Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So I've begun to catch the landlord bug.
I purchased my first home which had an attic apartment with a separate entrance a little over a year ago. I did a few short term leases to see if my wife and I were cool with someone living above us, sharing our driveway, etc. My wife does a lot of interviewing for her work and she has an amazing knack at picking people out. All the tenants have been perfect, and we've had 24-48 hour turn arounds from end of lease to the person signing the next one. We just had a longer term tenant sign up, as we're pretty sure we're fine with it until we need the extra space. As a percentage of the house value based on square footage, we're rocking 4% monthly rent. It's been all sunshine and loving rainbows so far.

So we're looking to buy a single family home. Since we just bought our house and we've been putting all the rent money into restoring our house (cool old victorian) we don't have a ton of capital that's not earmarked for retirement or my stock portfolio. But I found a few homes that are nearby us and are in the Fannie Mae Homepath Renovation program. From what I gather, I'm looking at a 15% down payment as an investor (and you can get up to 35k to do some renos). Super long background story is irrelevant, but does anyone have any experience with getting a Fannie Mae Homepath loan/going through the process?

E: Details: The property is listed for 42k, and I'd probably want to take 10k in addition to that to make it less slummy

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Cranbe posted:

[*]Would need to account for the taxes on the rent paid to me

Also, anybody have any thoughts on how this would affect the mortgage process? Lastly, would that change the classification of the property for income tax and property tax purposes? (Denver CO if that matters.)

First the mortgage process: Your bank doesn't need to know that you plan on renting portions of your house out. Consult your RE attorney, but you're not going to commit mortgage fraud by not telling them of your plans. As long as you're occupying the house, they won't be able to call the loan.

Second the Tax bit: This is the best part. Owner occupied income properties have enormous tax advantages, they're absolutely amazing here. For the personal part of your return, as I'm sure you're aware, you can deduct property/schools, mortgage interest, and certain acquisition costs. However, you don't want to deduct 100% of these costs on your Schedule A. You just want to deduct the prorated portion of your personal space. Let's use an example where you have a 2 bedroom house and you decide to rent one of the bedrooms out. To make things easy, all the bedrooms are 250 sq ft and your house is 2000 sq ft (500 sq ft of bedroom and 1500 sq ft of common areas, kitchen, family room, etc). Your personal portion of the house is the 250 sq ft of bedroom you occupy PLUS half of the common areas, so 50% overall of all those expenses would go on your Schedule A, and the other 50% would be deducted as a business.

Now since 50% of your property is business property, you can deduct depreciation on that. Here is where the real magic that only owner occupied investors can really get. Let's say you decide you want a nice 60" TV and a big leather couch to put in your common area (not your bedroom) because you want to have a super bowl party. This is a personal use asset that you would buy even if you didn't have a tenant and you wouldn't be able to depreciate it, right? Incorrect. Since it's being placed in a location that the potential tenant could use, you can also depreciate the 50% that's business. Any capital additions or repairs done in the common spaces (which benefit you at least as much as your tenant) are going to be deductible at the percentage of your property that's business use.

If you plan on making home improvements or furnishing your house, you should be able to generate a tax loss for at least the first few years. There will be some slightly more complex tax calculations if you decide you want to keep the rest of the house to yourself down the line (potential for Section 1250 Depreciation Recapture) but TVM make those all pretty moot.

Speaking of enjoying the tax benefits on a rental property, has anyone done a cost segregation study on their rental properties? If you're not buying an apartment building it probably doesn't make sense to hire a CPA to do it for you, but if you can do it yourself you can accelerate a ton of the depreciation on your rental properties. I'm doing one right now for mine, and while I've done a few at work for clients, I think it's fairly simple to do. And since it's only a timing difference, it's fairly low on the IRS audit tier.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So I looked at some properties today and I'm in a weird spot.

The home values are 35k, I need about 7k worth of materials and hiring a plumber to run laundry hookups.

The area is weird. It's a bit slummy, but not too bad. There are so many foreclosures that the prices are absurdly low. And a decently renovated place rents for $1k a month.

So here's my weird position. I need 42k in cash to buy the house and renovate. I can get a home equity loan for about 35 and pay out of pocket for the rest. It's a Fannie Mae homepath, however, and they'll give you a loan for a reno plus the house for 15% or so down. But, no bank will issue Homepath reno loans for sub 50k, at least that I've found.

So anyone know of a solution besides suck it up and do the HEL plus out of pocket cash?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zero VGS posted:

Do the HELOC and cash. It's way less trouble. You don't have to suck an underwriter's dick with mountains of paperwork to get a mortgage, you save a few thousand on closing fees, and you can usually negotiate a slightly better price because the sellers and bank know how much less of a hassle it will be. I just did the same thing to buy my second apartment, I closed a week ago and started renting yesterday. Now I'm getting a HELOC on this one that can almost pay for the next. I'm just daisy-chaining HELOCs to keep buying apartments in this building if it keeps working out.

Yeah, you're right. Plus if I pay cash I can put the property in a trust for asset shielding purposes.

Beneficiary of the trust would be an LLC, which I would be the sole owner of. Anyone want me to make an effort post about this?

