Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:eyepop:

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Raise it $100 and say the single digit increase is due to taxes and insurance increases, which pretty much always happen anyways

:hmmyes:

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

I really see the error of my ways now. I’ll kick out my tenants as soon as possible and put the house up for sale. I’m sure someone who can afford to buy it deserves it more than someone who can only afford to rent it.

nobody is saying you should kick your tenants out. we're saying they should appropriate the house out from your control

edit: with no compensation, obviously

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 26, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

my weird trick to reducing aggregate rent is by giving every squatter a shotgun and a box of shells

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

we have a vast inventory of empty housing units

the problem is that if you try to use one, a bunch of guys in blue uniforms will use violence to remove you from them.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe in some areas, but anyway that doesn't really have much to do with landlords.

landlords are the ones telling the blue outfit people to use the violence

v because it's the option that maximizes their long term expectation of profit

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

lol these avatars own

v it also ignores the implication that somehow even more housing will help fix the problem of there being a vast inventory of empty housing.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 26, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

baquerd posted:

It's certainly much better than letting homeless people into the houses to wreck the housing's value.

its actually worse than that

quote:

No one's saying slaveowners were better than that, just that slaveowners that didn't take care of their slaves got sub-par returns over the long run. If you look at the most successful slave-owners, you would expect to see a general pattern of excellent treatment of well-behaved slaves.

lmao i clicked the av text link

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 26, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

baquerd posted:

My argument is that putting some random homeless people in a free 3bed/2bath in a nice neighborhood is probably going to end with the home value turned to poo poo the same way giving some random free access to a supercar is probably going to end in an expensive repair bill. They don't have any experience dealing with the maintenance, care, and handling of the responsibility being given to them.

destroying every supercar and giant house, and making their production far less profitable? two birds one stone babyyyyyy

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

tagesschau posted:

Congratulations, you've stumbled upon an argument as worthless as "taxation is theft."

where would we be without our vast inventory of empty houses? I should be more appreciative to the people who keep them that way :hmmyes:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

lol as if the very instant a bill was floated that would expropriate the rental properties of the top 1% you wouldn't rally around them in bourgeois solidarity.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

poopinmymouth posted:

I mean, I would because I think housing is a human right and as long as it was ubiquitous I'm game. But I realize the majority of landlords behave exactly like you say.

I was actually talking to TMA ;)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

baquerd posted:

This is one of those cases where the free market just needs to be more free to make room for lower income housing.

Karl Barks posted:

this is like a fox business "we'll just grow ourselves out of the problem!" type argument

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

baquerd posted:

The homeless aren't typically the ones I'm trying to attract in this situation. A lot of places that could benefit the most from denser housing have tons of people commuting multiple hours because they've been priced out of the market in areas with shorter commutes. I bring these people back in by building denser housing, which is relatively cheaper for me to maintain and for them to rent. As a side effect, some people who might be near-homeless can now afford housing as a result of the overall increase in housing affordability.

fyi u were replying to a post asking how you can reduce the number of homeless people without inconvencing landlords.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

baquerd posted:

It's been real educational seeing how policies of treating the homeless really well in SF and LA have worked out.

https://reason.com/reasontv/2019/02/05/stossel-bad-laws-cause-homeless-crisis

There's obviously a huge problem there, but I don't see how giving them housing is going to solve any of it. Giving them proper housing is like end game level poo poo compared to the hurdles they need to jump over to get integrated into society in general.

not going to watch the video but the argument hinted at in the "article" relies on the false assumption that sufficient growth would solve the problem.

quote:

Laura Foote runs the non-profit "YIMBY Action," which stands for "yes in my backyard." The organization promotes policies that encourage more housing construction as a way to bring down prices.

Many San Francisco residents object to this mission.

"I would hate it," one woman told John Stossel.

"I think it'd be really congested," said another.

"Let me build," said developer John Dennis. He spent years trying to get permission to replace a graffiti-covered, long-defunct meat-packing plant with a 60-unit building. He eventually got permission—but it took 4 years.

also, Reason dot com is a bourgeois propaganda outlet

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 26, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

I'm not a revolutionary, so I wouldn't know. My understanding is some countries were better than others.

Also, what if we had one big land lord which by virtue of it's size would bring the profit per unit to an absolute minimum and increase overall profit while providing a house for every person? is this a crazy idea?

that sounds revolutionary to me pal :toughguy:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

It's pretty funny that you're calling the forums cops to evict us from your landlord thread

lmao

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

No I just think joking about violence on the internet is a lot less funny than it was a couple weeks ago, even if it is against mean old landlords. I certainly welcome anybody who wants to have an actual reasonably topical discussion about problems that can be solved in real ways other than murder and violent appropriation of private property

landlording requires the credible threat of state violence on people using an otherwise unused house. Your problem with violence on the part of the tenant trying to keep from being evicted isn't that it's violence, it's that it's being used to keep landlords from taking stuff from the people who are using it.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 27, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

does this thread include airbnb?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Excalibur posted:

Hey guys, I’m in the process of buying a building subject to rent stabilization laws. I’d like to gently encourage my long-time working-class tenants to leave so that I can renovate and raise the rents (and ideally attract more gentrified tenants). I’d appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has successfully handled similar situations.

I don't know about raising the rent but if you want to get income for renovating that housing unit you could sell it to someone else as a condo, get general contracting licensing & insurance and then get them to hire you to renovate it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

apropos of nothing if I want to arm my tenants with weapons for home defense from, say, humanoid leeches, what are some good options?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Droo posted:

Communists from DnD, who are apparently unaware that they too are allowed to buy property if they want to.

If you hate your landlord so much just buy a house. It's not like the entire concept of leasing a home is going to go away in your lifetimes.

"If you don't like the effects over people competing over market share of maintained housing, just join in and start competing" :smuggo:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Something Offal posted:

What happened to this thread? Who are all these people?

We've been told to post in the free speech zone over here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885970&pagenumber=26&perpage=40

edit: quoted the wrong person

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 3, 2019

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

indeed, and one of the coolest things to vote about is when to begin your local rent strike.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Pibur posted:

I have a good relationship with my landlord and would consider myself a model, low effort tenant. I'll even do repairs myself if I'm reimbursed for parts because it's just faster and I can do simple stuff myself. Doesn't change the fact that he's a leech on my life.

Same

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Hello fellow landlords, got a landlording question here.

Hypothetically if a monthly $1000 ubi were established tomorrow, how would you change the rent for your next leases? What if you knew your competitors were raising theirs by $900 with no loss of occupancy?

Thanks for answering my landlording question landlord buddies :)

*a gigantic wire & antenna is obviously bulging from the back of my collar*

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

absolutely it's a conversation worth having, likewise defining the types of landlords and how they operate in different countries.

the same as rent increases always go: choices to the committee, and options put to a poll of the tenants for next financial year. generally in-line with inflation with an option to fund services for the vulnerable. regulators get very interested if you start fleecing tenants

committee huh? :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

It is, and as far as I know, there is nothing stopping it from being passed at a local level in states where it doesn't exist. That's my point, these kinds of protections can be passed locally if they don't exist at the state level.

imagine being this optimistic about proletarian rights in america :kiddo: