Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Rama of Ra posted:

No one else is using it so we’re squatting, duh.

How dare you take food out of the mouths of those hard working landlords

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Droo posted:

Yes... like if a fat guy with no job who lived with his parents was complaining that he couldn't find anyone who wanted to date him everyone would tell him to get a better job, move out and get in shape. "Compete over market share" as you put it.

Please give advice on how to compete in a market where multinational corporations and the idle rich have bought all housing stock and property values start at more than 3.5X my annual income.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Droo posted:

Learn new skills and network to try and improve your income, and move to a lower cost of living area that will provide a better overall quality of life. Now you tell me how rage posting on the internet is going to help you compete in the world we are all stuck in, and essentially powerless to change?

The main problem here seems to be that you all reflexively lash out at anyone who has a practical approach to modern life because you assume they disagree with you. Most BFC people seem generally progressive and liberal and would support more universal healthcare type programs, but we also live in the real world where you need money to buy things.

Mmmm yes, "give up on where you live". I do earn a competitive 6 figure wage, but the housing market is still gamed by jabronis like you lot looking to make a quick buck rather than allow for people to live within their own means. One bed condos go for more then 500K in my area, but that's my fault for living in the wrong place where my job is that I enjoy because it allows me to help people while applying the skills I have learned.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

where do you live that it's only 3.5x? That's pretty good in today's market.

I, admittedly, have a higher than average income, but even then that's 3.5X for, like, 1 bed condos not a single family home.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

then buy a house?

You got ~100K for a down payment unless I want to have a 3K mortgage payment?

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Droo posted:

This thread has averaged less than 1 post per day since it started, I don't really think anyone notices or cares about you guys posting in it.

On an unrelated note I am not a landlord but you all seem like you would be some nightmare tenants, maybe that's why you all have problems with your landlords. Perhaps the landlords in the thread could throw out some helpful tips on how to be a better renter?

I have a good relationship with my landlord and would consider myself a model, low effort tenant. I'll even do repairs myself if I'm reimbursed for parts because it's just faster and I can do simple stuff myself. Doesn't change the fact that he's a leech on my life.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Fun to see the most guillotine-able thread trying to rev back up.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

The response you're looking for is "yes"

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Droo posted:

In that case I suggest he find a job first, there are several helpful BFC threads geared towards that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT4vhl8slbE

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

For real though having a conversation about the abuse inherent in the landlord-tenant relationship is important. There seems to be this disconnect between the societal violence that landlords inflict on their tenants, especially when they're advocating for and participating in institutions and structures that are quasi-legal, and highly immoral, and the plucky Ur-Landlord that this thread tries to create. That one of the first posts after re-opening this falls perfectly in that category tells me that nothing good for humanity could come from this thread unless it explicitly becomes a "how do I gently caress over my landlord for being the amoral scumbag we all knew they truly were" thread.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Man, so much good discourse. This thread totally isn't irreparably poisoned and certain people totally aren't in denial about it inevitably being used to crowd source yet more ways to abuse renters

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

etcetera08 posted:

Can we get back to the topic of the thread now?

I'm a landlord in Austin TX and the entitlement of these tenants is absolutely outrageous. I bought this property about 10 years ago before the Austin market really took off (sold most of my stock right before the 08 crash) and I'm now making about 3x my mortgages on the units, but these people cannot even fix their own toilets. I swear to god if one more tenant calls me about a "flooded bathroom" I'm going to have to go over there myself and fix it. Unbelievable, you'd think these "tech bros" would learn how to take care of their own drat toilets.

Just raise the rent on those undesirables tech-bros in much the same way as this, the 12th post ever in this thread suggests.

Authentic You posted:

Raise the rent. My friend's parents own a rental duplex not far from me, and were renting it for what was a pretty drat good deal for the nice neighborhood it's in. When they were looking for new tenants, they'd get a shitton of inquiries about whether they accepted Section 8 (not sure about how Section 8 discrimination works in PA) and lots of low-quality applicants in general, so they just arbitrarily raised the rent by a few hundred a month. After that, only folks inquiring were quiet grad students, young professionals, and well-to-do young families.

Also, don't ever rent to undergrads. Ever. My downstairs neighbor is one of my landlord's maintenance guys, and oh god the stories he tells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

It is, and as far as I know, there is nothing stopping it from being passed at a local level in states where it doesn't exist. That's my point, these kinds of protections can be passed locally if they don't exist at the state level.

Man, sure am glad that the ruling class is so well educated and has the best reading comprehension. What with all the contracts they have us sign and are 100% legal.