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 3, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
:siren:Shielding Assets: It's something the extremely wealthy do and something you as a rental property owner should do too*:siren:

*I am not an attorney and nothing below should constitute legal or tax advice. Please consult your attorney before employing any of the below strategies (you'll pretty much have to anyway)

First: Why should you do it?

Let's say you own 2 rental properties, you're not Donald Trump, but you've got some serious assets. On one of your rental properties, a tenant falls down the stairs and decides to sue the poo poo out of you.
You're protected with an LLC, right? The tenant can't come after any of your assets outside of it, right? Nope. The corporate veil is pretty easy to pierce, especially if your tenant's attorney can prove negligence on your behalf. Stairs were 1/10" too short or too tall for code, carpet was slightly loose, whatever. So back to the tenant, he hobbles on in to an ambulance chaser's office and says that he wants to sue for a million dollars because his leg is broken and it hurts so bad. People in this position mostly are going to use an attorney who works on a contingent fee. So the attorney will run a title search on you, and BAM 2 rental properties and your primary residence show up. He sees that you have money, so he'll take the case! Now you're hosed.

If, however you shielded your rental properties (and even your primary residence) the title search will yield zilch, maybe your car (depending on the state and how thorough the attorney is) The attorney thinks you're poor, thinks that you don't even own the tenant's apartment and sends the tenant packing. If he's not going to be able to recover a lot of assets from you, he's not going to take the case for 35% of a few thousand dollars.

This scenario also applies to anyone in your life that may want to sue you, but this will NOT work if you're trying to hide your assets from someone that knows you.
Your bitter soon to be ex-wife, a business partner, etc are all going to be able to figure out your full portfolio of assets relatively easily, since they know where to look, and they'd get it all in discovery and subpoenas anyway.

Okay sounds great: How do I do it?
Trusts are great. They're the primary step. This varies on a state by state basis (and you can get trusts in another state, Nevada is popular for this) but the beneficiary of a trust is impossible to find out without a court order. I would have an attorney set up the trust, tell you what type of trust you need exactly for your estate planning and tax circumstances, and he'll be the trustee.
Who/what exactly do you make the beneficiary?

If you bought the house in cash, it's easy. Make it an LLC/an LLP(if you have partners)/S Corp/whatever works out best for your business case, but don't be the beneficiary of the trust, you do want the corporate veil.

If you used a mortgage to buy the house, your mortgage almost surely has a due on sale clause, which would trigger if you put the house's name in an LLC or almost any vehicle other than your name. However, the due on sale clause is NOT triggered by actions for estate planning purposes. You can tell your bank you are putting the house in an trust for estate planning purposes, but you'll have to be the beneficiary, you can't have an LLC be the beneficiary.

Great! I just put all my investment properties in the Bloody Queef Trust, and the Beneficiary for each one is Bloody Queef, LLC! Anyone with moderate intelligence will be able to figure out who is the owner of the property.

Here's were more strategy comes in. You don't want anyone thinking a business owns since they'll think the business has a lot of money, so Main Street Ventures Trust with a beneficiary of Main Street Ventures, LLC is out. But as above, you can't name it in your name, because that would ruin the whole exercise. So you can use a fictitious name (Ronald J McHengenberger Trust) or even better, the name of the person that was the previous owner of the house! Sounds kind of lovely, and it might be. But if someone is looking at your property's records, they'll see that Jim Smith bought the house 10 years ago, it was bought by some dude, and a day later is now in the Jim Smith Trust. They'll assume it was some kind of complex transaction and think that Jim Smith owns the house. They won't look too closely at the owner for one day, assuming he was an intermediary.

In order to keep this up, you're going to have to tell your tenants that you're the property manager, not the owner (which is technically true, because the trust owns the house) Keep each property in a separate trust and LLC as well. This probably doesn't make a ton of sense if you're only going to get a property or two. Note, you probably will not have to file a different return for each trust and LLC, they'll most likely be treated as disregarded entities for tax purposes. Please consult your accountant on this.

E: Ask any questions below and I can update the post to clarify things. I'll update the post to make it make sense if it doesn't.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 3, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

DNova posted:

If what you're saying is all accurate, then what's the point of the LLC being designated the beneficiary? If a court ordered is made to reveal the beneficiary of the trust, and it comes back as the LLC, finding the owner of the LLC is at that point trivial, is it not? So why not just skip that step and make yourself the beneficiary?

I suppose the answer would be so that you can have one LLC per property, but I don't know, this all seems very easy to get around if you are sued by a competent lawyer.

The point of making the LLC the beneficiary is that if you do get sued for something not negligence related, it still limits your liability to that which is inside the LLC.

And yes, 1 LLC per property is absolutely key. You want to keep your assets as separate as possible.

None of this will do a thing if you're actually sued! This prevents people from thinking you have a lot of assets so it won't be worth their time to take a case suing you. To protect you if you're actually sued, you need an umbrella policy, but I thought that kind of went without saying.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

lostleaf posted:

Isn't the trust redundant though? In certain states(Nevada for example), you don't have to specify the owner or owners when submitting the application for incorporation. That means there is no official state record of ownership and the only way an attorney will be able to obtain your name is with a court order. You still get the limited liability without additional overhead of setting up a trust.

