How much should I raise the rent on a family that's lived in the same place for 8 years? 100 or 300 per month? Keep in mind that I have never and will never meet them, as they live four states away.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

baquerd posted:

I would be really interested in learning more about airbnb rentals. I'm concerned about the additional risks though I've heard it can be incredibly lucrative.

Removing long-term rental units from the market in favor of high-profit hotelling is actually worse, for the community, than 'just' being a rent-seeker. The fact that you're considering it proves that you have no interest in ethics.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 31, 2019

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I think that if you live in the building, or like within 500 feet, then go ahead and rent out that room at a fair price.

Though a co-op is better if you can manage it. Have you considered having friends, and inviting your friends to live with you?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

I have been renting for like 15 years and have had exactly one good landlord. Never increased rent the four years I lived there, let me leech off their internet, fixed stuff quick when it broke, and were generally awesome people. All the other ones sucked rear end.

Me too. Oh wait no, that was the time I was part of a housing cooperative.

Landlords are leeches.

Edit: here's a big thinker for y'all: college town with high real estate costs. 5 students voluntarily pay twice the minimum that would cover costs for the property because we wanted to leave capital in the bank for future repair costs. We still paid hundreds less than the going rate in 2007-10.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 25, 2019