Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pibur posted:

Please give advice on how to compete in a market where multinational corporations and the idle rich have bought all housing stock and property values start at more than 3.5X my annual income.

where do you live that it's only 3.5x? That's pretty good in today's market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pibur posted:

I, admittedly, have a higher than average income.

then buy a house?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pibur posted:

You got ~100K for a down payment unless I want to have a 3K mortgage payment?

I do, in fact. I saved until I had 100k in liquid cash to purchase a home in an area with a 4x salary-to-house ratio.

You guys need to get into local politics. A lot of the hosed up housing problems are created by very short-sighted policies at the city or county level. For example here, there was a law that stipulated any new construction would need to set aside 12% of the sale price to go into a public housing fund. Guess what happened? No builder would build here, and it created a housing shortage. The city took that 12% requirement away, and builders came flooding back, but by then it didn't matter, house prices had already shot up like 60%.

I'm not saying don't set aside money for public housing by, btw.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Vote for local stuff is all I'm saying, I don't give a poo poo about your very cool and funny references.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Not that this will make any difference (cuz I said it before the thread got locked the last time), but a lot of the laws that would provide strong protections for renters can be made at the city/local level. You guys could absolutely make a difference by becoming politically active if you're not already. You're not making an iota of difference by raging at a forums mod.

Also a lot of cities mean well, but wind up shooting themselves in the foot in regards to affordable housing. In my city for example, a 10% or 12% tax was levied against builders, with the collected revenue going towards affordable housing. This caused all the builders to stop building, which caused housing prices to spike, which caused extreme spikes in rental prices. They took the tax away, builders started building, but it was too late... rents are high as gently caress.

Anyway, get active if you're not.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

What states prohibit local laws regarding renter's rights?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

That is not what I'm talking about.

What I am saying is protections can be passed at a local level, other than (or in addition to) any protections at a state level.

For example, my city recently passed something called "right of first refusal" which protects people who live in trailer parks. States generally, as far as I am aware, have no prohibitions on local laws like that.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

etcetera08 posted:

I'm sorry, is rent control not a renter protection? Weird.

It is, and as far as I know, there is nothing stopping it from being passed at a local level in states where it doesn't exist. That's my point, these kinds of protections can be passed locally if they don't exist at the state level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Pibur posted:

Man, sure am glad that the ruling class is so well educated and has the best reading comprehension. What with all the contracts they have us sign and are 100% legal.

I'm definitely not ruling class, if that makes you feel any better. Generally I have good reading comprehension but not while I'm working and posting at the same time I guess.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I am, and our biggest problem is people who don't see anything wrong with leaving basic human needs up to the market, but I always save some ire for anyone blaming the victims for being insufficiently "active."

I don't blame anyone. I want stronger protections too, you know.