Nevada LLC have other advantages in that there is no yearly maintenance fee and there is also no state income tax. It's a one time setup fee(forgot how much it was but I remember to be negligible).

You can change the beneficiary of a trust without it being a sale, so you can change around ownership of the property with just a call to your trustee. Some states charge a tax when a home is sold or transferred. This can also be advantageous for actual estate planning purposes (it'll skip probate, doesn't need to be in your will, etc), or if you need to change corporate ownership. Some of these you also can do with an LLC.

But I also personally think someone is more likely to target an LLC than a trust, and more layers mean more work for the plaintiff's lawyers, which is always good.

E: and doesn't a Nevada LLC require you have a place of business in Nevada? I couldn't find anything in a cursory search. Of course there are places where you can pay a fee to have a "place of business" there, but that would kill any lack of yearly registration fees.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 3, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

DNova posted:

Sorry if I'm being dense here but why not just rely on the umbrella policy?

If you have a property under an LLC, do you have any filing obligations with the IRS or is it -for sure- a disregarded entity? What happens if you want to pull out some equity? Or sell it? It gets really confusing to me really quickly when it comes to having assets under complex arrangements, and I would really like to get a better handle on it.

Does Nevada have a registered agent requirement for LLCs (to accept service)? Missouri does, and such services can cost over $100/yr/entity.

How do finances work? Do I have to keep separate business accounts under the each LLC's name in order to pay for services (landscaping, utilities, etc)? How do I account for adding cash or pulling cash out of the LLC's bank account?

I have many more questions I can't remember just now.

You can rely on insurance, but it's not exactly fun to go through a lawsuit, regardless of whether or not you'll have to pay up, and I imagine your umbrella policy premiums will go crazy through the roof if one happens.

Single Member LLCs are by definition disregarded entities with the IRS. http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Single-Member-Limited-Liability-Companies
Your state, however, is a different matter. I can find out specifically for your state if you want, but many states comply with the IRS in this regard. My home state, Delaware, does, so I don't worry about it too much. In terms of paying bills: This can all be done under your name, or the business name if it's a disregarded entity. With a sale, you get the cash. I'm not sure how this would work if you wanted to do a Home Equity Loan on the house, but worst case scenario, if you can't get one with an LLC (or trust) being the recorded owner, just transfer the property into your name.

Registered agent business: Not sure about this, I happen to live in Delaware, so use Delaware LLCs and don't need a registered agent.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Four Finger Wu posted:

What I can also say is that owning properties in an LLC is a big hassle when it comes to getting loans. If you are planning to buy and hold all cash, then this does not apply, but in my opinion one of the major assets of investing in real estate is the ability to leverage it with financing. So, my experience with financing is that #1 I was not able to get a conventional agency (Fannie/Freddie) loan on a residential property if it was held in an LLC, and #2 for commercial properties, if the LLC is obtaining the loan, then the principal owners have to guarantee the loan. Even for "non-recourse" loans, I have always been asked to personally sign "bad boy" or carveout guarantees.

tl;dr: unless you want to make sure your name is not associated with that particular property for personal reasons, I think it's much easier to just buy it in your own name and pay a few hundred dollars a year for a huge umbrella policy.
Yes, holding a property in a trust or LLC is going to make financing difficult /impossible.

As for the trustee bit. Use your Real Estate attorney, this is very common and an attorney will be the best trustee.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zero VGS posted:

I can (and would) tell a family there is lead paint, I'm required to disclose that. But then the govt says they can't legally be there, but I can't legally refuse to let them be there or even hint for them to look elsewhere. It's a wacky conflict that has never been reconciled.

Which state says that families can't be there?

I just put the lead paint disclosure saying that there might be lead paint, but I don't know and then the info packet about lead paint.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Can anyone speak to the unique differences between managing a multi family property versus a SFH?

I'm running numbers on a pretty distressed triplex, and the comps I see seem too good to be true. Like 3-4% of the purchase price plus repairs in total monthly rents.

Are the problems just dealing with the tenants maybe not getting along? Noisy upstairs tenant, whiney downstairs one?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

KaiserBen posted:

It's mostly that you'll have more turnover (people see apartments as a place to live, where a house is "home"), and possible tenant conflicts (though I've found those are pretty rare). A lot of 2/3/4 unit properties in older areas are shoddy conversions from single family houses, and that can cause some major issues WRT permits and construction quality when you go to fix something.

That said, 3-4%/month!? Where is this place?

I posted this when I was looking at just numbers, but just the purchase price and rental income don't tell the story. I actually did a walk through and found out the previous owner was a straight up slum lord. Roaches everywhere, holes big enough to fall through in the floor/ceiling between units, water damage everywhere. I like the location, but I don't have the cash to gut it and fix it, and I'm not going to keep the current situation as is and just rake in the cash.

