Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Thinking about buying my first rental property out of state (I know) am looking for additional research to be done or like a checklist of sorts. I've looked into this a lot and have spoken with several people doing something similar, as well as have access to a lot of real estate professionals, but I guess I'm looking for unbiased opinion to make sure my people aren't just "yes-man"-ing me hoping to get a piece.

I'm currently in NYC, which means buying/renting local is all but impossible, so I'm looking at some single-family homes in the midwest or the south. I don't mind traveling in very short notice if 100% necessary, but I would be leaning heavily on property management/friends/family local to the areas to handle as much as possible without my physical involvement. I'm happy to be on a phone all day problem-solving (I actually enjoy it), but I just can't be there physically often at all.

I have a few properties in mind, all between 60-70k with maybe 5-10k in reno costs. I'm hoping to be able to purchase outright with cash to get a sizable discount on the sale (maybe pay 50 instead of 60?), or maybe even put 50% down so the mortgage is so low that in the event of non-occupancy I won't feel it too much. Similar properties in the areas I'm looking at typically rent between 7-900 depending on the size, so it sounds like a good investment.

Just on a personal note, I'm complete debt free other than my monthly expenses here in NYC like rent/food/whatever and I have about 4 months of living expenses saved up in addition to the 60k I've put aside for this property. Basically looking for an alternative way to cash flow as opposed to just index fund investing, eventually to roll into 3 or 4 more properties in whatever area I land in.

I guess the other option would be to put the 60k down on a multi-family but I feel like that's too big of an undertaking here for a first-timer. Am I completely nuts here? Any advice for my situation trying to break into cash flow and passive income with property rentals?

Hey fellow NYC person. I've also been looking for investment properties in the area. I would also suggest looking at properties in "upstate NY," (read: north of Westchester/Rockland counties) or even NJ/PA that would still be under ~2 hour drive. I think you'd be able to find something decent that you'd still be able to drive to in a day trip (assuming you have access to a car, if not you could do a zipcar and expense, etc). Being near a commuter rail might also be possible, but would likely be in a more expensive area. Since you have the cash on hand, you could also attend foreclosure auctions, and I'm confident you could find something at auction in that price range. PM me because I'd be happy to discuss in more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
Hey guys, I’m in the process of buying a building subject to rent stabilization laws. I’d like to gently encourage my long-time working-class tenants to leave so that I can renovate and raise the rents (and ideally attract more gentrified tenants). I’d appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has successfully handled similar situations.

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002

Ruzihm posted:

I don't know about raising the rent but if you want to get income for renovating that housing unit you could sell it to someone else as a condo, get general contracting licensing & insurance and then get them to hire you to renovate it.
I appreciate the thought but I'm really going for passive income here. I don't want to have to do the work on the building myself. Also, selling the building off early would limit my upside and prevent me from profiting down the road as the rents increase.

baquerd posted:

If you can move in, owner occupancy often trumps any tenant rights and you can simply refuse to renew the lease. Then after a reasonable period of time, move out and get those rents up. Definitely talk to a local property attorney to avoid going to jail for this though.
This is the kind of creative thinking I was looking for. I'm not sure I would live in the building myself since it's in a "gentrifying" not "gentrified" neighborhood, but it looks like other family members can qualify in my region. But yeah good call on consulting an attorney to make sure it's all legal - I wouldn't want to go through all that only to lose to a tenant like that in court. Bonus value that the family member would learn the value of hard work from their own sacrifice versus them just inheriting it down the road without ever contributing to the building themself.

IamFuckMan posted:

I have a suggestion but you won't like it
Shoot, I'm all ears.

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
April 1st and you’d think you leftist shits would get the joke. And all I got was this catchy title.

Public housing or coops are not attractive options for most tenants (at least in the US). What if a tenant can’t afford or doesn’t want to buy in when it’s converted to a coop? Many coops are poorly managed and financial pitfalls for owners. At the end of the day, the vast majority of tenants want a semi-professional landlord who is incentivized to maintain or even improve a building.

IRL actually being a good landlord is difficult and involves hard work. It’s also not super lucrative unless you’re over leveraged, doing illegal poo poo, or working at massive scale (and then you run into financial disasters). drat, go protest in front of Blackstone or something and leave this place alone.

Oh yeah in order to be a good landlord it also helps to have other experienced landlords and resources to turn to. Way to gently caress this place up.