Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Weinertron posted:

I see renting for 2% of its value thrown around all over the place as a rule of thumb, is it a sign that one should rent if rents are under 1% of property value in a neighborhood? There's an upper middle class neighborhood near me where there are only a couple of rental houses, but they are being rented for $2400/mo in an area where homes are $380k+. Is this insane landlords losing money?

I think the 2% rule is for economically depressed areas, you're basically slum lording. I own two rental properties in San Diego outright and I don't even get 1% despite purchasing them at below market value(both were foreclosures) and near the very bottom of the housing market. Maybe I've just been lucky but when I see people throwing numbers out like 50% of the rent going towards expenses I don't even understand how that can happen. Here's my personal experience with being a land lord.

I purchased the properties a few months apart for similar amounts in the same neighborhood. Both were in decent enough condition when I bought them that repair costs were under $5000 total. The biggest one-time cost I've had was replacing a garage door that cost me a grand. Initially I didn't do enough tenant screening and I had a few bad tenants that cost me a few months rent. After a bad experience with a couple who left dog poop all over the house(literally, they had a dog who just shat in the house) I decided to up the rent and deposit for the next tenant. It took me longer to fill the vacancy but as of today I have two tenants who's been in those properties for 1.5 and 3 years respectively. They take decent care of the property and I make sure whenever they have a problem I get someone there right away to fix it or replace what's broken.

My ROI was about 8.5%(~16k-17k net income on ~200k properties) until this year when home values in the area went up massively. So now I'm getting a little over 6% and my properties have appreciated ~33% in value.

Now granted I could have gotten more from the stock market, but I wanted to diversify and I firmly believe that SD's mobile tech/biotech economy is very robust and housing prices will continue to rebound alongside the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Dazzleberries posted:

It's not so much slum lording, it's all about location where you can get 2%. Equivilent houses can have radically different values in different areas, while rents vary less. You can get a 50k house that rents for 1k in many areas, but in other areas the exact same house might cost 150k, and you'd be renting it for only 30% more.

1% is a decent guideline but when looking at a house to purchase with financing you must have a spreadsheet that breaks down everything. Include the price, your down payment (typically at least 20%), your anticipated expenses (use 40-50%), anticipated rent and your return and then you can start to get a feel for what would work in your area.

The 40-50% expenses are long term realities. If you bought a brand new house, and turned around and rented it your expenses will be much lower, initially at least. Chances are there is no way a brand new house is a good rental investment so you'll likely have a house much older. While your expenses one year may be low, the next you may have to replace the roof and the furnace and lose money that year.

A lot of people think or try to convince others (to sell them bad investments) to think that Rent - Mortgage Payment = CASH FLOW, but that is short term thinking because it does not include the realities of owning a house, which includes random and not so random expenditures.

See I don't agree with this at all. Roofs here last 15 years or so, and a full replacement will cost ~10k(less for me since my dad is a contractor) for the size of property I have. Annualized over the its lifespan, the cost is less than $700 a year or only 4% of my net income. Furnaces are even less, a full replacement costs only about $1500, annualized over its lifespan and the cost is miniscule. Water heaters are cheap as well, and damages from a broken water heater or a leaky roof is covered by my insurance.

As for things like vandalism by tenants. My landlord insurances covers all of that plus it has a rent guarantee if I get some deadbeats I have to evict. When I add it all up and run the numbers I don't get anywhere near 50%, more like 10%.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 22, 2013

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Dazzleberries posted:

But that's the thing, expenses are anything you spend money on, they aren't only repairs. You probably pay property taxes, you say you pay insurance, and in many situations you have to cover utilities, either all the time or at least during vacancies.

I deducted these things, that's why I said net. You do have a point about vacancies, but so far I haven't had trouble filling fairly quickly.

quote:

Now let's say one of your tenants trashes the place and leaves, you have the security deposit for that right? Well let's say it costs 1k more than their deposit to fix the damage, oh now it's decision time, is that enough to warrant going after them in terms of your time and likely your money? Do you spend 1k to get a judgement for 1k and then have them declare bankrupcty? Or do you just eat the 1k and fix it? Just last month I was in this scenario and I opted to just eat it, only to later get a bankruptcy notice.

Same with eviction. Person stops paying, that's your time and/or your money to get them evicted and depending on your states laws, you may have to pay to store their junk, and you won't be getting rent for at least a month.

None of the above, I file an insurance claim and my insurance reimburses me. Same thing with the eviction.

quote:

Without a doubt, if you are handy and can do many repairs yourself, manage your rentals yourself etc, you can have lower expenses (I'd say mid to high 30s) over a 15+ year period, but when you are evaluating what is a good purchase, it helps to use a conservative number like 50% to be able to identify what is a good investment or not.

Adding absolutely everything including expected maintenance costs I still only get a 25% figure.

Harry posted:

How much is this insurance costing a month? Just from the numbers you're giving it's like $80 a month, which can't possibly cover all those things.

Both policies combined cost a little over $1000/yr per property.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 22, 2013