Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snevet
Jun 12, 2011
I'm not a landlord, but I do work for a bank that finances such properties and know a person who owns some property as a landlord.

I don't know if you've thought too much about financing yet, but a thought for you as far as financing goes:

In Canada, many banks offer a financing option for properties where you have a mortgage loan and mortgage line of credit. The mortgage portion operates like any standard mortgage does and it could be variable or fixed rate, short term, long term or whatever you want. The line of credit is a piece of revolving credit that's typically at a fairly low interest rate that's also variable based on the prime rate. What it would let you do is use any available equity you have in your home to pay for any repairs (assuming you have any equity) or any expenses.

It goes without saying, but it'd be a good idea for you to explore the rental market you're looking to buy in as well as you might be very surprised at what you can rent a house for. The house next door to me is renting for $1600 a month not including utilities. The mortgage payment on my house is only $900 a month property taxes included. Assuming that person got a deal on their mortgage like I did, they are making a crap ton of profit.

Another thing to consider to is possibly opening up a business to explore different income tax deduction opportunities. Businesses are taxed differently than individuals and there are lots of opportunities to write off expenses (legal fees for the mortgage, bank fees, whatever). For example, if you own a corporation, you could pay yourself in dividends to reduce the amount of income tax you have to pay--in Canada obviously.

Anyway, good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU