Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Can we get back to the topic of the thread now?

I'm a landlord in Austin TX and the entitlement of these tenants is absolutely outrageous. I bought this property about 10 years ago before the Austin market really took off (sold most of my stock right before the 08 crash) and I'm now making about 3x my mortgages on the units, but these people cannot even fix their own toilets. I swear to god if one more tenant calls me about a "flooded bathroom" I'm going to have to go over there myself and fix it. Unbelievable, you'd think these "tech bros" would learn how to take care of their own drat toilets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Not that this will make any difference (cuz I said it before the thread got locked the last time), but a lot of the laws that would provide strong protections for renters can be made at the city/local level. You guys could absolutely make a difference by becoming politically active if you're not already. You're not making an iota of difference by raging at a forums mod.

This is untrue in many states. Perhaps trade in your holier than thou attitude for some actual knowledge about, I dunno, anything.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

What states prohibit local laws regarding renter's rights?

Most of them! http://www.landlord.com/rent_control_laws_by_state.htm This is obvious information to anyone with any knowledge about American housing. Since you position yourself as an expert it's surprising to see such a blind spot!

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

That is not what I'm talking about.

What I am saying is protections can be passed at a local level, other than (or in addition to) any protections at a state level.

For example, my city recently passed something called "right of first refusal" which protects people who live in trailer parks. States generally, as far as I am aware, have no prohibitions on local laws like that.

I'm sorry, is rent control not a renter protection? Weird.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

It is, and as far as I know, there is nothing stopping it from being passed at a local level in states where it doesn't exist. That's my point, these kinds of protections can be passed locally if they don't exist at the state level.

I literally posted a link showing that they are preempted. How are you this stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

imagine being this optimistic about proletarian rights in america :kiddo:

it's easy when you can just simply Buy A House https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548312&userid=171677#post493914840