The numbers are even better now as the price dropped. Triplex is $49,000 and monthly rents are $2150.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

KaiserBen posted:

That's a ridiculously good price:rent ratio, even if the condition is crappy. I couldn't buy the land for a building like that at that price here (DC area), much less a building. Even the crack-den slumlord specials here are more like 2%, and that's with all utilities paid by the landlord.

Yeah. The numbers are great. Rent is way out of wack with property values in the Philly metro area and even more so in Wilmington, DE (where the slumlord triplex is)

I've thought about buying it with an investor who would be willing to dump the purchase price and 100k in renovations, but I just can't justify the cash flow hit for myself. I can do almost three single families in a nicer area with less work to be done for that amount of cheddar.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
In the interest of keeping this thread alive, I figured I'd share an update on my rental property business. I just had my offer on a sweet 3br 1.5ba row home right in the heart of a downtown office business district accepted for 40% less than the original listing price.
Listed for 130, seller is in a nursing home and running out of money, dropped to 98 for a quick sale and accepted my offer of 80!

With a little (sub 3k worth) of floor refinishing, paint and polish I'm fairly certain I can get 1200 a month in rent as a residence. It's also zoned for dual use and I'm hoping to find someone who would use the downstairs as an office and upstairs as a residence for maybe 1,300.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

baquerd posted:

I mean, great deal, but you basically just robbed a desperate old lady.

I didn't know his situation when I offered 80 on it, just found out after. And he had an attorney advising and representing. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 15, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

pac man frogs posted:

That's pretty good, 1.4% on rent of purchase + rehab. Nice one. How did you purchase, cash outright or financing?

Missed this at first sorry. I'm going financing because I'm trying to pick up 1 or 2 more properties by year end so it'll be nice to have the cash for that. With mortgage rates so low, leveraging is a good strategy for me.

Fake edit: double post. Had phone posting issues.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

poopinmymouth posted:

We will be taking over their loan

Is this common in Iceland? This was huge in the US in the 80s when mortgage rates shot up and banks really cracked down on this by putting due on sale clauses in their paperwork. They got burned by having non vetted buyers not making them mortgage payments.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

SpclKen posted:

So I haven't posted in here, but I thought since the thread is slowing down and I enjoy it. I will share my landlord by accident story.

I graduated college in 2004 with no debt. I got a moderately paying job in Los Angeles, and was still living with college buddies in a cheap house. After 6 months of spending way too much in discretionary spending I decided to look for a job in my home town (Bakersfield ca) and put money down on a new development there.

Things worked out well, new job, secured a lot in a very nice master planned community in the first phase of development. Secured a loan for $200,000 in addition to my 40,000 down payment (2nd loan from family). First loan was a 5 year ARM at 5.5%.
This was a hugely risky thing to do as a young kid a year out of college, but I figured that the roommates and the forded saving of a mortgage and 2nd would be like a forced savings plan.
My job moved me in 07, and I have rented since then. I was not able to sell since 2008 and the market crashed. I have been extremely lucky in several areas. I have had only 1 month of vacancy since it became a rental in 2007. My ARM has decreased every year and I just got the notice yesterday that I have a 2.75% interest rate for the upcoming year. I have had to do repairs/painting/cleaning for around $1,000 a year. I have family in the area that keeps a good eye on the house.
I would not recommend anyone doing what I did. I am aggressively paying off the mortgage and am now down to only $130,000. I just secured a new renter on a 2 year term and am $300 a month cash flow positive which is enough to cover repairs. I would have sold the house last year when prices finally rebounded, but with the low interest rate I decided to continue renting.

Being a long distance landlord is not a good thing, but I have been very fortunate. Without family in the area and the rental being in a highly desired gates community, it could have been a disaster and I could have lost a significant amount of money. I would be very happy to answer questions, but I honestly think I am more of something to avoid doing even though everything worked out well.

Do you have a property manager? $300 in positive cash flow a month seems very low on a house valued around (I'm assuming based on your other stuff) at least 300k

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Dead Pressed posted:

How do you guys feel about investing in real estate vs. traditional retirement investing accounts? Those of you voluntarily invested in real estate, are you maxing retirement accounts before getting into these taxable income streams?

My wife and I are super interested in real estate, and invest a good portion of our incomes into tax advantaged accounts, maxing our Roths, maxing 401k matches (3 percent for her, 4 percent for 5 on mine, and an additional 2 percent on my account). It seems to me, the more research I do, that about 10 percent returns may be a fair expectation for returns over the long run in real estate, which IS pretty good compared to historical/expected stock returns, and I guess I'm just kind of torn on the advantage of the retirement accounts and diversification opportunities.

On the other hand, we are making a killing on airbnb on our primary home (thread in travel subforum, link in title under avatar), I'd like to diversify my daily income with the potential to be my own boss full time in the future, and feel like I have the ability, skill, and knowledge necessary to DEVELOP into a good landlord.

Thread has been helpful, so thanks for that. I'm reading a few property investing guides, and any additional recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Any specific chat about returns is going to be insanely region and market dependent, but I've been getting well north of 25% returns just on a cash on cash basis with financing properties

Basically I am recouping my down payment, closing costs, and reno expenses in just over three years. Now the market where I am is insanely landlord friendly. Housing prices are still way down due to a crazy amount of foreclosures still on the market, but rental prices have shot back up to pre to mid bubble levels.

