Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jealous Cow posted:

I borrowed... I pay... I assume... I pay...

My labor... allows me...

My only options...

A) ...so I’m...

B) ...causes me...

I can... I eat... If I..., I would still be having my...

What about my...? Should I...? Or should my...? After all... my labor.

You are the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

baquerd posted:

Wait a second, are you saying real estate conglomerates (and in fact almost every business on the planet) aren't using leverage? Do tell! :allears:

These empty houses still pay their property taxes, providing for the local community to an extent. While not a "good" outcome, it's perfectly reasonable to not try to tell people that they have to rent out their real property if they're not using it. It's certainly much better than letting homeless people into the houses to wreck the housing's value. That would be like telling exotic car owners they have to rent out their cars to randoms since they don't drive them very much and with much the same result.

This the company you keep, landlords.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thermopyle posted:

And not just the home itself, but likely the surrounding homes.

In other words, its the non-landlords, but landlords are an easier target.

(Actually, there are a lot of lovely landlords)

The way you implicitly demonize homeless people here is telling.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

baquerd posted:

It's been real educational seeing how policies of treating the homeless really well in SF and LA have worked out.

https://reason.com/reasontv/2019/02/05/stossel-bad-laws-cause-homeless-crisis

There's obviously a huge problem there, but I don't see how giving them housing is going to solve any of it. Giving them proper housing is like end game level poo poo compared to the hurdles they need to jump over to get integrated into society in general.

baquerd posted:

No one's saying slaveowners were better than that, just that slaveowners that didn't take care of their slaves got sub-par returns over the long run. If you look at the most successful slave-owners, you would expect to see a general pattern of excellent treatment of well-behaved slaves.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thermopyle posted:

I really wish you would explain this because it bothers me that you think I demonize homeless people.

You quoted a slavery apologist talking about "the homeless," added this bolding, "My argument is that putting some random homeless people in a free 3bed/2bath in a nice neighborhood is probably going to end with the home value turned to poo poo," and raised it by saying "not just the home itself, but likely the surrounding homes." I think it is callous to place "value" above abject human suffering and infantilizing to imply homeless people "don't have any experience dealing with the maintenance, care, and handling of the responsibility being given to them."

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
AirBnb is absolutely part of the problem but diversity of tactics is cool and good.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

We bought a 900sqft condo 7 years ago and lived in it for 6 years fixing it up as we went. We put probably 12Gs into it over that time.

We were planning on renting it out to a couple trust-fund college kids since its the nicest condo on the property, but now I'm thinking to just sell it so that someone else gets to own something and accrue net worth. Even if i only charged them what my carrying costs are, id still be depriving someone else of starter-home ownership for my greed reasons.

Even though i only have those greed reasons because everyone I owe money to has greed reasons, but gently caress it, the cycle has to stop somewhere. I'm gonna sell that thing.

This is a pretty cool post.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hoodwinker posted:

It's true, but aren't you undercutting it either way? You could be redistributing the wealth you acquire towards more systemically impactful efforts to correct the system. This situation isn't lacking in moral ambiguity: you can provide one guaranteed moral transaction in a broken system at the expense of funneling resources into rectifying issues with that system, or you can choose to sacrifice a smaller moral good for a greater one. Given the opportunity, I would rather seek to rectify the system using my resources than offer one temporary and potentially impotent solution.

Remember: this one shot you've got requires you to accurately gauge the worthiness of the person you are hoping to provide this charitable opportunity to (and offering to sell at a lower price than you could command is a charitable act, since you're giving up your own chance at resources). Maybe the person squanders this opportunity later on and the effort is meaningless. Maybe they go on to do great things. It's a tough situation to judge. But if you make a mistake and the person has fooled you and is actually a shitlord (or more likely, it just doesn't have any lasting impact on the system at large), you don't get a do-over, and society doesn't get better because you tried your best.

Meanwhile, if you forego this more direct opportunity and take the systemic approach, even if the agencies you provide funding to fail in their objectives, you've still created competition amongst the system against the agencies you are actively seeking to destroy, weakening them. I'll take it in the other direction too: if you choose an agency that actively does harm to your objectives, you've made the whole system worse at a greater scale.

This is almost literally the Trolley Problem. There's no simple answer.

