Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

TraderStav posted:

I just got a letter from the city my rental is in that they are now (assuming just starting the program) inspecting the exterior of all non-homesteaded homes because of the recent glut of them from the collapse. They said they will be charging me $125 for the first inspection and $56 for subsequent (every two years) inspections with good sized fines for violations (obvious blight stuff I don't have to worry about) and permit issues. I'm a bit nervous as I had a small deck and fence connecting my deck to the garage (non-perimeter if it matters) put in before it moved out without a permit.

I am certain it's highly location dependent, but what inspection/permit issues have you guys encountered? I have the option to be there for it, which I am considering but fear being put on the spot and say a damning statement that I can respond to later.
Local bylaws will tell you whether a permit was required for that work as they are generally only needed for decks of a certain size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

TraderStav posted:

Just checked the website. ALL fences and decks require permits. Welp, here's to them not looking!
They would technically need a permit for construction but once it's built as long as there aren't any major obvious problems with it then it should be fine. Something would have to give them a reason to ask about it - like if it was obviously unsafe or breaking zoning bylaws.