Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have a random question inspired by some bar + property show I watched. (Called Bar Hunters of course.) If you rent a commercial storefront, then put a lot of money into refurbing it for your purposes (like turning a bank into a bar) are those improvements essentially just given to the landlord? How are you protected from them kicking you out and renting the improved property to someone else at a higher rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

crazypeltast52 posted:

Your lease may or may not cover what happens to tenant improvements which occur during the term of the lease. Landlords will typically pay an tenant improvement allowance, above which the tenant is free to spend on improving the leased space. What is important here is the lease terms and length. If you sign a short term lease without renewal options, the landlord can jack up your rent upon renewal or keep the improvements and lease the space to someone else for more. Between lease renewals there is less lee-way, but upon lease expiry the improvements will typically revert to the landlord and they can do whatever they want with them.

Thanks! Makes sense.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Blackjack2000 posted:

That's spread over 10 months. I don't really know how a property management company would have made any of that any easier, except I suppose that they would have been talking to the tenant instead of me.

That sounds like a good renter. What if it was someone calling to complain about poo poo every other week?