Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
I've got a question about property management companies, if anyone has experience with those. When, say, a government organization tells a rental property's management company that X needs to be fixed, what is the process like? Can the property management company go ahead and do it, do they need to get permission from the owner, do they have a certain amount that the owner lets them spend on repairs without needing approval, or something else?

A run down of how property management services run would be great, if someone doesn't mind. The way I loosely understand it, they get the rent and maybe repairs come out of that and they pocket what's left over?

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

DNova posted:

If the property manager kept all the rent, then how does the owner make any money or pay his bills?

Agreements for property management can vary wildly but for small-time landlords, it's generally 5-15% of the rent and they handle tenant screening, rent collection, and are the first line of contact for problems and issues from the tenants. Repairs can be handled however the contract terms are written, so basically whatever you are comfortable with.

Sorry, I didn't phrase it right. I had assumed they got rent and used it to take care of all the expenses and pocketed the rest, the owner getting the value of the house when they sell. I just assumed it was that way because of all the run down poo poo holes I see that are run by property managers. But percentage makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

^ I actually agree with you, but have you tried looking to see where the mice are accessing the house from? Maybe there's a hole in a wall or something, could help.