Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
I own a duplex (I live in one unit and rent the other) and a single home both in my small hometown. The duplex has been pretty stress-free (no major repairs, three renters since 1999) but the house has been a pain in the rear end until the most recent renters moved in. The house was kinda run-down when I bought it so it was a struggle to find and/or keep decent renters. However I recently made some improvements to it and now have had consistent occupancy for > 1 year.

As you can see I'm not an expert*, just a casual landlord, but my advice would be to avoid any 'slumlord' type situation (i.e. buying some crap-rear end property in a crap-rear end area and then trying to squeeze some deadbeat for cash every month). Try to offer a product that you yourself would consider.

* Hopefully there are some real experts (people with 50 or more properties, say) responding who can tell you how to make a career of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
What is the most effective means of advertising an open rental unit these days? I've had pretty good luck keeping the small number of units I have occupied but now I have an opening and I feel like putting ads in the newspaper is bush league these days (especially our dinglef*ck local paper).

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
I'm considering selling a property due to lack of profitability and wondered what you guys think. Some monthly numbers:

Property tax 69
Insurance 19
Utilities 70
Mortgage 261 (I owe about $18 K outright currently and could pay it off in about 10 years)
Vacancy 10% 40*
Repairs 5% 20*

Total expenses 479

* Standard percentages I found online.

I think I could charge upwards of $500/month rent but I don't think much more in the area. It's a small single unit home with two bedrooms (one is very small though) and one bath.

So right now I can either sell it and make a small profit (which could possibly be spent on a more worthwhile property) or tough it out until house is paid off. Your thoughts?

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Bloody Queef posted:

How much do you think you could sell it for? The economics of that property are pretty lovely from a rental perspective.

Maybe $35K (local market is cheap anyway and this place, while not a dump, is not really what most families would be looking for). I agree with you re: shittiness - I think multi-unit or higher end single units are the way to go around these parts.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Bloody Queef posted:

Yeah, something feels very odd about those numbers. What did you put down and what was the purchase price. You're way over the 1% of purchase price in monthly rent line. Which, as you probably know, it's used as a quick back of napkin calculation with assumptions that most things like vacancy and maintenance are average.

E: are you on a 10 year mortgage? I just bought a house with similar monthly expenses ($85 more) and purchase price was 80k and I put 20% down. A tenant in one of my other properties wants to upgrade from her studio and is down with the $1200 number I threw out when she inquired about it. Motivation to get the new carpet in and finish the wd hookups.

I put down 2k and the price was 39k (didn't have a lot if cash at the time). I've made some updates - siding for $1500; bath for $3000. Its a 20 year mortgage which I'm ten years into.