Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

You have to be ridiculously careful with how you reject tenants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

People want cool old houses until the moment they own a cool old house.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Authentic You posted:

Since it was a 'remodel', he essentially got to follow 1900 building code

What? Maybe the law is different where my property is but any remodel work done has to follow current building codes.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

The way I loosely understand it, they get the rent and maybe repairs come out of that and they pocket what's left over?

If the property manager kept all the rent, then how does the owner make any money or pay his bills?

Agreements for property management can vary wildly but for small-time landlords, it's generally 5-15% of the rent and they handle tenant screening, rent collection, and are the first line of contact for problems and issues from the tenants. Repairs can be handled however the contract terms are written, so basically whatever you are comfortable with.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

A $35,000 3-bedroom rental infested with mice makes you a slumlord, I'm sorry. I'm not judging by any means though. There's a lot more profit margin in owning places like that than nicer places.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Does anyone in this thread own commercial property? Man, it seems so enticing to lease out a property on triple net terms, but in my area it seems like you either have tenants permanently or a constant flux of tenants going out of business rapidly and leaving you vacant more than not.

edit: I don't have any commercial property, but I like the idea of it.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 30, 2013

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

KaiserBen posted:

Sounds like you want a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_tenant_lease. Hope you've got *deep* pockets.

I don't know if things are different around my area or what, but I talked to a bank about buying a building with a small branch of a national bank as one of the tenants. There was nothing special about the financing. It wasn't a gigantic plaza or something, though. It was a few storefronts and a few apartments.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Do the HELOC and cash. It's way less trouble. You don't have to suck an underwriter's dick with mountains of paperwork to get a mortgage, you save a few thousand on closing fees, and you can usually negotiate a slightly better price because the sellers and bank know how much less of a hassle it will be. I just did the same thing to buy my second apartment, I closed a week ago and started renting yesterday. Now I'm getting a HELOC on this one that can almost pay for the next. I'm just daisy-chaining HELOCs to keep buying apartments in this building if it keeps working out.

How many do you need to own before you can change the name of the building?

Actually, I've been curious if a town would let you re-name a street if you owned the majority of houses on it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If what you're saying is all accurate, then what's the point of the LLC being designated the beneficiary? If a court ordered is made to reveal the beneficiary of the trust, and it comes back as the LLC, finding the owner of the LLC is at that point trivial, is it not? So why not just skip that step and make yourself the beneficiary?

I suppose the answer would be so that you can have one LLC per property, but I don't know, this all seems very easy to get around if you are sued by a competent lawyer.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody Queef posted:

The point of making the LLC the beneficiary is that if you do get sued for something not negligence related, it still limits your liability to that which is inside the LLC.

And yes, 1 LLC per property is absolutely key. You want to keep your assets as separate as possible.

None of this will do a thing if you're actually sued! This prevents people from thinking you have a lot of assets so it won't be worth their time to take a case suing you. To protect you if you're actually sued, you need an umbrella policy, but I thought that kind of went without saying.

Sorry if I'm being dense here but why not just rely on the umbrella policy?

If you have a property under an LLC, do you have any filing obligations with the IRS or is it -for sure- a disregarded entity? What happens if you want to pull out some equity? Or sell it? It gets really confusing to me really quickly when it comes to having assets under complex arrangements, and I would really like to get a better handle on it.

Does Nevada have a registered agent requirement for LLCs (to accept service)? Missouri does, and such services can cost over $100/yr/entity.

How do finances work? Do I have to keep separate business accounts under the each LLC's name in order to pay for services (landscaping, utilities, etc)? How do I account for adding cash or pulling cash out of the LLC's bank account?

I have many more questions I can't remember just now.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

lostleaf posted:

LLCs are still a very useful tool for any landlord even if they provide minimal asset hiding. They still provide great asset protection in terms of limiting liability. If your LLC is sued and the jury awards over the limit of your insurance, the LLC will limit the liability to the property in question.

This is not really a guarantee, though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

timp posted:

Hey everybody!

Earlier in the thread I posted info on a tenant screening company called Resident Research. I went back to those posts and edited out my personal e-mail address because, well, I don't work there anymore! The company is still there and still offering very thorough reports at an extremely reasonable price...the only difference now is that you won't have a goon taking care of you if you sign up, that's all. PM me if you have any specific questions, I can still put you in touch with someone who can take good care of you.