My wife and my plan is one more property a year the next five years, then two a year the next five years after that and then from there either quit my full time job and be full time landlords or dial back the acquisition rate and hire a property manager while still working.

Huge caveat, children have not yet, but will enter the picture, and I'm certain that will savage those glorious plans of retirement by 40.

E: didn't post about retirement funds. I get 11.5% of my income in a 401k through work (6% my own, rest employers) But this isn't maxing the 401k out. I throw 10% of my take home from my job into a taxable investment account and 10% of all proceeds from rentals into the same account. At the end of each year, I figure out if I want to reinvest personal assets into the rental business and then max out the IRA with the remaining funds with the remainder staying in the taxable. The 90% of proceeds from the rentals stay with the business for new acquisitions.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 7, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Tricky Ed posted:

bad housing crash could leave you in a position where you literally can't sell due to being underwater.

This is really important and shouldn't be ignored. Know how much your local market tanked in the most recent housing crisis. Some areas were barely effected, some lost half or more of their value. If I was doing income properties in Arizona, I would only buy with cash. I'm in the northeast where markets went up 10-15% during the bubble and then dropped about the same amount. So if I'm insistent on getting a loan, I do 20% down 15 year, so I'd very quickly be in a crash resistant equity position.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

particle409 posted:

I need help with management software and collecting rent. I currently use LandlordMax, which is ok for tracking and bookkeeping. I have about 20 units, spread over 3 different properties in Yonkers and the Bronx. Most of my tenants don't have internet access or even checking accounts. They prefer to pay cash (which I stopped accepting) or with money orders. I use a management company, but they're doing a subpar job. Collecting rent is awful, just because none of my tenants are home at the same time. I would spend my entire week driving around just to meet tenants to pick up rent.

Question: What's the best system to mail self-addressed envelopes to my tenants, telling them what they owe? If they can just drop it in the mail, that'd be fantastic, and I'd just need to meet a few who don't for whatever reason. None of the management systems I've seen can do that.

edit: Didn't we used to be able to bookmark threads?

What % is your property management company charging? Unless you're getting some kind of stellar deal, it might be time to look around. With 20 units you may even be able to hire someone part time.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

n8r posted:

Years ago I had a place where I could drop off an envelope into the landlord's locked mailbox. I think the reason you are having huge hassles with picking up the rent is because you are picking up the rent. Set a policy that rent checks need to be mailed by X date, no cash (even though it's surprisingly rare cash gets stolen out of the mail) and if they don't, follow your late rent procedures as set out in your rental agreements. People will follow the rules as long as you make it a firm rule and follow your rental agreements.

Did you read his post where he stated that his tenants typically don't have internet or checking accounts? He's kind of dealing with a different situation then is common.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Harry posted:

This is actually unbelievably common. Even at nice properties, it's rare to have lower than 20% of the people living there paying by money orders.

I wasn't referring to their lack of access to checks, more the type of person who wouldn't have a checking account also wouldn't be the type to pay rent on time without prompting.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

CatchrNdRy posted:

I've been trying to advertise my rental on craigslist (the POS management company I use does not advertise on craigslist for some reason).

I use "renew" and I don't see my listing at the top. It should be at top if i check 5 seconds later?
I delete and use "repost" and I don't see it at the top either.

The only way I can see it at the top, is if I delete it completely and then repost it. Is that the only way?

Renewing a post doesn't happen instantly for me, usually an hour or so.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

ShaqDiesel posted:

What is the most effective means of advertising an open rental unit these days? I've had pretty good luck keeping the small number of units I have occupied but now I have an opening and I feel like putting ads in the newspaper is bush league these days (especially our dinglef*ck local paper).

I have only had success with craigslist. I just keep the ad up in the top by reposting and I've always had tons of respondents. I'm sure that my pool is being limited to 20-35 year olds or tech savvy older folks, which doesn't match the demographics of the area well, but it's worked so far.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

ShaqDiesel posted:

I'm considering selling a property due to lack of profitability and wondered what you guys think. Some monthly numbers:

Property tax 69
Insurance 19
Utilities 70
Mortgage 261 (I owe about $18 K outright currently and could pay it off in about 10 years)
Vacancy 10% 40*
Repairs 5% 20*

Total expenses 479

* Standard percentages I found online.

I think I could charge upwards of $500/month rent but I don't think much more in the area. It's a small single unit home with two bedrooms (one is very small though) and one bath.

So right now I can either sell it and make a small profit (which could possibly be spent on a more worthwhile property) or tough it out until house is paid off. Your thoughts?

How much do you think you could sell it for? The economics of that property are pretty lovely from a rental perspective.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Azur posted:

Run your numbers again. This time split your mortgage payment into two, interest payment and principal payment. Interest payment goes to costs, equity payments go under profit.
Just because investment property isnt producing much cashflow, doesn't mean it can't provide a solid return.

Also, how much capital did you put in to this property? Whats the ROI on that? Instead if completely selling, is it possible to take out a equity loan and use those funds to help finance the next property? That way you can increase the ROI on this one and still have extra funds for the next investment.

