Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HistoryMiss
Mar 7, 2012

I'm a small landlord in the UK. I fell into it accidentally. Do not do this. I rented to friends. Do not do this either. I have been far luckier than I had any right to be! Take the long view and think very carefully before allowing pets. My tenant moved out after 7 years and ... stinky. I knew I'd have to redecorate anyway but, yeah, cats, dogs, pet rats and rabbits. That hair gets embedded into things, I swear. Not to mention the poo poo in the garden.

Got a new tenant now, through an agency, and she is young - straight out of mummy and daddy's house - so she expects everything to be perfect straightaway, and worries about noises, lights, and gently caress knows. The toilet cistern makes a hissing noise when flushing. She worries about this. And so on.

So anyone want to ask about renting out in the UK, fire away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HistoryMiss
Mar 7, 2012

spog posted:

I'm interested.

Especially whether it is worth using an estate agent to handle tenants, or do it yourself.

Well my first tenants were done myself. This ONLY worked because they were cool as gently caress and didn't mind that I let them get on with it. I live 200 miles away from the property. I let them have pets, smoke, whatever. When anything broke they just got on and fixed it, and phoned me up later to tell me. They replaced the shower and redecorated because they lived there 7 years and just accepted that it was their responsibility. I was VERY lucky.

Now I have gone fully-managed with a well-known national UK estate agents and they are a barrel of money grabbing cocksucking arseholes. In my opinion. They seem to charge me and the tenant for the same stuff, and their 24-hour helpline was actually "accidentally" turned off over the bank holiday. I was going to get out of the fully managed thing because I would rather deal with my tenant direct but then I would not qualify for their 100% rent indemnity insurance. I suppose I could shop around and get it independently but I have not had time. I ended up with these cowboys because I needed to get a tenant in quickly and they had dealt with my house sale. In hindsight I WISH I had shopped around a lot more and found better agents.