Love us and leave us, I see how it is. Out of curiosity, was there any talk about changing/relaxing the requirements for getting access to trade lines? I really don't want to pay $60 :saddowns:.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Have any of you ever heard of getting payments from the government for road expansion projects that eat up part of your land?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

Is the expansion taking place in the right-of-way? If so I don't think you can get anything. As I understand it the compensation was already paid out when the initial RoW was put in place.

Assuming there is no right of way or the expansion exceeds it, it's a normal thing to be paid some amount when they grab a slice off your parcel, right? Is it negotiable?

This is mostly out of curiosity, not something that is happening to me.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

There's a deal where some guy needs money asap and has some land that apparently is going to be sliced off for a road expansion. He claims the state/whoever will pay as much as he wants for the entire parcel, which would still be worth a good amount after the work is done.

Trouble is that I can't find any real evidence of his claims about the work or payment from the government. I might make a few calls to see if I can corroborate his claims but at the moment it's looking like there are too many unknowns for me to want to get much further.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

fishhooked posted:

Sounds very speculative. You can double check some of his claims by researching with your states DOT. The project should be listed in their program of improvements which typically plans out 2 to 5 years. That said, I think he's full of it. No way a state would straight up say they'll pay him whatever he wants for the land. Especially in these "government is bad lets cut everything" times.

Its not uncommon for land speculators to hold onto pieces of land adjacent to planned roadways. However, this really isn't for selling parts for ROW. Its mostly for the development opportunities it brings in the future

I stated it unclearly, but what I meant was that he is claiming the government will pay roughly $X when the project actually begins, and he is asking for $X for the parcel. Essentially the land would be free if his claims were true.

I checked on the state DOT website and the project is listed, but it seems to start half a block away and go in the wrong direction from there. I can't find anything else online about it.

It's an attractive idea but I am not really buying the whole situation. He says he came up with the reimbursement figure ($X) based on what they were paying land owners for a previous section of the same project about 7 years ago. I wish I had a clear idea of how to get some reliable verification of any of it.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 1, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Sounds like a scam to me.

-Need money ASAP
-It's a sure thing!
-You're gonna make a lot of money for doing basically nothing!

I'd stay away.

The land is worth the asking price without any other considerations, but I am not really interested in buying a parcel of mostly undeveloped commercial and residential land. I don't think it's an outright scam, but if I can't verify anything about the road expansion project reimbursement, I'm not at all interested in the deal.

But for what it's worth I have been talking to the guy and he's for real. He had a lot of engineering work done on the site to prepare it for a medium sized building where he was going to run his now-defunct business. That doesn't really do me any good though because I am not a commercial land developer and things in that area aren't moving quickly enough for me to buy it on speculation.

update: I told the guy what I was able to find and put the burden on him to show me some tangible proof otherwise. He got back to me and said he can't find anything either, and that he made some phone calls to the town and it turns out that they might expand the other side of the road and that basically nothing is certain about it. Also the timeline is no less than 4-5 years for the project to start. That's a definite no-go for me. The guy seems pretty genuine after dealing with him, but he certainly overplayed the road expansion thing in his ad description.

Now I can turn my attention back to finding some nice apartments.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 1, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

People, do not use Home Depot as a contractor. Find yourself a good independent flooring guy.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I kind of really want to use Home Depot though... I have thousands in store credit and recently found out I can apparently use the store credit to pay for any contractor I get through them.

It's your money; I'm not in charge of it. Just realize you're paying a referral percentage AND their financing rates, so you're giving Home Depot a nice stack of cash for nothing.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I don't know all of the details of owning property in Iceland or even all of the details of your deal, but with the numbers you posted ($161,000, 6.3%, $1175, and assuming 30 years amortization), you will be barely breaking even, even before considering any taxes, fees, insurance, or any maintenance/repairs or vacancies.

You know your market better than I do, so maybe speculating on increasing property values is a safe bet, but I've never liked the idea personally.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

Yes it is very common here. We still have to be vetted to take over.

At the beginning, we will just be breaking even. However just like on our primary house, we intend to make extreme payments (budgeting around 5k USD a month as well are rolling in their rental payments) which will quickly bring down the mortgage below the rental income level. We are using this as a long term saving vehicle, because we lack access to other things an american might sink these extra payments into.

update

She made a counter offer higher than we are willing to go, so we made a counter counter offer halfway between our original, and her counter. It expires tomorrow, but feeling like she will take it. (realtor hinted she had gotten lots of offers, but all lower than our initial one)

Well, good luck. Do you have property tax there? What are your tax implications of non-labor income in Iceland? Do you mind posting some photos of the place you made an offer on?