Yeah, something feels very odd about those numbers. What did you put down and what was the purchase price. You're way over the 1% of purchase price in monthly rent line. Which, as you probably know, it's used as a quick back of napkin calculation with assumptions that most things like vacancy and maintenance are average.

E: are you on a 10 year mortgage? I just bought a house with similar monthly expenses ($85 more) and purchase price was 80k and I put 20% down. A tenant in one of my other properties wants to upgrade from her studio and is down with the $1200 number I threw out when she inquired about it. Motivation to get the new carpet in and finish the wd hookups.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 15, 2014

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

you ate my cat posted:

I've been living in the same rental for about 8 years now, and while it's a very nice place it's getting to the point where it no longer suits my needs. My work situation has finally become stable as well, so I'm starting to think about moving again. I'm also starting to run the numbers on buying vs renting.

One thing I'm considering is buying a duplex, living in half, and renting the other half. I feel like on one hand, it has the best of both worlds going on - you own the property, but (in theory) someone else is paying some/all of your mortgage. On the other hand, it's the worst of both worlds - you have a lovely neighbor AND a mortgage all in one package.

Anyone ever do this, or have thoughts on this? I know better than to over-buy and rely on the rent in order to afford payments, at least.

I have a studio apartment with a separate entrance in the attic of my house. It got me hooked on being a landlord. The apartment is 650 sq ft and the portion of the house I live in is 2k sq ft

Great advantage is that your mortgage rate will be good, and you don't need to do 20% down. You can even do FHA. I did 20% down conventional anyway. Just make sure you can afford the mortgage payment if you don't have a tenant in place. If you screen your tenants really well it works out great. As a renter, you can't pick your neighbors. In this particular apartment I probably wind up passing on four potential tenants for every one that I choose to sign the lease. Be VERY picky. They're basically almost a roommate so screen accordingly.

My advice overall is to tell the tenant you manage the property for the owner (not technically a lie)

I'll give you the financial breakdown of my house. Bought for 215k, 20% down. Mortgage, insurance and taxes sum up to 1065 a month. I get 800 a month for the apartment and I include cable, WiFi, and all utilities. I've noticed $50-75 a month jump in electricity. I'd get 1500-2000 if I rented out the portion I live in. In fact once I need more space, I'll buy a new house and rent my portion out. Magical loving numbers, yes. And if I could get deals that good all the time, I'd leverage myself to my eyeballs and quit my job.

Let me know what specific advice you need. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep your details private.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Pompous Rhombus posted:

How does one cover one's rear end from a discrimination suit during that process?

Don't reject someone because they're black? Or if you do, don't tell them thats why?

But seriously if you have multiple people looking, you're going to have many legal, non discriminatory reasons reasons why each applicant that you reject isn't as good as the one you pick.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

There's an FHA exemption for owners who live in a 4-plex or smaller building.
Is that so? Do you have a link to that exemption?

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Claverjoe posted:

Location is downtown, really close to my work, I do enjoy renovation work (and I love old houses), it's something to do while I'm new in town building up a social circle and trying to avoid missing my fiancee since she is finishing up her research work in Dallas and can't come here to write her dissertation yet. And I'm going to negotiate a bit off my rent, the question is "how much", since I literally don't know anything on the pricing of renovation work, I only know the "how to do it" part.

Get a contractor to come out and give you an estimate and provide the landlord with that estimate. Then ask what he thinks is fair for the work based on that estimate.

I've never allowed a tenant do work on one of my places, but I've had many applicants say they'd do work for reduced rent. Sorry, I just want someone licensed and bonded in case something was hosed up.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Dragyn posted:

:words: about a future nightmare tenant

Was it really hard to find this tenant? Even if it meant sitting on the unit for another month, I'd tell the Woman no deal.

You'll lose a lot more than a month of rent if you have to evict her, her daughter, her daughters fiance, etc.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Tricky Ed posted:

So... newbie question. I'm looking at buying properties at a distance, because I can't afford any rental properties in California, and I know/have family in the area where I'm looking. Currently I have a choice of the following:

Property A is a single family home in an upscale new(ish) development. It is 10 years old, has a good rental history, and would need under $1000 to fix a couple of trim problems before renting it again, but it's currently vacant.
Properties B are two duplexes in an old area of town. They were built in 1967 and haven't had anything substantial done to them since. They have solid rental histories and the newest tenant has been there for 5 years. They are structurally sound but cosmetically terrible, and I would conservatively estimate about $20,000 per unit to modernize them.

Property A costs about 20% more than Properties B, and they rent for the same money, total. I have enough cash to put down 20% on either. Property A will appreciate more, but I'm more likely to eat a few months between tenants. I feel terrible about the conditions in properties B, and there isn't a lot of room in that market for rents to grow, even with full renovations. If one of the four units is vacant for a quarter, though, the other three will still cover expenses.

The two landlords I've talked to say to go for the duplexes, but other people I've talked to think the single house will be less hassle over time. What are the pros and cons I'm missing here?