Becoming a landlord is a good way to turn the probably-harmless sentiment of leasing to "a couple trust-fund college kids" into genuine animosity for fellow human beings. It sets up a bad power dynamic.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that people who become landlords transform emotionally so that they begin to feel direct animosity for their tenants, or is it just that the relationship between landlord/tenant is an unhealthy power dynamic and operates as if the power-holder has animosity for the subordinate person?

Both, with the former being a consequence of the latter if I had to choose.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hoodwinker posted:

Are you speaking from experience? Is there data on this? I'm legitimately asking. I'm not a landlord and I don't have an interest in owning rental property. Why would the psychological profile differ from any other kind of provider/purchaser transaction? Wouldn't farmers then also feel animosity for the people who purchase their goods since sustenance is a living need (if that's the reason landlords feel animosity)? What about the relationship generates animosity? Why is the power dynamic inherently unhealthy? I'm sorry, I'm not trying to bombard you with questions, this is just raising a lot of them in my mind and I'm sorting them out in written form.

I don't have sources, sorry. It's based on my understanding of Marx and anecdotal exposure to people who have gone down the landlord route, and people who have been exposed to venture capital. In other words, it's based on watching friends – and me, if I'm being honest – acquire wealth and turn into raging assholes who can only relate to people transactionally.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

baquerd posted:

Yes, the long term strategy is just general investment diversification and not overweighting real estate in any particular way, I personally think it should be less than 20% of one's portfolio. If real estate becomes a less compelling investment for political reasons the diversification should allow for a buffer if the properties need to be sold at a loss.

We live in a society where one rear end in a top hat flexing their investment portfolio to internet strangers is permitted dominion over the residents of 30+ units. A freer, more democratic society wouldn’t allow itself to be ruled by such psychotic monsters.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hoodwinker posted:

Are you speaking from experience? Is there data on this? I'm legitimately asking. I'm not a landlord and I don't have an interest in owning rental property. Why would the psychological profile differ from any other kind of provider/purchaser transaction? Wouldn't farmers then also feel animosity for the people who purchase their goods since sustenance is a living need (if that's the reason landlords feel animosity)? What about the relationship generates animosity? Why is the power dynamic inherently unhealthy? I'm sorry, I'm not trying to bombard you with questions, this is just raising a lot of them in my mind and I'm sorting them out in written form.

This is what I meant by being unable to relate to people outside of transactional terms. This is what the accumulation of wealth does to people’s brains:

baquerd posted:

I mean, if you feel that landlords are your rulers, maybe educate yourself more about tenants rights and/or advocate for more of them in your area. A tenant is a equal participant in a business relationship.

baquerd posted:

They are paying me for a clean and safe place to inhabit with a myriad of rights, which I provide. I rarely talk to tenants one on one, but review property management records every couple weeks or so and make key decisions outside of day-to-day maintenance.

baquerd posted:

They're not necessarily incapable of making the decisions (and in fact they try to make more decisions than I'd like if I don't ride their rear end on it), I'm just ultimately responsible for them as landlord. That's what it means to be an owner of business or property.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Simpsons Reference posted:

TouchyMcFeely posted:

I've kicked around the idea of purchasing a rental property on and off for a few years now. Financially, I'm getting close to the point where purchasing a rental property could be feasible.

However, I don't know the first thing about actually owning a rental and I'm guessing it's not nearly as easy or straight forward as the shysters on late night TV would have you believe.

I'm hoping there are a few rental owners who can give perspective and advice to someone looking to move into rental property ownership for the first time. Things that might have caught you by surprise when you were first starting out or things you know now that you wish you had known from the beginning.

The OP is criminally light on content but I'm hoping that just by having a place to discuss rental ownership good discussion between the experienced and not-so-experienced will help fill in the giant gaps.

If you're just starting out you may "wish you had known from the beginning" that you're getting into a business that can get you killed. I found that helpful when I was thinking about becoming a landlord, and ultimately decided I wasn't really interested in killing or dying for profit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

It is, and as far as I know, there is nothing stopping it from being passed at a local level in states where it doesn't exist. That's my point, these kinds of protections can be passed locally if they don't exist at the state level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa%96Hawkins_Rental_Housing_Act