It seems your mortgages are structured differently than in the US. Our payments stay exactly the same from the start to the end, assuming you don't refinance (which is expensive). But for you, your monthly payment decreases as your balance decreases? So how exactly does the amortization look?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I've started to look at owning rental property, and in IMO you should be looking for a property that is making you money right off the bat. Betting on making large payments to bring your mortgage down and thus your payment seems risky. I don't know your market, but in general a rental property should be making money day 1, encase of vacancy, repair, etc.

It's really not the only concern in some markets. That said, I wouldn't touch a deal with numbers like poopinmymouth is looking at. But again, I don't know his market and maybe aggressive appreciation is a safe bet.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 28, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Whoops, fixed. Sorry for making assumptions.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

llamaperl2 posted:

In May I put in an offer on a 2 unit house I planned to rent. The owner of the house had lived in the city and moved away to New York city; she was tired of maintaining the unit and the two tenants were leaving in May and June.

I went to do the closing walk through an hour before closing and found someone had gone through while the house had been empty for about 1 month and cut out all of the copper pipe in the basement.

What did you do? I would have probably made an offer that accounted for 150-200% of the cost to redo the plumbing (with copper). Might have worked out really nicely.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

gently caress them posted:

http://imgur.com/qWXUj88,ahbELuN

I'm a renter, not a owner, but uh: wtf?

I have never seen a rat, or a sign of a rat. My dog and cat also seem oblivious to any rat existence.
The screens ARE hosed up and the door to the building IS in dire need of some weather stripping, but I don't care too much.
The tub is not cracked. The vent fan in the bathroom is very drafty (and the almost 70 year old windows are, uh, slightly) but meh.

Do I have to do anything here?

:gonk: :stonk:

Give the notice to your landlord. I can't imagine you'd be responsible for anything unless it was due to negligence on your part.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

particle409 posted:

I use a management company, but they're doing a subpar job.

Question: What's the best system to mail self-addressed envelopes to my tenants, telling them what they owe?

Hire a competent property management company. Why are you doing all this legwork AND paying for a manager?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

This is my shuddering nightmare, I have no idea what I would even do if a tenant absconded and left my house in such a mess. Are there companies that will clean this poo poo up for you?

You can always hire someone to do something you don't want to. Particle409's photo set doesn't look too bad (not to diminish the lovely situation he was faced with) and if I was his buddy I'd be willing to go spend a day clearing that poo poo out of there with him.

You could probably put an ad on craigslist in the free section with all those exact photos and have a couple dozen people come and take 80% of it before the garbage men had to deal with it.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Dragyn posted:

Thanks for the input, everyone. I just want to clarify on this one. You're saying that we tell her no and she decides not to move in at all (the tenant, that is)? I assumed that since a leased is signed and security collected, that it is too late to break the original lease.

The only occupants allowed on the lease are the woman and her dog. She is talking about breaking the lease on the first day of its validity. Two people and two cats for "two weeks" are not guests, they are occupants.

So what I think people are saying is that you tell her that you can't allow her to move in her family and their pets unless you come to some new agreement. If that is a dealbreaker for her, then she has lost her security deposit and she's on the hook for the rent while you search for a new tenant. It depends on local laws and the wording of your lease, of course.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I've never had to show an apartment while it was occupied -- what is the norm with that? Do the current occupants usually hang out during the showings? That seems awkward.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Thanks. I would obviously give them at least 24 hours of notice, but I didn't know what else to say.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

dhrusis posted:

hey guys, I own a house outright that I'm renting. I just started renting it last year so this will be the first year of taxes. What special stuff do I get to do this year... do I get to take any cool writeoffs?

All of your expenses, basically, plus depreciation. It gets complicated if you want to be sure you're doing everything right. I pay a tax guy.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody Queef posted:

I missed this back when it was posted, but the Turbo tax version that includes Schedule E income has excellent tools for rental income. It couldn't be easier and does a thorough job of walking you through what to examine. It also tracks depreciation year to year, so once you've entered the asset you're depreciating in, you don't have to worry about it anymore.

The only reason you should hire someone to do taxes for rental properties is if they were in a C corp.

I'm also a tax accountant so you probably shouldn't take my advice. But I do use Turbo Tax because I'd gladly pay the $80 per year to reduce my tax prep time in half during my busiest part of the year.