You haven't evaluated the issues with property management from a distance. I'm phone posting so it'll be brief, but you seriously need to look into this aspect.

Your property management company takes a month rent up front and 10% of gross rent. (probably the lovely price you'll pay with only one unit) If they choose a lovely tenant, you suffer the repercussions and they don't. Worst case for them is losing a client. Worst case for you is a destroyed property and several months of lost rent or worse. Unless you want to fly in and screen every tenant?

Property management companies drive out most of your profit and are generally only worth it if you can personally screen your tenants and you don't want to handle those 3AM lockout calls.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

EB Nulshit posted:

So how bad of an idea is it to own rental property in an area you don't live in? Is better if you've lived in that area, or at least that state before, or is still pretty much a foolish thing to do?

I honestly feel that it's a pretty foolish idea. Partly due to the fact that not living there means you probably don't know the area well enough to make a decision about the purchase of the property. I posted about this a little earlier in the thread, but I feel that management companies make SFH/triplex or smaller investment properties unprofitable. Different management companies do fees differently, but generally when they place a tenant for you, you pay a flat fee sometimes up to a month. Then after this, they are going to take up to 10% of monthly rents. For all that money, they do the work for you, but take on none of the risk. If they place a tenant with you that pees all over every carpet, smears his poo on the walls and costs you several grand in lost rents and damages. The worst they get is fired. So it's in their best interest to place a lackluster tenant quickly, rather than search around for a spectacular tenant.

I will use one of my properties as an example:

It's a 2br/1ba row home and cost about 80k. I took a mortgage for this with 20% down and my property tax, insurance, and mortgage payment totals up to roughly $500 a month. Rents are $1200 a month. (This is a sweet spot in the market and I don't have many of these, but this is my best money maker property) Let's say that Property Management, Inc places me the perfect tenant. Said tenant stays for exactly 12 months and causes no headaches, no damages on moving out. They did exactly the job I hired them to do, it's the best scenario (except perhaps the tenant staying longer).

Over the course of the year:
Rental Revenue = 15,600
Management Place Fee = (1,200)
Monthly Management Fees = (1,440)
Mortgage/Insurance/Taxes = (6,000)
On a property that inexpensive, I double the usual annual 1.5% of property value for repairs/maintenance to 3% = (2,400)
Net $4,560 on an investment of $20k is pretty solid (25% of total property value for down payment and fixing up costs) 22.8% ROI

While not as good an ROI as self management (36%) this could work. I generally discount principle payments on the loan as I think this can

Now what happens if the tenant that Prop Man, Inc places turns out to be a scumbag and after 9 months of successful rental payments stops paying rent? Say 2 months of lost rent due to eviction proceedings and since we're evicting they decided to trash the place to the tune of $1,500 over and above security deposit and another month of property cleanup and finding the next tenant.

Over the course of the year:
Rental Revenue = 10,800
Management Place Fee = (1,200)
Monthly Management Fees = (1,080)
Mortgage/Insurance/Taxes = (6,000)
Same repair/maintenance since this is for wear and tear stuff= (2,400)
Replacing carpets = (1,500)

Net loss of $1,380

That sucks, but things happen.
Now if you self managed, you'd be able to clear $900. Still an embarrassing profit for all that risk, but you didn't have to tap into personal funds for this property.

Yes I made some assumptions and ignored the court costs of eviction, and that property is a smashing good ROI. But it always seems to me that management companies push investment properties from a good idea as an investment to a questionable one.

E: Those management fees are sky high, but what I've seen if you only have 1 property. Some investors I know with portfolios of 10+ properties seem to pay 1/2 month placement fee and a 6-7% management fee.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

EB Nulshit posted:

So basically, as long as I live in NYC, owning rental property is not feasible so long as my income is due to an ordinary job, since local property would take me a lifetime to afford, and distant property has its own management issues. Thanks!

Depends on where in NYC. I know a guy that lives in North Jersey and train commutes who has investment properties down in Trenton

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

DNova posted:

Thanks. I would obviously give them at least 24 hours of notice, but I didn't know what else to say.

It can sometimes depend on your relationship with the tenants. I had one tenant that basically sold the apartment when an applicant came to look at it. Talked about all the cool things that she liked about it. But it's up to the tenant whether they want to be present or not.

I'll usually do something nice for the tenant if I'm showing it while it's still occupied like drop off flowers or something as a thank you. I lived in an apartment and it loving sucked to have strangers trampling through your space so I can empathize.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

DNova posted:

All of your expenses, basically, plus depreciation. It gets complicated if you want to be sure you're doing everything right. I pay a tax guy.

I missed this back when it was posted, but the Turbo tax version that includes Schedule E income has excellent tools for rental income. It couldn't be easier and does a thorough job of walking you through what to examine. It also tracks depreciation year to year, so once you've entered the asset you're depreciating in, you don't have to worry about it anymore.

The only reason you should hire someone to do taxes for rental properties is if they were in a C corp.

