Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

SeventhSeven posted:

Anyone using AirBRB to rent out your place for shorter duration stays?

I have a megathread about this the travel subforum. See the link under my avatar for.... The link. I do it, and love it.

We've had 17 people over 3 months and have a 3 month renter starting through the site next week.

FrozenVent posted:

Doesn't that have terrible implications with regards to your homeowners' insurance since it's a short term rental?

Maybe. AirBnB insures up to a million, though, so I'm confident our bases are covered either way.I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
How do you guys feel about investing in real estate vs. traditional retirement investing accounts? Those of you voluntarily invested in real estate, are you maxing retirement accounts before getting into these taxable income streams?

My wife and I are super interested in real estate, and invest a good portion of our incomes into tax advantaged accounts, maxing our Roths, maxing 401k matches (3 percent for her, 4 percent for 5 on mine, and an additional 2 percent on my account). It seems to me, the more research I do, that about 10 percent returns may be a fair expectation for returns over the long run in real estate, which IS pretty good compared to historical/expected stock returns, and I guess I'm just kind of torn on the advantage of the retirement accounts and diversification opportunities.

On the other hand, we are making a killing on airbnb on our primary home (thread in travel subforum, link in title under avatar), I'd like to diversify my daily income with the potential to be my own boss full time in the future, and feel like I have the ability, skill, and knowledge necessary to DEVELOP into a good landlord.

Thread has been helpful, so thanks for that. I'm reading a few property investing guides, and any additional recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Anybody have any experience going in with partners, setting up legal framework, etc? I'd like a book to read to give me some background, as an accountant friend, lawyer friend, and I are flirting with starting something. I don't want to lean on their expertise without knowing the generalities of the processes myself. They'd do the legal write ups and funneling of cash, I would be the property manager and just want to figure out what a fair way to set up compensation, capital investments, etc is without committing to too much by myself.