That's nice, and something I might consider in the future. I was using TaxACT years ago but I started getting confused by various methods of depreciation calculations and worried that I was missing out on deductions and/or making serious errors.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

tentish klown posted:

My family own property in London, most of which is rented out to my friends and on Airbnb that I manage.
I've got about £100k in liquid savings - I want to get another buy-to-let, but a) London property is mega expensive and including a mortgage I would probably only be able to buy something worth like £300k max, which is a 1-bed flat if not a studio apartment, and also it means that I'm super heavily exposed to the London property market.
My current pipe-dream plan is to get a buy-to-let in NYC that I could then let out on Airbnb, and use this as a holiday pad for me and my family. £300k translates to just short of $0.5m which is enough for a 1-bed somewhere not-poo poo in Manhattan.
I earn about £50k/year including the rental yield from my share of the rental properties, hence the crappy mortgage amount. My income should go up shortly though as the startup I work for should be completing a funding round soon.
Now, am I being totally stupid and/or unrealistic? Should I just keep my savings in stocks as they are at the moment? I have no big ticket expenses and don't plan on having kids in the next 5 years, and what I'm after is something that will make me some money after mortgage costs, and will appreciate in value. I don't know a huge amount about New York real estate, so I'm treating it similarly to London which I'ma lot more familiar with.

I think it's a bad idea to invest all of your savings into a criminal enterprise in a foreign country.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody Queef posted:

What? Are you seriously referring to airbnb as a criminal enterprise. :cmon:

As to the poster, investing in a real estate market that you have no knowledge of is a terrible idea. Also scroll up a little bit to see my analysis on having a management company do everything for you, this gets even pricier when they know you're international.

Yes. What tentish klown is proposing is illegal in the state of New York. It is my opinion that pouring your life savings into an illegal activity is a bad idea.

edit: Wait, nowhere did I say that airbnb is a criminal enterprise. Investing in real estate and renting it out illegally is, however, a criminal enterprise in the state of New York (which is where Manhattan is located).

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 12, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody Queef posted:

AirBnB isn't always illegal in NYC. I can't remember the qualifications, but I think it was a week or more and a whole apartment didn't qualify as an illegal hotel.

There's also a possibility for legislation that would make it clearer.

Either way, AirBnB being illegal or not is not why this is a horrible idea. Seriously stick to a location you know.

30 days or more per tenant, or the owner has to also live in the unit being rented out.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I would only be able to make an offer that priced in the place needing a complete rehab including electrical and plumbing. I don't have the balls for it otherwise.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

I'm coming into ownership of a place in a green belt village near London (about 15 minutes out). It's not really a practical place to live unless you're a driver. I live overseas. We already own and rent a house in London proper. Thoughts on whether to sell, keep or why?

My opinion would be to sell it because you can probably put the money to use better elsewhere.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

A tree fell one of my properties and it cost about 450 to fix the roof. So the guy fixed it, I pay him, and while I am paying him he tells me I should have the entire roof replaced for ~2,200. Which is fine, it probably is getting close to needing to be replaced, except he told me after I paid 450 to fix the roof. He said the 2,200 cost would have been the same if he did not do the $450 work.

Why would he not call me and just tell me I should have the entire roof replaced before starting the work? To me that is a mistake by him. Basically if I decide to replace the entire roof I lit 20% of the price on fire. I feel like if I use him I should expect a discount based on this. How would you guys handle this?

If he would have called me and said "Look, it is going to be $450 to fix this, but for $2,200 I will replace the whole thing" I would have probably replaced it right then, but now I will probably wait for problems. The bright side is this tenant is good at calling me if there is any problem so there won't be a slow leak for like 5 months before they bother informing me, which makes me lean towards waiting now that I already paid the $450.

I have never used this guy before. He was recommended to me by someone else.

In my opinion it is on you to consider this possibility. You hired a guy to fix your roof and that is what he did. Yes, it would have been nice of him to tell you to consider just replacing the roof now but I don't think it is his responsibility or something you should expect in general.

You should have asked for a quote for just the repair and for a new roof altogether and make the decision from there. It's a relatively cheap lesson to learn so don't sweat it too much.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The roof is presumably larger than the part that was damaged, and is worn out overall. It's better to replace it than wait for the next leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I think mostly you're exposing yourself to watching someone laugh at you as they go find another place to rent.