I'm also a tax accountant so you probably shouldn't take my advice. But I do use Turbo Tax because I'd gladly pay the $80 per year to reduce my tax prep time in half during my busiest part of the year.

fishhooked posted:

Just found out today my current tenants are going to stay for another year! This is the first time in 4 tenants that I won't have to flood Hotpads, craigslist, zillow, to fill the vacancy. This is a nice turn of pace with this house as just a few months ago I was replacing the sanitary service to the tune of $2.5k. I know, It could have been worse.

This is the best scenario. Congrats

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I decided to open an umbrella policy as I have been a landlord for a few months now. I want to make sure I have adequate but not excessive coverage. I opened a 1 mil policy to get started and can adjust from there but I was curious if others could comment on their thought process.

I tried opening an umbrella policy, but all the companies wanted 500k (or 3, I forget) insurance limits on all my vehicles. They also demanded everything I had insured be through them. I shopped a lot for all my property insurance, vehicles, etc and was with a different company for all of them. It got prohibitively expensive. Just make sure that you have a good landlord's policy on each rental property and you should be good.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

DNova posted:

I think it's a bad idea to invest all of your savings into a criminal enterprise in a foreign country.

What? Are you seriously referring to airbnb as a criminal enterprise. :cmon:

As to the poster, investing in a real estate market that you have no knowledge of is a terrible idea. Also scroll up a little bit to see my analysis on having a management company do everything for you, this gets even pricier when they know you're international.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

DNova posted:

Yes. What tentish klown is proposing is illegal in the state of New York. It is my opinion that pouring your life savings into an illegal activity is a bad idea.

AirBnB isn't always illegal in NYC. I can't remember the qualifications, but I think it was a week or more and a whole apartment didn't qualify as an illegal hotel.

There's also a possibility for legislation that would make it clearer.

Either way, AirBnB being illegal or not is not why this is a horrible idea. Seriously stick to a location you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

lord1234 posted:

I own a house I am considering renting out. I pay ~1600 a month in PITI on it. Rental value would be ~2200. House value is probably around 230k. House purchase price was 209. I'm right around the 1% mark. Is this a terrible idea?

While on the surface this doesn't seem to be a great rental income equation, anyone giving advice would need a little more info in order to give informed advice. Please note that I am very biased towards rental real estate. If you don't want to disclose any of the answers in the thread that's fine I'll work with whatever you can give. Also feel free to PM me.

Your house purchase price was 209, what is your current equity in your house? And what are your annual insurance and RE taxes?
Based on what's going on nationally with housing prices, it kind of sounds like you bought the house within the last 5 or so years. While this is bad for a personal property, if you're converting this to a rental, look at your return based on your equity, not the total house value. You can also look at not just your cash flow return, but also the increase in equity due to you paying down that mortgage.

What marginal tax bracket (fed and state) are you in this year and foresee being in the next 5 years?
This is also very important. You may very likely have a taxable loss on this rental real estate venture over the next 5 years due to margins not being super high and factoring in actual costs such as repairs and things like depreciation. If you're in the 15% bracket, this loss won't be as useful as if you're in the 39.6% bracket.

What regional market are you in?
If you're in or around a major metro area, properties are generally easier to rent. If you're in rural Wisconsin, you will likely take longer to rent out.

What condition is the house in and what major repairs do you anticipate having in the next 5 years?
If you're going to need big dollar repairs/updates (ie roof, AC, etc) soon, this may be too painful.

Are you planning on managing yourself, or are you having a property management company do that?
This one will greatly affect the do or do not rent one. If you're doing it yourself, the answer will be maybe based on the above. If the answer is you are going to hire a property management company. Scroll up through the thread and read my post about how a property management company can turn a rental property with good to great returns into an overall money loser.

Keisari posted:

To me it seems like there's a lot of capital in one basket. Unless you have many more houses, which I doubt you do, I'd probably just sell the thing for 230k and put it in many blue chip stocks. They probably net you more on the long-term and they're almost 100% hassle-free.
It seems to me like you think he'd be clearing 230k after the sale. If he had 230k of equity in the house, and he could only clear $600 a month in rental income, holy poo poo run. This is obviously not the case as he has a mortgage. Just guessing that he had a 20% down payment and an interest only mortgage (to not muddy the calc with his decrease of mortgage principal) He'd have 42k (209k purchase price * 20%) of equity in the property. If he actually cleared 600 a month, and his equity could be more or less than 42k, but that'd work out to be a 17% return. When he provides more details about his position in the house we can do an actual calculation with good numbers and not back of the napkin stuff, but don't loving make a calc based on property value and not his personal stake in the property. He'd be making a leveraged investment which is riskier, but the return does work out to be good.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Also your insurance is going to go up when you convert to a landlord policy.

Yes, it will definitely go up. However, insurance is so loving hard to predict because the insurance companies have private actuarial tables so insurance may go up a lot, or it may go up a little. If things are shaping out to be pretty good number wise, I'd get a quote. I've considered converting my personal residence into a rental when it's time for me to move out of my starter home (if I do) and insurance goes up like $200 a year. I do, however, have a lot of policies with my insurance company and based on my area insurance is low as poo poo.

poo poo. That was a lot of words for "it depends" I hope you can provide us with numbers like this because I think both you and anyone reading this thread can get some good knowledge if we have good details.