Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hey, I'm making a lot of money from my tenants need for shelter but I'm trying to do more. Anyone know where I could get some human sized coin operated food and water dispensers? I'm thinking something like what you see in a hamster cage. I'll install them and ban outside food in the lease.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hey dude, too your advice but not really sure how it helps. Now my house has trains running through it and homeless people sleeping in it which is pretty much the exact opposite of renting.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

osker posted:

You are making an assumption about the mindset and motivation of everyone here. I am an engineer who has very purposely moved away from residential work with the big developers because that poo poo fucks your soul up and moved towards cultural and infrastructure work "for the common good."

making GBS threads up the thread with clever posts asking how to evict or avoid providing heat are in bad faith and clearly misinformed because you literally cant do that poo poo without flaunting (often inadequate) laws and being a raging rear end in a top hat.

The fact is that renting is a necessity. I have been posted on projects overseas and throughout the states and it is great to show up and get an apartment for a year or two and then move on without a care in the world.

Also, there is a guide dog in my household and can attest to everyone that coops and their boards can suck my whole dick.

The first page is about how lovely section 8 renters are and how it's good to fine your tenants for turning on the heat. You might be one of the good ones but the majority of landlords are trash who see people as an open wallet.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hey, my friend lost their job due to a panic attack. They gave their landlord a heads up so they would work out how to pay rent while they're job searching and the landlord is just evicting them instead. Anyone got good advice on how to keep them from becoming homeless and peg that leech to the wall? They live in Maine.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

have they missed a rent payment already, and are they likely to miss the next one? presumably they have a written lease with termination clauses - would they be happy sharing them? glancing around with maine they have to specify the termination reason, but if they've already missed a payment and the landlord isn't complying with good faith repayment plans the situation doesn't look good

Nope, they have not missed one yet. I don't know the lease terms but my understanding is that they warned ahead of time that they wouldn't be able to make rent for July and the landlord said he was going to start drafting the eviction notice instead of any sort of repayment plan. I don't believe it's rent controlled.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cool, I also found some good Maine resources that outlined the process and how going to court works. I think I'm going to encourage them to let it go to court if only because it will give them more time in their current place while they try to figure out something new. It also looks like if they can get the money together by the 14th they would be able to stay, I know Maine requires 7 days past due before notice can be given and if they go with a 7 day notice it becomes void if the rent is payed in those 7 days. You guys at least made me feel better about the advice I'm giving them and what I've been finding online.

Edit: Getting banned for making GBS threads in the landlord thread is good praxis but so is taking it over for advice on how to dodge landlords.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 24, 2019

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Wow I literally edited that a second after I posted it you must just be F5ing over there.

The point was that if you locked the thread due to it being a pain in the rear end to moderate but then unlocked it without changing anything about why it was a pain in the rear end... then it is just going to be another pain in the rear end (as shown already given that you have to hand out numerous probations) and you've solved nothing for yourself.

The position of "it is legal so it is fine to talk about" is kind of silly anyway considering the rest of the subforums operate on "don't be a dick" just fine. Saying that people are free to discuss how to discriminate against the poor just because hey it isn't illegal is some lol poo poo and you can't be surprised if the response isn't good.

Don't be a dick and generating a profit from owning housing are mutually exclusive.

Thanks for the unemployment advice, lamprey. I'm also digging into what rent assistance programs are available to them too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Simpsons Reference posted:

If that's how you would like to interpret it, sure.

The response you're looking for is "yes"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Droo posted:

You have to admit that's it's pretty unfair how it's illegal for people to own their own houses, forcing them to deal with crappy landlords

Aww poo poo dude you figured it out. I'll let my friend know to just buy a house. No problem being unemployed if you just buy a house.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Droo posted:

In that case I suggest he find a job first, there are several helpful BFC threads geared towards that

Really she needs mental health help first, she's not in a place where she can hold down a job. But this is America so we'll see how that works out. But thanks for your made up empathy, I know its the only kind of empathy people like you can feel.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ruzihm posted:

Hello fellow landlords, got a landlording question here.

Hypothetically if a monthly $1000 ubi were established tomorrow, how would you change the rent for your next leases? What if you knew your competitors were raising theirs by $900 with no loss of occupancy?

Thanks for answering my landlording question landlord buddies :)

*a gigantic wire & antenna is obviously bulging from the back of my collar*

Haha I'd reinvest my ubi into their housing without raising the rent. *gives you the secret landlord salute that looks a lot like a hail hitler but is just a roman salute and very not racist*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm starting to think we're the idiots for expecting a subforum who's most popular thread is just attacking and mocking a man for having some sort of horrible self-control problem to be better than that.